Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I am new but think I have the best argument for atheism
I am new but think I have the best argument for atheism
This argument only works if you are intelligent and well-educated, and you must be honest with yourself. This argument is great because it can refute any religion.
Okay. Imagine we are having a relaxed open and honest discussion with eachother. We have a huge stack of index cards. On each card is one of 1000 different religions, gods or belief systems from the present and past. But none of the cards have your religion on it. I read the belief and all the arguments for it off of each card. Supposed holy books, witnesses, prophets, testimonies, eye-witness accounts, archeological evidence, ect. You tell me all the reasons you dismiss each argument. After we are a quarter of the way through something interesting happens. We no longer have to come up with new reasons to dismiss the ideas we can just refer back to previous cards. We get to the end of the stack, and surprise! Your belief is written on the last card. We could easily refute your belief by reffering back to previous cards.
GodlessGirl
RE: I am new but think I have the best argument for atheism
Facepalm

I mean welcome and enjoy your stay Smile
Couldn't be bothered reading your thang... I don't care about refuting any religions. Laughing at them works for me.

Welcome.
Cunt
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

I almost just gave up on this site.
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
To be fair, she is right. It's not an argument against religion as much as an effort in futility, but it would work. It is by no means the "best" anything, though. Keep trying and welcome to AF.
Hello,

Welcome aboard. Hopefully you can use this forum as a place in which you can sharpen your debating and argument-presenting skills.

I think that currently the best argument for atheism isn't just to refute anyone's beliefs just for the sake of it.

The best argument in my opinion is that if we don't do something about the stronghold that Monotheistic religions enjoy and enforce today, then we can never even hope to solve violently urgent matters such as over-population, climate-change and the rapid expenditure of fossil fuels with no Plan B in sight.

Some people would argue that any of the above could be even more pressing than religion itself, claiming that religion is "harmless" and merely a means for the masses to seek comfort and a sense of belonging in something bigger than themselves. The problem is, solving *any* of the aforementioned problems means letting go of religion first, and in the most expeditious manner possible.

Lastly, may I suggest a text-color other than pink Smile ? Took a while to make out what you wrote there.
(July 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm)apostasin Wrote: Hello,

Welcome aboard. Hopefully you can use this forum as a place in which you can sharpen your debating and argument-presenting skills.

I think that currently the best argument for atheism isn't just to refute anyone's beliefs just for the sake of it.

The best argument in my opinion is that if we don't do something about the stronghold that Monotheistic religions enjoy and enforce today, then we can never even hope to solve violently urgent matters such as over-population, climate-change and the rapid expenditure of fossil fuels with no Plan B in sight.

Some people would argue that any of the above could be even more pressing than religion itself, claiming that religion is "harmless" and merely a means for the masses to seek comfort and a sense of belonging in something bigger than themselves. The problem is, solving *any* of the aforementioned problems means letting go of religion first, and in the most expeditious manner possible.

Lastly, may I suggest a text-color other than pink Smile ? Took a while to make out what you wrote there.

Ummmm who the fuck are you?
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
Someone who knows his shit, now zip it.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(July 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: Someone who knows his shit, now zip it.

Hey, just asking Tongue
Hello, G/g

Don't over-engineer this.

Recall the words of H. L. Mencken:

Quote:What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.

This will help you remember that religion ( which unfortunately does exist) is merely a lucrative business for a relatively small band of con men who sell salvation to gullible fools. The product they sell is "god" and none of the bastards has even produced the slightest evidence that their particular brand of god exists.

Welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi, I'm not new but here is another side to me. Whateverist 12 2267 May 2, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  new here....I think Jeanne 29 3034 April 11, 2017 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Jeanne
  New but old Tinamischke 21 2740 November 24, 2015 at 2:57 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I am new to the forums, but not to wondering what the neighbors drank... ParCutz 35 6555 August 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ParCutz
  Nice to finally have people to talk to about atheism wower032 19 4343 June 30, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  New here and new to atheism UNCgirl 21 3699 March 7, 2013 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  New here, not new to atheism. DrFreud 10 2083 March 5, 2013 at 9:36 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New New New Quid 23 4752 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Tongue I'm new but not unfamiliar. 957Chatterton 34 10857 November 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: 957Chatterton
  I'm new here, so you may not be aware of my legendary status, but you soon will be. Gambit 13 3469 April 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: frankiej