Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is the punk rock of religion
Atheism is the punk rock of religion
Just sayin'

Although I guess I need to clarify :p

Real punk rock, not that typically fake American junk, is not over produced, heavy metal with spiky hair. It's stripped back to the basics, cut off as much as possible from tradition, raw expression of music. Punk rock is taking climax and putting it at the beginning. Having your band photos not go through PhotoShop to remove the not so nice reality.

Atheism is this.

And I think it's a religious endeavour as much as any other, in that it's an honest search for meaning.

It's not Valentines day, but you guys know I love you right?

Heart
RE: Atheism is the punk rock of religion
(July 24, 2012 at 1:55 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Atheism is this.

And I think it's a religious endeavour as much as any other, in that it's an honest search for meaning.

Heart

Aren't you sweet. I agree only that atheism can also be a religious endeavor, not that it must be. Some are more passionate about it than others don't forget.

Beyond that, many of us do look for meaning though some on this site have expressed fairly nihilist perspectives. I'll take the meaning, hold the gods. Are you familiar with Joseph Campbell's notion of gods? I can actually embrace that kind .. at least in an as-if sort of way.
(July 24, 2012 at 1:55 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Just sayin'

Although I guess I need to clarify :p

Real punk rock, not that typically fake American junk, is not over produced, heavy metal with spiky hair. It's stripped back to the basics, cut off as much as possible from tradition, raw expression of music. Punk rock is taking climax and putting it at the beginning. Having your band photos not go through PhotoShop to remove the not so nice reality.

Atheism is this.

Heart

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Not real punk, like those glam bands known as Metallica and Guns 'n' Roses, right? They were real religious, honestly searching for something?

Members searching for real virgin ass in a dark alley and then passing on YOU saying, "He's shivering, just giving it up. Where's the punk in that?".

You are so fucking punk that you think Doc Martin was the band leader for Johnny Carson for twenty years. I've got your punk hanging!
(July 24, 2012 at 2:02 am)whateverist Wrote: Beyond that, many of us do look for meaning though some on this site have expressed fairly nihilist perspectives. I'll take the meaning, hold the gods. Are you familiar with Joseph Campbell's notion of gods? I can actually embrace that kind .. at least in an as-if sort of way.
Religious endeavour doesn't have to involve a deity. Nihilism addresses meaning.

(July 24, 2012 at 2:10 am)cato123 Wrote: Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Not real punk, like those glam bands known as Metallica and Guns 'n' Roses, right? They were real religious, honestly searching for something?

Members searching for real virgin ass in a dark alley and then passing on YOU saying, "He's shivering, just giving it up. Where's the punk in that?".

You are so fucking punk that you think Doc Martin was the band leader for Johnny Carson for twenty years. I've got your punk hanging!

I think my Universal Translator broke Sad
(July 24, 2012 at 3:37 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I think my Universal Translator broke Sad

To be expected and nothing to be ashamed about. Universal Translators have a very difficult time with Fuck All Stupid; it's usually an operator error.
Quote: Some are more passionate about it than others don't forget.

Indeed,at least here in Oz. A great many Aussies are largely indifferent. This may be due to being born with built -in, high quality ,bullshit detectors. Socially, religion simply does not come up among normal people.It is considered crass unless one is actually attending a religious service. Even then,one is expected to be considerate of others and not preach or pray at them.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Line of the week "just consider yourself the Prom Queen, or Prom slut ,if you went to a Catholic school" ("Dead Like Me")

Until hearing that, I always thought a Catholic girlfriend was joking when she said "there were two groups at school;my mob and the virgins"

Quote:To be expected and nothing to be ashamed about. Universal Translators have a very difficult time with Fuck All Stupid; it's usually an operator error.

Yeah,usually they forget to take the Babel fish out for a walk. Tiger
(July 24, 2012 at 1:55 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Real punk rock, not that typically fake American junk, is not over produced, heavy metal with spiky hair. It's stripped back to the basics, cut off as much as possible from tradition, raw expression of music. Punk rock is taking climax and putting it at the beginning. Having your band photos not go through PhotoShop to remove the not so nice reality.

Atheism is this.

I see what you're getting at, but I disagree. Firstly, I wouldn't use an analogy or compare atheism with anything else since it's so simple to define directly: atheism is lack of belief in gods. If I were making the analogy, however, I'd say atheism is more akin to turning the music off. The punk analogy for atheism fails for the same reason a classical music analogy would for Christianity; the people that comprise these groups are too diverse to make any generalisations about beyond what qualifies them for their respective groups. It's not necessary, for example, that a given atheist will adhere to reality at all simply by virtue of their atheism, let alone this gritty, "back to the basics" kind.

(July 24, 2012 at 1:55 am)fr0d0 Wrote: And I think it's a religious endeavour as much as any other, in that it's an honest search for meaning.

Atheism is a conclusion which, for me at least, is provisional. There are no dictates or doctrines I'm obligated to follow. The definition of religion would have to be relaxed considerably for atheism to fall within it, although I do agree that some people can be religious with their atheism.

Love you too, babe. Will you have dinner ready for me when I get home? Kthnx. XOX
I agree, atheism is to religion what punk rock is to music, because punk rock is the complete and utter lack of any musical composition.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
If religion were music, atheism would be something other than music. I know what's not punk rock, though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmmZEq5b-8

Meh.

If religions were like genres of music, Atheism would be like pure silence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10717 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
Video Angry Atheist: Michael Jackson, atheism and religion robvalue 32 5196 March 14, 2016 at 5:28 am
  Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests zebo-the-fat 9 2137 February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19348 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Atheism is a religion The Valkyrie 52 10996 October 15, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19815 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49306 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  'Atheism to Replace Religion by 2041': A Clarification Gooders1002 0 1011 August 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Religion vs. Atheism[Have Your Say!] WieldingFacts 9 3712 September 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Polaris