Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:26 pm

Poll: What did you think?
This poll is closed.
It was amazing, up there with the best Opening Ceremonies
53.33%
8 53.33%
It was pretty good, not perfect but overall it was pleasing.
20.00%
3 20.00%
Meh.
13.33%
2 13.33%
I didn't really like it, but it still had impressive elements.
13.33%
2 13.33%
It was an embarrassment, a total shambles.
0%
0 0%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympic Opening Ceremony, thoughts?
Olympic Opening Ceremony, thoughts?
I'm interested to see what people actually thought of it, especially folks from overseas.

I imagine it was very difficult understanding a lot of the pop culture involved in the whole thing, if you're not well versed with British pop culture.

Personally I thought it was pretty good. I don't think it should be compared to Beijing because we are not China. There were times I was cringing and times I was yawning because of the boredom, but on the whole I thought it was a good enough show for the rest of the world to see.

So what do you guys think?

RE: Olympic Opening Ceremony, thoughts?
I was expecting it to be crap, and it completely blew me away. A few things I didn't like, but they became irrelevant when you look at the show as a whole.
Yeah I've been reading some of the criticism online and honestly I just don't understand it. People are saying it was too self deprecating. Fair point, but the games were awarded to London for a record 3rd time, so suck it. Others said it didn't celebrate the Olympic spirit enough. Did they even watch who lit the fucking Olympic cauldron or not? And others are comparing it to Beijing. Let's face it, no one else can compete with what Beijing did, so we had to go for something different.

Ofcourse it wasn't perfect, there were things which many people across the globe wouldn't get, but I don't remember getting much about the Beijing opening ceremony either.

So in response to the criticism I have seen, it just seems to be coming from sad, spiteful people.

My 2 cents anyway.
Haters gonna hate.
I thoroughly enjoyed it! Big Grin

The people that are complaining tend to be the ones that hated it before it even started and were determined it would be bad.
I thought the fact that Tim Berner's Lee was quite literally the centerpiece at one point was fantastic. That, and Mr Bean's performances were my favourite parts.
(July 28, 2012 at 8:18 am)Tiberius Wrote: I thought the fact that Tim Berner's Lee was quite literally the centerpiece at one point was fantastic.

Yeah, my parents were like "who the fuck is that", I had to explain to them how important the creator of the fucking internet is. TO THE WHOLE GOD DAMN WORLD.
Ah, well he's technically not the creator of the Internet. He's the creator of the World Wide Web. Big difference. Big Grin

The Internet was invented by the Americans.
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony, thoughts?
I was having a job seeing it through the tears, having also not expected anything and missing the 1st 5 minutes. Surprised me coz I don't think of myself as patriotic at all. I got bored and switched off the athletes walking in. But I flicked back for the very end.

The commentary explained it, and if foreign viewers didn't have that then I think interpretation would be pretty impossible.

I guess I'm the same kinda age as the creator and that's why it got me. I just thought it was fucking genius.
mr bean running in chariots of fire was hilarious. his whole skit was funny, as always. there was a lot that i didn't get abouit it, but it defintiely looked like they spared no expense and it was impressive from that side, for me. the stadium looks great.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts Foxaèr 10986 256222 1 hour ago
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2039 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 1881 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2165 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2122 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 5443 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1900 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1106 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1141 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What are your thoughts on corporate run media? GODZILLA 3 810 July 8, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: AFTT47