Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends!
Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends!
Hello Everyone!

I am 20 years old and I have been questioning my religion since I was very young. Because of fears that I associated with not believing in "God" I remained a Muslim for 20 years...until a month ago when I decided I could not live like this anymore. I am senior in college and I am holding off on telling my religious family until I know I can financially support myself if they decide to abandon me. I don't have any openly atheist friends and it gets lonely not having a few friends who hold some of the same views on the topic of religion that I do. So I decided to join this forum and try to make some new friends.
RE: Black Female Athiest Looking for Atheist Friends!
Well hello to you. Enjoy the forums.
Welcome to our crazy home.
Cunt
Welcome!
Welcome! I'm sure you'll find plenty of friends here. Some enemies too, but just ignore them. Big Grin
Hello, Mina....

You may enjoy this. It is the conclusion from "Did Mohammed Exist" by Robert Spencer. Islam, it seems, is just as much a pile of political bullshit as all the others.

Quote:Did Muhammad Exist?

Did Muhammad exist? As a prophet of the Arabs who taught a vaguely defined monotheism, he may have existed. But beyond that, his life story is lost in the mists of legend, like those of Robin Hood and Macbeth. As the prophet of Islam, who received (or even claimed to receive) the perfect copy of the perfect eternal book from the supreme God, Muhammad almost certainly did not exist. There are too many gaps, too many silences, too many aspects of the historical record that simply do not accord, and cannot be made to accord, with the traditional account of the Arabian prophet teaching his Qur'an, energizing his followers to such an extent that they went out and conquered a good part of the world.

A careful investigation makes at least one thing clear: The details of Muhammad's life that have been handed down as canonical—that he unified Arabia by the force of arms, concluded alliances, married wives, legislated for his community, and did so much else—are a creation of political ferments dating from long after the time he is supposed to have lived. Similarly, the records strongly indicate that the Qur'an did not exist until long after it was supposed to have been delivered to the prophet of Islam.

In light of this evidence, there is compelling reason to conclude that Muhammad the messenger of Allah came into existence only after the Arab Empire was firmly entrenched and casting about for a political theology to anchor and unify it. Muhammad and the Qur'an cemented the power of the Umayyad caliphate and then that of the Abbasid caliphate. That is the most persuasive explanation for why they were created at all. And once legends about Muhammad began to be elaborated, his story took on a life of its own: One legend begat another, as people hungered to know what their prophet said and did regarding issues that vexed them. Once Muhammad was summoned, he could not be sent away. One pious legend fabricated for political purposes would lead to another, and then another, to fill in holes and address anomalies in the first; then those new stories would lead in turn to still newer ones, until finally the faithful Muslims were able to fill wheelbarrows with volumes of hadiths, as is the case today.

As long as the oddities, inconsistencies, and lacunae exist in the traditional Islamic narratives and the records of early Islam, there will arise people with the courage to seek answers to the questions we have considered here. Up to now, however, those brave scholars have been relatively few in number. This is both unusual and unfortunate. It is unusual in that the world's other major religions have undergone thorough historical investigation; the “quest for the historical Jesus,” a parallel to inquiries into the historical Muhammad, has been a prominent field of scholarship for two centuries. It is unfortunate in that the lack of interest in examining Islam's origins, among Muslim and non-Muslim scholars alike, robs everyone of access to the truth.

To be sure, many fervent believers in Islam resist such historical investigation. Even raising the question of whether Muhammad existed challenges the very premise of their belief system. No Muslim authorities have encouraged such scholarship, and those who have pursued this line of inquiry often labor under threat of death. But scholarly examinations of the origins of Christianity and Judaism have gone forward even as some Christians and Jews, including high religious authorities, condemned these historical inquiries as attempts to undermine their faith. Of course, other authorities have actually approved and even welcomed the inquiries. Islam, however, has remained largely exempt from such scrutiny.

For some fourteen hundred years, Islam has profoundly shaped the history and culture not only of the Near East but also of the entire world. At one point, the Islamic Empire stretched as far west as Spain and as far east as India, as far south as Sudan and as far north as the Caucasus. Over the centuries Islamic forces have repeatedly clashed with Western powers, whether it was in the initial wave of conquests that created the Islamic Empire, the clashes with the Crusaders of the Byzantine Empire over Christian holy lands, or the Ottoman Empire's fierce efforts to control the Mediterranean in the sixteenth century. More recently, of course, the nature of the conflict has changed: No longer are traditional powers facing off on the battlefield; instead, Islamic jihadists are terrorizing unbelievers and seeking in various ways, including nonviolent subversion and the electoral process, to impose sharia law.

This long history of conflict demonstrates that there are pronounced differences between the Islamic tradition and the Judeo-Christian tradition of the West. And yet despite those differences, few have bothered to investigate how the Islamic tradition emerged and what those origins might tell us about the “clash of civilizations” that has been a defining feature of world history for well over a millennium.

Did Muhammad exist? The full truth of whether a prophet named Muhammad lived in seventh-century Arabia, and if he did, what sort of a man he was, may never be known. But it would be intellectually irresponsible not to ask the question or consider the implications of the provocative evidence that pioneering scholars have assembled.

Contrary to the common assumption, Islam and its supposed prophet did not emerge in the “full light of history.” Now, more than ever before, historical investigators have the opportunity—in fact, the responsibility—to usher Islam's origins out of the shadows and into the light. Were they not to discharge that responsibility fully or properly, we would all be the poorer.
Welcome. I hope this place will give you some sense of comfort. :3
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Welcome
Wow.. I did not expect this expect anyone to response to quickly. Thanks a lot for the very warm welcome? I know you guys have probably talked about it a million times..but could you talk about how you came to be an atheist?
(July 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm)mina1991 Wrote: but could you talk about how you came to be an atheist?

I have always been an atheist. I never bought any of the god talk, even when I was little.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black Female Atheist Here In_Front_of_The_Veil 45 4905 March 6, 2017 at 11:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Looking for like-minded people, I found this forum! LivingForever 33 3970 November 3, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  looking for an intilectual sparing partner Soldat Du Christ 74 7670 October 24, 2016 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  O-Oh Athiest-Kisha, notice me B-Baka! SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 10 2460 October 10, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: EruptedCarcassBloat
  hallo friends! isingthereforeiam 18 2639 May 2, 2016 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Joods
  Hi from an Aussie Athiest Eclipse 17 2001 February 13, 2016 at 7:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Another man looking for truth Dayron 41 6212 August 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
Tongue Looking for a place to belong pocket god 18 3048 May 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Raised as a Christian - looking for discussion GriffinHunter 32 7024 March 19, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3043 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172