Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one annoyed by this picture?
Am I the only one annoyed by this picture?
Here it is:
[Image: powerfully%2Bstupid.jpg]

To me, this seems like just another piece of patriotic propaganda meant to poke at people's emotions, making them feel bad if they don't want to do something as trivial saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

And, by the looks of it, the kid in this particular cartoon appears to be in middle school (around 12 or 13 years old), so I imagine he's probably sick of saying the pledge and decided to sit this one out, given that he has probably said it every morning since he was 5. Even if that isn't the case, I'd say bringing a disabled veteran into the classroom is just too much (the main reason I find this picture annoying).

What do you guys think? Does this cartoon make a point or is it just something to evoke guilt and nothing more?
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
RE: Am I the only one annoyed by this picture?
Offended? No. Angry?

Put is way;if that kid was my son,and he was treated like that at his school, I would rip the dopey twat's tit's off (metaphorically speaking)

That kind of bullying surprises me not at all. The truly ignorant and stupid will always fearfully attack the dissenter.
Hehe I'm not offended. I just find it annoying.
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
I still keep wondering what our soldiers are dying for in fucking Afghanistan.

It sure as fuck isn't freedom or the flag.
It's an odd one, for sure. I personally don't know too many vets (disabled or otherwise) who would give a shit whether or not Kevin decided to stand for the pledge of allegiance. I think that's probably the kind of chest thumping patriotism reserved for people who wouldn't put skin in the game. It's easier to be offended by Kevins refusal to say a pledge than it is to make a pledge oneself- specifically, an oath of service (especially since you ca just invoke the effigy of one who did-convenient-). Now I can't speak for eveyone on this, and I know it;s just a cartoon..however...If we're doing the whole patriotism and vets thing, for my part, I'd be more than a little bit pissed if there was no one exercising their right to sit out something like the pledge of allegiance. I put very very little into this country compared to some of my buddies, to imagine that there isn't anyone excersizing those rights which might go against the flow (or that they would be intimidated or pressured for doing so)...well, if I served to "protect those rights" (which would be a hell of a stretch in my case), that would seem really shitty to me.

Do I get to be angry here, that the image of a disabled vet is being invoked in such ridiculous hyperbole?

(someone should tell the cartoonist that a great many Joes are wounded in pursuit of a paycheck btw)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Both! How do you know that the kid with his feet up ins't dealing with the fact that his dad died in the same conflict? Doesn't this put a different twist on the 'how dare you not stand up for the pledge' bullshit?

WWII was the last war (last legally declared war in the U.S. by the way) where Americans could reasonably be said to have defended 'our' freedom. There is a memorial in Washington D.C. honoring over 50,000 men that breathed their last breath in Vietnam. In what manner did Vietnam threaten the ability of children to give non-considered feliance to a flag for ideas that they could not possibly understand?

The cartoon displays a sentiment held by those that are nationalists, and devoid of thought.
I would thank the Marine for fighting for my right to refuse patriotic indoctrination.

Edit: And, if I was that Marine, I would wheel myself right the fuck out of there, because it would offend me to be used in such a manner.
(July 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm)Diamond Wrote: Here it is:
[Image: powerfully%2Bstupid.jpg]

To me, this seems like just another piece of patriotic propaganda meant to poke at people's emotions, making them feel bad if they don't want to do something as trivial saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

And, by the looks of it, the kid in this particular cartoon appears to be in middle school (around 12 or 13 years old), so I imagine he's probably sick of saying the pledge and decided to sit this one out, given that he has probably said it every morning since he was 5. Even if that isn't the case, I'd say bringing a disabled veteran into the classroom is just too much (the main reason I find this picture annoying).

What do you guys think? Does this cartoon make a point or is it just something to evoke guilt and nothing more?

I think it's important to recognize and respect the values of the Constitution and liberty in general. Whether this should occur in government-mandated schools...that's a lot more sketchy.

Schools are having a difficult enough time teaching kids math and science. Requiring them to also teach kids about the value of liberty...well, I'm not sure I want a government employee at a government-mandated education facility to be instructing my kids about liberty.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
Reminds me of that kind who refused to stand for the pledge because he noticed that there wasn't "freedom and justice for all" in the US, esp. with the whole gay marriage issue.
Generally it is the way of this sort of argument to represent the conflicting view as being in the minority.
In particular about the flag I am English and like the majority of my fellow citizens resent having to pay any respect to anybody or any thing. Our flag (the southern French cross) is only seen as something to do with football, or used as a banner by racists.
Personally as a natural rebel who even as a child refused to stand when a teacher entered the class, its not that I am afraid of what they will do to me for not being part of their circle, that is my validation, bring on the consequences, that is my joy.
Don't feel sorry for the kid with the powers of the state being used to control him, he's enjoying every moment of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can't be the only one who keeps waiting for this Foxaèr 13 1999 October 4, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  only humans are gay becouse its sin! atheist04330 3 841 August 2, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Aint No Rest (Members Only) Cinjin 32 8130 April 15, 2014 at 10:30 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Lazarus Raised? Only if pigs fly... Minimalist 0 916 October 22, 2012 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Storm, or: How To Destroy Woo-meisters, using only beat poetry. Autumnlicious 3 1527 April 12, 2011 at 4:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  If only DotA were this exciting :) Violet 0 883 May 1, 2010 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Violet
  If only Tiger Woods was a Christian binny 19 5074 January 7, 2010 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Columbo fans only Darwinian 0 1800 September 24, 2008 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Darwinian