Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assault On Free Speech
Assault On Free Speech
Boston Mayor, Tom Menino backs off threat to block Chick-fil-A from the city.....
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/gen...position=0

Controversy and outrage erupted when Chick-fil-A CEO, Dan Cathy said that he supported traditional marriage...."We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that." - Dan Cathy to the 'Baptist Press'.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel also weighed in saying that he supported an Alderman's call to ban Chick-fil-A from their city..."Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values," - Rahm Emmanuel...(The Chicago Alderman has also backed off his threat block Chick-fil-A as well).

No matter how you feel on gay marriage or any other subject, should an elected official be allowed use his position of authority in public office to assault and threaten people whose speech disagrees with their own personal and political beliefs?
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Assault On Free Speech
I didn't realize that putting the freeze on one's business in a specific city amounted to muting them. I didn't realize it because it doesn't. Move along, no one's persecuting anyone's right to hawk on about their beliefs, no matter how bigoted they are.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[Image: B-StopUsingJesus.gif]
(July 30, 2012 at 10:14 am)A Theist Wrote: No matter how you feel on gay marriage or any other subject, should an elected official be allowed use his position of authority in public office to assault and threaten people whose speech disagrees with their own personal and political beliefs?

Except that it isn't personal.

They're publicly elected officials. You got a problem with the will of the People of Boston, take it to them!

Maybe they'll listen to you and vote him out.

Or maybe they'll vote for him more just to spite you.

But hey, if Jesus don't like it, it must be oppression.

Oppression, hmm. Sounds familiar? It should...

If a company wants to offend a segment of population and their friends, they're free too.

But that doesn't mean said population can't offend back and ask their leaders to refuse them.

After all, it is legal to prohibit Walmart from opening stores in certain municipalities.

The wheel turns, does it not?
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Not entirely sure how a mayor telling a company they can't set up shop in their city is in any way an "assault" or a "threat".

I did think this was worth pointing out when Chick-fil-A claim to be a Biblical business.

Leviticus 11:7 - "And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you."

vs.

Chick-fil-A Bacon Platter:

[Image: ChickfilA-Bacon-Platter.png]

Tasty, tasty, forbidden swine...
The biblical definition of the family unit? Isn't that the one where the wife was bought with livestock, and the children live in fear of speaking their minds, lest they be stoned?

Fuck Chick-Fil-A.

(July 30, 2012 at 10:14 am)A Theist Wrote: No matter how you feel on gay marriage or any other subject, should an elected official be allowed use his position of authority in public office to assault and threaten people whose speech disagrees with their own personal and political beliefs?

Given that he is my elected official, I say yes. I disagree with your assessment on his behavior, but I'm happy I won't see any gay-hating chicken joints going up near my home. You know how we Bostonians roll. If you don't like it, open up a gay-hating chicken joint in town and see how fast we dump your chicken in the motherfucking harbor. Rebels, ftw

Besides, they have Boston Chicke--er, Boston Market already.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
As many others have pointed out counteless times on this forum, stopping Christians from oppressing others is not oppressing their beliefs.

Edit: In fact, I am going to start my own religion that explicitly states that Christians are not allowed to voice their opinons publically, and then I am going to start a bunch of organizations to implement that. When they whine that I am oppressing them, I will invoke freedom of religion and shout from the rooftops for everyone to stop oppressing my religion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women and Assault FrustratedFool 17 1140 September 2, 2023 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1007 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 223 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Toxic masculinity and sexual assault RobbyPants 71 5796 September 30, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Do You Suppose This Slimeball Remembers This Speech? Minimalist 1 351 August 22, 2018 at 7:35 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Power of Freedom vs. Hate Speech Laws Mechaghostman2 13 1586 May 1, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  On top of all the disturbing things in SOTU speech Brian37 0 374 February 1, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Trump was not wearing translator earpiece during Japan PM speech. The Industrial Atheist 4 1063 February 28, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A view on Trump's concession speech mihoda 34 3932 December 3, 2016 at 6:08 am
Last Post: GUBU
Exclamation The Assault on Trump is about to Begin AFTT47 192 17381 March 9, 2016 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist