Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global warming study, with Koch funding.
Global warming study, with Koch funding.
It even changed the mind if a sceptic. Lol Koch.

Quote: In a US newspaper opinion piece, Prof Richard Muller says: "Call me a converted sceptic."
Muller leads the Berkeley Earth Project
 , which is using new methods and some new data to investigate the claims made by other climate researchers.
Their latest study confirms the warming trend seen by other groups.
The project received funds from sources that back organisations lobbying against action on climate change.
Their latest study, released early on Monday (GMT)
 , concludes that the average temperature of the Earth's land has risen by 1.5C (2.7F) over the past 250 years.
The team argues that the good correspondence between the new temperature record and historical data on CO2 emissions suggests human activity is "the most straightforward explanation" for the warming.
The paper reiterates the finding that the land surface temperature has risen 0.9C just in the last 50 years.
In a piece authored for the New York Times
 , Prof Muller, from the University of California, Berkeley, said: "Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming.
"Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I'm now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause."
When establishing the project, Prof Muller had been concerned by claims that established teams of climate researchers had not been entirely open with their data.
He gathered a team of 10 scientists, mostly physicists, including such luminaries as Saul Perlmutter, winner of this year's Nobel Physics Prize for research showing the Universe's expansion is accelerating.
Funding came from a number of sources, including charitable foundations maintained by the Koch brothers, billionaire US industrialists who have also donated large sums to organisations lobbying against acceptance of man-made global warming.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19047501
RE: Global warming study, with Koch funding.
"Funding came from a number of sources, including... billionaire US industrialists who have also donated large sums to organisations lobbying against acceptance of man-made global warming."

That's got to be annoying for them

Considering how big an issue global warming was in the media a few years ago, the opposition have done a good job of casting doubt on it and as such the public fear and interest seem to have waned recently.

In my mind there is no doubt that modern human civilisation MUST have some kind of impact on the biosphere, and I hope that soon it can be established as scientific fact and we as a species can alter our outlook and take precautionary measures.
That our activities have a persistent and noticeable effect on our environment has been established as a fact, it is the specifics of what those effects may be on a global scale (and how to deal with them) that is the subject of contention. That's where I think we dropped the ball. There was an opportunity to sow discord and those with vested interests seized upon it. Personally, I blame sensationalism and tv ratings systems, which practically gauranteed that the initial round of warnings to be cautious of our environment were bound to be the absolute nuttiest of the bunch.

(laying aside those objections that somehow this rock is capable of shrugging us -or anything- off completely)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm still skeptical. Only the BBC who've been lobbying in the global warming movement would draw attention to something so mundane.

But I'm sure it'll please the bastards in government pushing for heavier green tax levies. Fuckers will charge us for breathing and farting emissions before long.
Quote:That's got to be annoying for them

Annoying? I'm sure they regard it as proof that a billion dollars doesn't go as far as it used to. That's why they want MORE.
(July 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: I'm still skeptical.

Of course you are. Your disgust with the policy decisions in your country has caused a cognitive bias that leaves you unable to analyse evidence of AGW from a neutral perspective.

Quote:Only the BBC who've been lobbying in the global warming movement would draw attention to something so mundane.

Hardly. I posted it last night and I didn't get from BBC. This has been news since BEST released their draft report last October. Even more so now that Muller has admitted that not only is Earth warming just like they have been telling, but it is warming for the very reasons they have telling us about.

http://berkeleyearth.org/results-summary/

Quote:But I'm sure it'll please the bastards in government pushing for heavier green tax levies. Fuckers will charge us for breathing and farting emissions before long.

See.... It's that policy thing again. You need to understand that facts are independent of policy.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(July 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: See.... It's that policy thing again. You need to understand that facts are independent of policy.

Very true, I would also like to add that increasingly, independence of fact is becoming a requirement of policy.....Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:That's got to be annoying for them

Annoying? I'm sure they regard it as proof that a billion dollars doesn't go as far as it used to. That's why they want MORE.

The fact that the Koch brothers didn't have this buried can only mean they have contrived a way to make at least 12 figures off AGW.
Can you falsify climate change and global warming?

If you can't, then why can't you see why I'm skeptical.

Besides the planet's fucked in the long-term anyway. In a billion years the sun would've gotten hot enough to boil the oceans away.

[EDIT] Life is fucked, not necessarily the planet itself, of course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great blog post on the history of global warming science. Jehanne 0 596 December 17, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A side-effect of global warming. Jehanne 16 2620 June 4, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Global ocean discovered on Saturn moon Cyberman 24 5151 September 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Global Warming: Long term observations yield unsurprising results popeyespappy 55 9382 March 14, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  John Oliver - Global Warming Video Minimalist 36 7720 May 30, 2014 at 5:18 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Who the hell believes this is a legit study I ask? Mystical 6 1429 May 7, 2014 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Global temperatures since 1950 pocaracas 20 3701 February 21, 2014 at 5:17 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  Global warming skeptic does about face popeyespappy 6 2532 August 3, 2012 at 6:13 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Results from the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature study popeyespappy 7 2807 October 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Phaedra
  GeoScience- Carbon feed back loops and Global Warming KichigaiNeko 1 1101 April 24, 2011 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: ib.me.ub