Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, hi there.
Well, hi there.
Hello everyone! I guess this is where I'm supposed to write a little about myself (not something I do often or well), so here goes:

I am born and raised in Sweden, which as you may know is one of the more secular places on the planet. My family is not religious, although I doubt they would identify as atheists either. Religion was just never a thing while I was growing up.

My first real encounter with religion outside of social studies was in high school, when I happened to come across Conservapedia during an assignment meant to teach us not to trust everything we found on the internet. Lesson learned!

This also introduced me to the whole evolution vs. creationism nonsense, which I had until then been blissfully unaware of. I have since gotten myself into a number of "debates" about the subject on various internet-forums, all of which have ended unsatisfactory (in hind-sight, hardly surprising but still extremely frustrating). As a result of this and other religion-related experiences, I now consider myself to be atheist, leaning towards anti-theism.
RE: Well, hi there.
Welcome
Welcome. Sounds like you had quite the culture shock. Wink
Welcome. I'm from bible hell USA. My family is Swedish on my dad's side. They're Lutherans, I think.

Hello, get yourself an avatar and jump right in.
Quote:I happened to come across Conservapedia during an assignment meant to teach us not to trust everything we found on the internet.

Definitely a place to learn that lesson.

Welcome.
Conservapedia? Wow, you certainly started off in the deep end! Glad you found this little oasis of, if not actual sanity, then at least a nod towards rationality.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(July 30, 2012 at 4:34 pm)Napoleon Wrote: Hello, get yourself an avatar and jump right in.

Good advice but do note how much more fetching a dog avatar is than one involving a cat .. even if it is wearing a hat.

And welcome of course!
Conservapedia is almost farcical, really. Andrew Schlafly knows so little about anything, and yet somehow he's an expert on everything. Welcome to the site!
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, it's been about four years. What's up all? Mudhammam 12 1209 July 15, 2021 at 10:36 am
Last Post: tackattack
  well im back dyresand 12 1223 April 25, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Well hello Abaddon_ire 23 3232 October 6, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3464 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Well, Hai Ari Sheffield 14 2080 March 21, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey there, hi there, ho there NaughtyButNice 19 3069 February 14, 2016 at 4:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  well, hello Mermaid 30 4525 October 10, 2015 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Good Morning! (...well, it's morning here anyway) Lewligan 13 2509 June 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  well I'm here ,what do you know.. Artur Axmann 10 2394 May 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  Well well, what have we here? BlackMason 13 2502 May 11, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie