Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a proof (real analysis)
Need a proof (real analysis)
Can anyone prove the following:

Let g be a real number such that 0 <= g <= 1. Let m,n be integers.

Conjecture 1: a^g + b^g - 1 >= (a+b-1)^g

Conjecture 2: if a >= b, then b^g - (b-1)^g >= a^g - (a-1)^g
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
RE: Need a proof (real analysis)
You can do the first conjecture in one line by multiplying both sides by (1/3)g, yielding
(a/3)g + (b/3)g +(1/3)g >= (a/3 + b/3 + 1/3)g
Which is true by the concavity of f(x) = xg for g in [0,1]

#2 is simple if you interpret each side as an integral of xg's derivative (which is monotonically decreasing, etc.).

Anyway, that's the easy route. Since you've specified that this is a simple real analysis question, were you looking for a purely algebraic argument? (because it feels like there should be one...)
Thinking

afterthought: you meant "let a,b be integers", right?
So these philosophers were all like, "That Kant apply universally!" And then these mathematicians were all like, "Oh yes it Kan!"
(July 31, 2012 at 6:18 pm)Categories+Sheaves Wrote: You can do the first conjecture in one line by multiplying both sides by (1/3)g, yielding
Which is true by the concavity of f(x) = xg for g in [0,1]

You've improperly switched some negatives to positives there, I think.

Quote:#2 is simple if you interpret each side as an integral of xg's derivative (which is monotonically decreasing, etc.).

Anyway, that's the easy route. Since you've specified that this is a simple real analysis question, were you looking for a purely algebraic argument? (because it feels like there should be one...)
Thinking

Any proof will do, it's a useful lemma for my girlfriend's research.

Quote:afterthought: you meant "let a,b be integers", right?

Yeah, I messed with the formatting and forgot to change my variable names.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
(July 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: [quote='Categories+Sheaves' pid='317718' dateline='1343773102']
You can do the first conjecture in one line by multiplying both sides by (1/3)g, yielding

Ah. Indeed I did.
So that gives us (a-1)g + (b)g >= (a + b - 1)g as long as a > 1 (negatives makes this harder :/ ).
By conjecture #2...
1-0 >= ag - (a-1)g and so (a-1)g >= ag - 1
So just using concavity isn't enough...
(July 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: Any proof will do, it's a useful lemma for my girlfriend's research.
Because there's nothing more interesting than another person's question: what's the problem/literature you're looking at?
So these philosophers were all like, "That Kant apply universally!" And then these mathematicians were all like, "Oh yes it Kan!"
(July 31, 2012 at 6:47 pm)Categories+Sheaves Wrote:
(July 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: [quote='Categories+Sheaves' pid='317718' dateline='1343773102']

Ah. Indeed I did.
So that gives us (a-1)g + (b)g >= (a + b - 1)g as long as a > 1 (negatives makes this harder :/ ).
By conjecture #2...
1-0 >= ag - (a-1)g and so (a-1)g >= ag - 1
So just using concavity isn't enough...
(July 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: Any proof will do, it's a useful lemma for my girlfriend's research.
Because there's nothing more interesting than another person's question: what's the problem/literature you're looking at?

It's to prove a lower bound for a function on a network that gives the 'energy' of the network.

Conjecture 2 can be used to prove conjecture 1 through induction.
CliveStaples Wrote:Conjecture 2 can be used to prove conjecture 1 through induction.
Aww. Well, I just threw together an analytic proof using a,b>=1
WOLOG spz. b>=a>=1
Noting that Int(gx1-g on [0,1]) = 1 <--everyday integration
(a+b-1)g = (b)g + Int(gx1-g on [b,b+a-1])
(a)g = Int(gx1-g on [0,a]) = 1 + Int(gx1-g on [1,a])
And then Int(gx1-g on [1,a]) >= Int(gx1-g on [b,b+a-1]) for the usual reason, and the result follows.
CliveStaples Wrote:It's to prove a lower bound for a function on a network that gives the 'energy' of the network.
Does the function have a name?
-----edited because CliveStaples has a sharper eye than I do-----

Also: shorter proof.
(a+b-1)g = (b)g + Int(gx1-g on [b,b+a-1]) =< (b)g + Int(gx1-g on [1,a]) = (b)g + (a)g -1
With the middle inequality coming form concavity.
Quote:Noting that Int(xg on [0,1]) = 1

Int(x^g) on [0,1] = 1/(g+1)
(July 31, 2012 at 7:30 pm)CliveStaples Wrote:
Quote:Noting that Int(xg on [0,1]) = 1

Int(x^g) on [0,1] = 1/(g+1)
Pardon my spelling, meant the derivative Undecided
Hey, thanks for the work! We were stuck trying algebra and couldn't figure it out; using integrals is pretty slick. I haven't actually written many proofs using integrals--except maybe in differential equations.