Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretty standard story
Pretty standard story
I was brought up Methodist and began to question Christianity when I read the Bible cover to cover at the age of 12 for a Sunday School project. So much of it was unsuitable reading for a 12 year old I began to wonder a) why we should follow this book, and b) just how many adults had actually read it that they thought it was an appropriate thing for a kid to read!

A couple of years after that we got a good Religious Studies teacher at school, so Religious Studies stopped being Bible study and started being a study of comparative religions and moral issues. Learning about all the different religions people believed in made me doubt that Christianity was anything special. Our teacher also admitted that he was an atheist, which made me realise it's OK not to believe in god.

I went on to study Philosophy at university, which gave me the critical thinking skills to analyse different belief systems. I toyed with just about everything, going from Christianity through deism, pantheism, paganism and Buddhism. About five years ago someone on a forum asked me to consider whether god was necessary to explain anything that I knew to be true about the Universe. It was that question that made me realise I didn't need god.

From there, the thought processes I have gone through in order to justify my atheism to others, have led me to consider the concept of god to be incoherent.
"Books don't offer real escape but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw" - David Mitchell
RE: Pretty standard story
As Victor Stenger states in God: The Failed Hypothesis, the Universe looks exactly as it should if there were no God.

It is not surprising that you accepted Christianity as fact if you were brought up to believe it from your first year. After all, children automatically believe anything they are told by their parents and family, which is important for the safety of the child. Of course, they can't discriminate between sensible information such as, don't play with fire, or, stay away from the edge of that cliff and nonsensical statements such as, we need to sacrifice a goat to ensure a good harvest, or, Man was created from the clay of the garden of eden by the hand of God.

To the young and impressionable mind, all such statements are equally valid.

Of course, as the young mind grows and becomes more inquisitive and curious about the world around it and starts asking difficult questions in regards to religion then the doubts creep in as they did with you.

The logical thing to do is of course to dismiss the whole ideology as we do today with Greek, Roman, Norse mythology etc. Luckily, you where intellectually strong enough to do this but many don't have the strength or instead, submit to the religious viruses ultimate weapon, fear.

Fear of questioning God, Fear of doubting your elders, Fear of Hell. Without the threats that religion thrives on it would soon evaporate and be consigned to the history books.

Anyway, I digress.. Thanks for your story and welcome to the forum..
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Looking forward to your input on philosophical ideas Tsu.
Thanks for the welcome Smile
"Books don't offer real escape but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw" - David Mitchell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1757 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1938 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5389 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4597 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4648 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2328 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3384 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4544 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  Another Story Raevoryx 9 3812 August 13, 2014 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Raevoryx
  My story. topher 0 1108 April 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: topher