Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God's will.....who needs it?
God's will.....who needs it?
Another catastrophic accident, another deluded witness!
The recent plane crash in the Indian ocean saw up to 152 ( actual figure not established ) dead and just 1 survivor.
The survivor's father is quoted as saying " I can't say it's a miracle, I can say that it is God's will ".

So, if it is indeed God's will that 1 survives, it must follow that it is also God's will that 152 die.

And people worship such a being?

Truly incredible.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: God's will.....who needs it?
My aunt said the same thing when we watched it on the news. HOW IS THAT A MIRACLE? One survivor? The other 152 people werent worthy of being saved? I suppose that one survivor was the only christian too ;p As george carlin would say, statistics like that are not condusive to a supreme being
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
I hate people who say that; it's really quite sick. I feel for the families who sat watching the TV as the father gives God credit for saving one person yet somehow doesn't explain how his "loving" and "merciful" God forgot the other 152.
It is even worse. Many religious would claim that the 152 are saved to be with god in heaven. Some forms of christianity indeed constitute a death cult as Nietchze claimed.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Hey,

I will be brief, as this is very old news now. I really don't like how you guys jump on every article like this, and parade out your tired opinions. We know you don't like it when people thank or credit "God" for seemingly miraculous events. And I know I should let it go, because you deserve a community of perpetual back slapping... All I can say (again) is that it is rude to project your opinion on this situation, and be so "holier-than-thou" over the person quoted. To say that the other 152 are 'forgotten' or 'unworthy' is to be disingenuous at best. You should know full well that that is not what the quotee meant, only your unfortunate way of looking at it.

When you are the miraculous sole survivor, you get to decide what your soundbite is. Also, when you are dead and the miraculous survivor makes a quote about god, you are absolutely allowed then to be offended. Offended and dead. Good, proper atheist dead too.

I just have to say it is rude, and your clear misinterpretation of the poor persons remarks shouldn't be passed back and forth like a doob of stoop, until you all feel a little more superior.

There.
Thanks,
-Pip
(July 2, 2009 at 6:29 pm)Pippy Wrote: I really don't like how you guys jump on every article like this, and parade out your tired opinions. We know you don't like it when people thank or credit "God" for seemingly miraculous events.
I'm sorry, did you forget for an instant that you were on an atheist. discussion. forum? If you don't like it, go away. This is a forum that encourages discussion, and if you'd rather censor and make sure everyone "plays nice" then you have got completely the wrong idea.
Quote:All I can say (again) is that it is rude to project your opinion on this situation, and be so "holier-than-thou" over the person quoted.
We find it rude that this happened in the first place, and in a community of discussion, we like to talk about things like this (especially if they are hypocritical). I just love how you attack us for projecting your opinion over the situation, and then you continue to espouse your opinion of it! So it's not ok for us to have an opinion, but it's fine for you to have yours? Talk about hypocrisy!
Quote:To say that the other 152 are 'forgotten' or 'unworthy' is to be disingenuous at best. You should know full well that that is not what the quotee meant, only your unfortunate way of looking at it.
It might not be what he meant, but theists seemingly forget that their words reveal uncomfortable truths. If God picked this one survivor, then he did not pick the others (for what reason, we do not know). God is meant to be all-powerful, so it was certainly in his capabilities. So either God left the others to die, or he wasn't powerful enough to save anymore. Either way, it's not a god worth worshiping.
Quote:When you are the miraculous sole survivor, you get to decide what your soundbite is.
The don't be arrogant. Be thankful that you are alive, but thank the rescue teams who go to you, or thank dumb luck. Don't thank someone by unleashing the implication that you were somehow more special than everyone else on board.
Quote:Also, when you are dead and the miraculous survivor makes a quote about god, you are absolutely allowed then to be offended. Offended and dead. Good, proper atheist dead too.
That is one idiotic argument, especially when you say it to a bunch of atheists.
Quote:I just have to say it is rude, and your clear misinterpretation of the poor persons remarks shouldn't be passed back and forth like a doob of stoop, until you all feel a little more superior.
The point is, our response to the situation is superior. We wouldn't judge anyone we didn't know if we were in the crash. We'd thank the medical and rescue teams for saving us, but we would mourn with the families of those lost. We wouldn't make any arrogant statements that suggest we were somehow special or "chosen".
(July 2, 2009 at 2:28 pm)bozo Wrote: The survivor's father is quoted as saying " I can't say it's a miracle, I can say that it is God's will ".

What the fuck is that all about? Ugh...sorry but if 1 person is (hypothetically speaking of course) saved by "God's [so-called] Will" out of 150 or whatever, and that's not by definition a miracle then what the fuck is a miracle?

God both actually existing and using his so-called 'Will" to save 1 person out of 150 something, if that wouldn't be fucking miraculous then I dunno what is!

Ugh I hate this wordplay bullshit. That's what it looks like to me...getting around the "Miracle" thing and then saying basically the same fucking thing with different words...it seems?

Thank goodness, not God. Thank all the good in the word. With or without God. Good is good by definition Wink - God's can mean lots of things too...but when it's meant to mean something supernatural, then to thank a "God" such as that is to put all your gratitude into something that there's no even evidence of the existence of...and never mind when you get into the theism part with all the scriptures and all the other extra nonsense(s) added on top rather than just the 'mere' supernatural deistic hypothesis!

Goodness exists. God on the other hand, it seems to me is just a delusion. Any evidence for you yet God(?) Ooops...I guess either you're ignorant (for whatever reason(s)), you can't hear me, I can't hear you...or you just don't fucking exist!

If it's not thanking goodness for me...then it's "Thank fuck".

Apologizes if, that was a 'rant'.

EvF
(July 2, 2009 at 6:29 pm)Pippy Wrote: Hey,

I will be brief, as this is very old news now. I really don't like how you guys jump on every article like this, and parade out your tired opinions. We know you don't like it when people thank or credit "God" for seemingly miraculous events. And I know I should let it go, because you deserve a community of perpetual back slapping... All I can say (again) is that it is rude to project your opinion on this situation, and be so "holier-than-thou" over the person quoted. To say that the other 152 are 'forgotten' or 'unworthy' is to be disingenuous at best. You should know full well that that is not what the quotee meant, only your unfortunate way of looking at it.

When you are the miraculous sole survivor, you get to decide what your soundbite is. Also, when you are dead and the miraculous survivor makes a quote about god, you are absolutely allowed then to be offended. Offended and dead. Good, proper atheist dead too.

I just have to say it is rude, and your clear misinterpretation of the poor persons remarks shouldn't be passed back and forth like a doob of stoop, until you all feel a little more superior.

There.
Thanks,
-Pip

You miss the point. I repeat, please concentrate, if God is responsible for saving 1 out of 152, then he is to blame for the 151 dead.
I ask you directly how/why you can worship such a fiend?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Hey,

Thank you Adrian, but I had not forgotten where I was. I am not confused of surprised that you all share the same attitude towards people thanking their God after a seemingly miraculous event. I am certainly not trying to censor. You can 'play' any way you like, but if you act too silly I feel the need to call you on it. Like I said, this is old hat, and I have heard the 'what about the others' whine before. The dad of the girl almost assuredly did not mean his daughter was 'special' or 'more important to god'. To say that he did is a lie, and although a logical conclusion of his sentence, very, very rude and lacking any composure or compassion.

I hear that you think I am being hypocritical, but please allow me to try to explain one more time. You are very rudely all ganging up on this poor man who lost most of his family recently, about a thing he did not say or intend to say. In this light you are all loudly stating your opinions on his life. I am coming in and chastising you for daring to have an opinion on someone else's life, where it is none of your business. If you misinterpret his soundbite ,fine, just do it quietly by yourself. On the other hand, my opinion of his situation is he can say what he likes. I am not passing opinions on something that is none of my business, I am advocating the guy you are word lynching because he has no defence here. In that description my opinion is in a different light than yours, and so I feel I am not being hypocritical.

We had this argument last week on the chemo thread. For you too call out a stranger in the news is rude. For me to call you on it is slightly different.

Quote:The don't be arrogant. Be thankful that you are alive, but thank the rescue teams who go to you, or thank dumb luck. Don't thank someone by unleashing the implication that you were somehow more special than everyone else on board.

This is what I mean. When you are in his situation, feel free to say whatever you want. But you are not. So he can thank whomever he wants. That implication exists only if your god is petty and arrogant. One that does not exist couldn't be more so, could it?
Then from bozo:
Quote:You miss the point. I repeat, please concentrate, if God is responsible for saving 1 out of 152, then he is to blame for the 151 dead.
I ask you directly how/why you can worship such a fiend?
I got that point, and am trying to tell you it is a very bad way to choose to look at it.
First off blaming god for death is silly. Of course it's kind of her 'fault'... Look, everyone dies. Did your parents have that talk with you yet? To say god is blamed for any number of people dying makes it seem like dying is a bad thing that should be avoided. Death is inevitable, unavoidable and very, very necessary. The new Saramago I am reading is about that. I can worship such a fiend because it is god. You go ahead and worship something that does not include death as a part of the system, and tell me about how it is rational and represents a healthy reality.

I don't expect you guys to understand, because of your atheism. But as much as it offends you that the man quoted thanked god, it offends that you instantly accuse him of intending any rudeness to the families of the people who did not survive. Remembering that his son and wife also did not survive.

I only feel the need to state my opinion of your opinion when yours crosses certain lines. But mine is worthless. I do it because it's the right thing to do.

I think the neighbour is practising sharia law on one of his daughters or something, gonna go check it out...
eternal love,
-Pip
Quote:and if you'd rather censor and make sure everyone "plays nice" then you have got completely the wrong idea.

Ah thank you Adrian ,after the little serve I got from Miss Passive-aggressive for being myself to our latest apologist genius, I thought it was just me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19324 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Who needs to know? worldslaziestbusker 9 1203 July 22, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: worldslaziestbusker
  Does God have rules he needs to follow? ScubaSlayer 106 17122 March 18, 2014 at 1:22 am
Last Post: tor
  Who needs satnav....when you can have " angels "? bozo 12 3065 September 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  In case anybody needs reminding Rokcet Scientist 3 1948 March 7, 2011 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist