Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You're Welcome At Our Church"
Wink 
"You're Welcome At Our Church"
Does anyone else just love it when Christians assure you that you are "welcome" at their church, but then treat you as if the significance of your presence would be ephemeral at best?

These people are such good-intentioned evangelicals that anyone would be "welcome" under their roof, including a self-confessed Satanist. Of course, you have to keep in mind that the word "welcome" in Christian terms means that your presence is tolerated but never missed.
RE: "You're Welcome At Our Church"
Quote:the word "welcome" in Christian terms means that your presence is tolerated but never missed.

You're how old? IE you seem very young to be so cynical and so perceptive.

Sheeet,I wasn't even welcome in my own church (I think it may have been the flatulence)

"Cynic; What an idealist calls a realist" (Sir Humphrey Appleby)

My favourite Christian in recent times ,was old Roy ,a street dero,who would go to the Anglican Cathedral,every week. Making the perfectly reasonable mistake of thinking he was at AA meeting*,if sermon went over about 15 minutes ,Roy would yell "Why don't you shaddup and give someone else a go!" Roy was much loved by the congregation,if not the clergy. They all chipped in and gave him a splendid funeral.

**Not all AA meetings are like church services,with dickheads waffling on about their personal relationship with God..My home group of about 50 members had at least 10 atheists. I found out after a meeting were I admitted I'm a secular humanist. AA has only one condition of membership; a desire to stop drinking. AA has a LOT of atheist members, something the theist majority of members likes to pretend isn't the case.
(July 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:the word "welcome" in Christian terms means that your presence is tolerated but never missed.

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, or neither Huh

In any case, I am twenty.
(July 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm)padraic Wrote: You're how old? IE you seem very young to be so cynical and so perceptive.
Agreed

(July 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm)padraic Wrote: Sheeet,I wasn't even welcome in my own church (I think it may have been the flatulence)
Flatulence is the mark of the regular churchgoer in my experience.
(July 3, 2009 at 12:42 am)DunnoAnymore Wrote:
(July 2, 2009 at 9:07 pm)padraic Wrote:

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, or neither Huh

In any case, I am twenty.

It was mean as a compliment.

(see Sir Humphrey quote and link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Humphrey_Appleby
I'm always amused by the welcome messages on protestant churches. (Catholic churches don't do that, as they tend to be beautiful cathedral-like buildings and don't need to resolve to gawdy signs) But there is one in my area that changes weekly. I always look to see what new message they have.

Churches, by default, have to seem more welcoming. They want more followers because they want more money.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(July 5, 2009 at 12:51 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: Catholic churches don't do that, as they tend to be beautiful cathedral-like buildings and don't need to resolve to gawdy signs

Not in the UK (not since Henry stuck one finger up to the Catholic god ConfusedhockSmile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
"as they tend to be beautiful cathedral-like buildings and don't need to resolve to gawdy signs) "

Unless of course if it's to advertise the Bingo or the "St Paul's Parish,Annual Men's International Beer Tasting Evening". I kid you not. I went,it was GREAT! $15 and all the imported beer you could drink,and all the PROPER sammies (made by blokes) you could scoff down. I'm pretty sure I had a really good time,but it's a bit of a blur.

(imported beer is around $5.00 a small bottle (375ml) here.
I guess it probably depends on the area as well. I'm in Boston where the majority of people are Irish Catholic. They dominate this area, especially Southie and Dorchester where I reside. Churches are every few blocks, but I don't mind because they're beautiful.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
The burden of inconvenient beauty eh?

I agree though. They are beautiful (or at least, they can be. And some more than others).

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You're welcome. Mystic 26 4424 March 1, 2017 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Would you attack the Church if you could? Macoleco 108 13922 December 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  yes, welcome me back you idiots JBrentonK 92 8162 November 5, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Welcome, Blasphemers! God of Mr. Hanky 31 4288 February 21, 2016 at 1:34 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Welcome to the Dark Side Luke Brian37 9 2408 January 4, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  possible origins of islam (higher criticism scholars/ history nuts welcome) Psychonaut 18 5476 August 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The less you attend church the more likly you are willing to support douch baggery Drich 108 28159 December 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 15793 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Going to church can help you live longer? Nitsuj 12 4638 August 11, 2010 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Nitsuj