Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is religion involved in politics?
Wink 
Why is religion involved in politics?
I know that a lot of people here does not agree with mixing religion and politics.

What a lot of people don't know is that especially for Christianity religion and politics should not be intertwined at all. If anything it forbids Christians to be involved in politics. So why is there an involvement?

People like Hitler and many rulers before him used Religion as a bridge to reach the people.

I really do not blame religion at all for the involvement of religion in politics. It is the other way around I believe that it is the government using religion as a bridge just like every ruler in the past to manipulate them and sway their votes their way.

I do not know if this is negative or positive. I see it as truth that religion and the state should remain separated for the sake of the Church. What are your thoughts?
RE: Why is religion involved in politics?
First of all, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, religion has no business being involved in politics, and the fact that it is so influential is a pet-peeve of mine. Both politics and religion, however, allow bad people to exert control over others, so the fact that they mixed was probably inevitable.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I enjoy your comment, and thank you for the welcome! Smile

I hope one day people will realize the politicians who claim to be religious are contradicting themselves. It kind of sucks that people depends on how devoutly religious politicians are to decide if they are fit for the job. Bush is a great example. He pretty much contradicted everything he supposedly believed in.

But my point is that when it comes to church and state, it is the government that should leave religion alone and stay away from it not the other way around, but government depends on it like a leeches. I believe we are wasting time protesting against religion instead of the government, who are the ones that is using religion against the people.
freedomfighter Wrote:But my point is that when it comes to church and state, it is the government that should leave religion alone and stay away from it not the other way around, but government depends on it like a leeches. I believe we are wasting time protesting against religion instead of the government, who are the ones that is using religion against the people.

I think the issue needs to be attacked on both fronts. Simply fighting against the governement's use of religion won't stop those religious people in power that seek to have political influence. For a society to truly be free and actually honor the freedom of religion, the governement and religion have to be wholly seperate.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
freedomfighter Wrote:But my point is that when it comes to church and state, it is the government that should leave religion alone and stay away from it not the other way around, but government depends on it like a leeches. I believe we are wasting time protesting against religion instead of the government, who are the ones that is using religion against the people.

I think the issue needs to be attacked on both fronts. Simply fighting against the governement's use of religion won't stop those religious people in power that seek to have political influence. For a society to truly be free and actually honor the freedom of religion, the governement and religion have to be wholly seperate.

That is right!! and I love your NIN album cover! First track of the album blows my mind!
Wow, I am super impressed that you recognized that. You get on rep point for that.Smile
Thank you! I actually read it in a interview that Trent once had a dream that God's hand was reaching down the earth and that dream inspired the creation of the album. When I bought the album I thought the album cover was a picture of an alien lol.
(August 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm)Faith No More Wrote: First of all, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, religion has no business being involved in politics, and the fact that it is so influential is a pet-peeve of mine. Both politics and religion, however, allow bad people to exert control over others, so the fact that they mixed was probably inevitable.

Did you see what we did in the UK ? Gave the bishops and archbishops palaces to live in, established them as part of the fabric of the nation - the Queen is the head of the church - gave them fancy ermine robes and a seat in a very old and not very important government body, then put them all in a box under the stairs and forgot about them. They are trotted out at Xmas and Easter, or occasionally to whine about "moral decline" on a late night chat show that nobody is watching. Their position and status has become merely "ceremonial".
In the words of Alistair Campbell, Tony Blairs press officer, politicians in the UK "don't do God"

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(August 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm)pgrimes15 Wrote:
(August 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm)Faith No More Wrote: First of all, welcome to the forums.

Did you see what we did in the UK ? Gave the bishops and archbishops palaces to live in, established them as part of the fabric of the nation - the Queen is the head of the church - gave them fancy ermine robes and a seat in a very old and not very important government body, then put them all in a box under the stairs and forgot about them. They are trotted out at Xmas and Easter, or occasionally to whine about "moral decline" on a late night chat show that nobody is watching. Their position and status has become merely "ceremonial".
In the words of Alistair Campbell, Tony Blairs press officer, politicians in the UK "don't do God"

Regards

Grimesy

It became useful for the authorities just like your quote states.
The only time religion should be involved in politics is when a law is passed to say that religion shouldn't come into politics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4513 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19757 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49198 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Pastor states "religion and politics interrelated" Foxaèr 7 2788 May 25, 2014 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11539 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why religion was necessary; why it no longer is. Creed of Heresy 24 14331 August 23, 2012 at 9:38 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5177 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused