Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help
Help
I'm Jewish born and i had a Bar Mitzvah. 1 year ago i realized that i don't believe in a god anymore. My parents don't know about it and i'm scarred to find out what will happen when i tell them. I'd appreciate all the help i can get. Thank You.
"War. War never changes.

The Romans waged war to gather slaves and wealth. Spain built an empire from its lust for gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic superpower.

But war never changes."
- Ron Perlman
RE: Help
How religious are they? Because I'm guessing by the fact they just gave you a Bar Mitzvah that they're pretty fucking religious.
In which case you definitely shouldn't tell them till you're older and not dependent on them for anything.
You don't have to lie, just don't correct them.

I know its kind of a burden and I'm supposed to tell you "Clear your mind, tell them everything." but the fact of the matter is we've had some young people here who did just that and found themselves in a shitstorm that defies explanation.

If they're open minded about that kind of stuff then give it a whirl, otherwise just keep it quiet. Just because they don't know doersn't mean you can't discuss ideas with others or do research into stuff. When I first realized it was all bullshit it was because I actually took the time to read the Bible cover to cover. Then I wanted to learn more and more. Religion depends on the gaps in our knowledge and our unwillingness to accept them, if I were you I'd just focus on filling those gaps as much as possible by learning as much as you can about questions you feel haven't been answered. Keep in mind mankind as a whole only knows so much as of yet but that just means theres room for improvement.
The only thing we can ever truly know with absolute certainty is how little we know, the search for knowledge is a never ending but enthralling one.
Nothing is more important than knowledge and its something you can pursue without interference.
Freeing your mind is only the first step, you have to use it too.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
How old are you, and how dependant on your parents are you?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Well it's up to you if you want to tell them or not.

If you really think the consequences will be bad, then just play along until you can support yourself.

Otherwise, they're your views, and your parents should really just respect that.

Whatever decision you make there are people out there who've gone through similar things, and I'm sure the good people of this forum will give you some support through it if you need people to talk to.
Can you tell us a bit more about your situation?
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
Quote:How religious are they? Because I'm guessing by the fact they just gave you a Bar Mitzvah that they're pretty fucking religious.

Not necessarily. Its an excuse for a family party. Now, if they look like this....

[Image: 2008_03_portman.jpg]

he's got a real problem.
(August 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:How religious are they? Because I'm guessing by the fact they just gave you a Bar Mitzvah that they're pretty fucking religious.

Not necessarily. Its an excuse for a family party. Now, if they look like this....

[Image: 2008_03_portman.jpg]

he's got a real problem.

I'm 14 currently but 15 next month. They aren't shoving their views down my throat. They are open minded but believe in creationism. I want to tell them but i dont know what to say. I've tryed to tell them before but i choked up.

(August 11, 2012 at 9:50 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: How religious are they? Because I'm guessing by the fact they just gave you a Bar Mitzvah that they're pretty fucking religious.
In which case you definitely shouldn't tell them till you're older and not dependent on them for anything.

I know its kind of a burden and I'm supposed to tell you "Clear your mind, tell them everything." but the fact of the matter is we've had some young people here who did just that and found themselves in a shitstorm that defies explanation.

If they're open minded about that kind of stuff then give it a whirl, otherwise just keep it quiet. Just because they don't know doesn't mean you can't discuss ideas with others or do research into stuff. When I first realized it was all bullshit it was because I actually took the time to read the Bible cover to cover. Then I wanted to learn more and more. Religion depends on the gaps in our knowledge and our unwillingness to accept them, if I were you I'd just focus on filling those gaps as much as possible by learning as much as you can about questions you feel haven't been answered. Keep in mind mankind as a whole only knows so much as of yet but that just means there's room for improvement.
The only thing we can ever truly know with absolute certainty is how little we know, the search for knowledge is a never ending but enthralling one.
Nothing is more important than knowledge and its something you can pursue without interference.

I want to tell them today but as i said before, i don't know what to say, i will end up saying; "iii uhhhh bye."
"War. War never changes.

The Romans waged war to gather slaves and wealth. Spain built an empire from its lust for gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic superpower.

But war never changes."
- Ron Perlman
(August 11, 2012 at 10:25 pm)Ellinion Wrote:
(August 11, 2012 at 9:50 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: How religious are they? Because I'm guessing by the fact they just gave you a Bar Mitzvah that they're pretty fucking religious.

If they're open minded about that kind of stuff then give it a whirl, otherwise just keep it quiet. Just because they don't know doesn't mean you can't discuss ideas with others or do research into stuff. When I first realized it was all bullshit it was because I actually took the time to read the Bible cover to cover. Then I wanted to learn more and more. Religion depends on the gaps in our knowledge and our unwillingness to accept them, if I were you I'd just focus on filling those gaps as much as possible by learning as much as you can about questions you feel haven't been answered. Keep in mind mankind as a whole only knows so much as of yet but that just means there's room for improvement.

I want to tell them today but as i said before, i don't know what to say, i will end up saying; "iii uhhhh bye."

I'm very wary of advising either for or against that course of action.
On one hand it could go brilliantly. They could go "Well thats alright son, its your life and we love you no matter what path you choose." or they could go a very different direction.
Only you can know which is more likely.

How do they react to others not of their religion? Do they have people of different views in their social circle? How much importance do they place on their religion?
How do they respond to queries on the subject?
The answers to these questions may act as indicators of how they might react and will help you in making an informed decision.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Wait until you can support yourself.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
You don't have to tell them now or ever; as hard as that may sound. For now just explore who you are and your newfound freedom. You are no less free for them not knowing. There are certain cases where people simply cannot tell those around them what they do or do not believe; lest they lose people who are very important to them. Does this make you immoral or cowardly? I personally do not think so. Then again, I am in a similar boat. It is ultimately up to you, but take solace in the fact that you have people here to talk to, should things get tough.