Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debunking the myth of the Karmma
Debunking the myth of the Karmma
Karmma is one of the central premise of Buddhism. Without Karmma Buddhism almost falls apart totally. I will debunk it, and you guys see if it holds.

To those who do not know about it, it basically say that if you do good towards others, good will return back to you(And Bad with Bad). However, I must make it clear it says only a factor of good returning back to you. So if you, say, give 5 dollars to the poor, it buddhism does not say 5 dollars will fall back to you someday. It only build up a mystery positivge factor where good will return back to you.

Firstly, It has never been observed that you, even having free will, if you do some good or bad things, can change the things outseide your range. We now know the universe. Back then Buddha did not know. We know that we are on Planet Earth in milky way in this present universe.

A)To believe in Karmma, it will the nmean you have powers greater than whatever present scenario you are in. So if you donate the five dollars, somehow, other objects in the universe will change their physical laws and ensure you receive back the good deeds in future. This is simply now proven and equivalent to the 'flying teapot'

B)If you can believe in Karmma, why not believe in anti-karmma, which states if you do bad , good will return to you etc.

C)Karmma raises a lot of questions. For instance, if your intentions are good, but the results bad, what is then the karmmic balance? Or if you have good intentions with good results, vs someone else with even fuller good intentions but not results, who have received better karmma? Using Occam's rasor, Beieve in Science and the now, that only what now exists is much more simpler.

If you have more proofs add too.
RE: Debunking the myth of the Karmma
I always thought Karma was the belief that if you do good you won't be reincarnated as say an insect? correct me if I'm wrong.

also if Karma existed then why do bad things happen to good people?
---legalize it---

All thinking men are atheists. — Ernest Hemingway
You are wrong.

Bad things hapen to good people because supposedly they have done bad in their past, whether this or past lives.

Not reincarnated is one of the supposed good things that can result from doing good, but it is not a guarantee. Supposedly the only guarantee is becoming a buddha
(July 5, 2009 at 3:15 am)Ephrium Wrote: Karmma is one of the central premise of Buddhism. Without Karmma Buddhism almost falls apart totally...

If you have more proofs add too.

If I go over to your house, right now, and kill you,
Most likely:
someone you know,
would get angry at me,
and pursue a course of action,
that would soon lead to my own experience of pain

that is just most likely,
but not necessarily true,

because it depends on:
who you know
and
those peoples desire to punish the person who caused you pain.
but it also depends on:
how forgiving the other people involved are
(which would determine their part of their own karmic experience
- i.e. being more forgiving, is good karma)

so at some level, it does appear that there is a reality to karma.

Finally:
by having the least beliefs,
you would be creating the least karma,
which would be the most peaceful state of mind
(i.e. best karma; if you believed in karma)

but there must be some basic karma beliefs,
such as less killing from me,
means I personally will witness less killing (theoretically).

The idea of Karma seem to be fairly inoffensive.

It did wonders for earl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAKsyDN_04

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Much like the nonsense about "The Secret", there is a fraction of truth to Karma.

If you screw over enough people, odds are reasonable you'll screw someone who can get back at you or perhaps one day finds himself in a position to get back at you or perhaps you'll eventually develop a reputation for screwing people and suffer accordingly. This is not due to any magical force but simply cause and effect.

Likewise, with "The Secret", if you think about what you want and get clear on your goals, your more likely to achieve them than someone who doesn't have that clarity. If nothing else, your subconscious mind may direct you to take certain actions to make your goal attainable. Again, there's no magic at work here but simple cause and effect.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I always thought of Karma as more about do good unto others and you'll build good relations around you, do bad and people will turn on you
(January 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Much like the nonsense about "The Secret", there is a fraction of truth to Karma.

If you screw over enough people, odds are reasonable you'll screw someone who can get back at you or perhaps one day finds himself in a position to get back at you or perhaps you'll eventually develop a reputation for screwing people and suffer accordingly. This is not due to any magical force but simply cause and effect.

Likewise, with "The Secret", if you think about what you want and get clear on your goals, your more likely to achieve them than someone who doesn't have that clarity. If nothing else, your subconscious mind may direct you to take certain actions to make your goal attainable. Again, there's no magic at work here but simple cause and effect.

As with everything ...there is a grain (very small) of truth regarding the thing known as 'Karma'

All I know is that I have seen "it" work eg: 'Cause and Effect' and it works very well. I think the Wiccans have a similar notion of the Three fold "Blessing".

'Magic' is only something that is not understood. Thinking
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Karma is a complete load of fudge, for example; there have been countless times where people have committed evil acts and prospered. Likewise there have been countless times where people have done good acts and bad things happen to them afterwards.
undefined
(January 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Much like the nonsense about "The Secret", there is a fraction of truth to Karma.

Most sober explanation of Karma I've read..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god Sicnoo0 20 1410 July 12, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The myth of atheist core believe. The Lion Roar 102 17901 June 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Debunking hell dyresand 14 3284 February 12, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Evisceration of the Exodus myth goodwithoutgod 33 11932 October 12, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Myth of The Angry Atheist brewer 35 8049 July 31, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Athene
  myth vs religion!!!!! yuriythebest 11 4883 August 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet