Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are proxies absolutely anonymous?
are proxies absolutely anonymous?
I mainly use Tor Vdalia & Hotspot Shield.

posting here is low profile & I don't think its a risk, but I'm planning to post in a Salafi government loyalists forums to face them head on, & I wanna be sure if its 100% safe.
RE: are proxies absolutely anonymous?
Depends on the nodes that Tor uses. If the same person owns the entry and exit nodes, theoretically they could be able to determine your real IP. If they own all three nodes, it becomes trivially easier.

Also be aware that your average, unsecured browser gives plenty of information to the server on its own, and additional information can be obtained with appropriate script and DHTML content from the server.

While it's likely possible to surf anonymously, it's also equally easy to miss something if you're not technically savvy.

What about anonymizer services? Anyone know?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(August 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Depends on the nodes that Tor uses. If the same person owns the entry and exit nodes, theoretically they could be able to determine your real IP. If they own all three nodes, it becomes trivially easier.

how do I know if they own all three nodes?should I just obtain a new identity until I find one where each node is owned by somebody else?

(August 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Also be aware that your average, unsecured browser gives plenty of information to the server on its own, and additional information can be obtained with appropriate script and DHTML content from the server.

While it's likely possible to surf anonymously, it's also equally easy to miss something if you're not technically savvy.

What about anonymizer services? Anyone know?

so a proxy isn't enough? currently I use chrome, is it secure? & how do I block the additional information.
You can't know if they are owned by the same person. It's a vulnerability with Tor that's practically unavoidable. They select the servers at random so the risk is lowered, but it's still theoretically possible to get three nodes owned by the same person.

You shouldn't be using Chrome on Tor. There is a special build of Firefox which doesn't leak information (JavaScript is disabled by default). Download here: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
I dont trust proxies,instead I use a VPN (virtual private network)
try this one,its free: http://cyberghostvpn.com/
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

(August 22, 2012 at 11:27 am)Homo Sapiens Wrote: I dont trust proxies,instead I use a VPN (virtual private network)
VPNs often keep logs, and you cannot prove that they aren't. The beauty of Tor is that it is provably secure and anonymous if the nodes used aren't controlled by the same person.
(August 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(August 22, 2012 at 11:27 am)Homo Sapiens Wrote: I dont trust proxies,instead I use a VPN (virtual private network)
VPNs often keep logs, and you cannot prove that they aren't. The beauty of Tor is that it is provably secure and anonymous if the nodes used aren't controlled by the same person.

yes i agree VPN keeps logs,but you have private VPN's that deletes your logs,or they dont store them at all

Yes tor is very nice,i like it because it supports GNU/Linux as well,but my wifi is very slow and when using tor the sites load so slow that you loose your mind.

So i keep my anon. by just always using private mode,and using programs that clean your computer when you are done (BleachBit),And i dont use google i use startpage.com

this is good for any average user,living in tolerant countries,but if you dont have that luck it's better to buy a private vpn that does not store logs

P.S: Tiberius you have a nice beard

(August 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm)Homo Sapiens Wrote: yes i agree VPN keeps logs,but you have private VPN's that deletes your logs.
Clearly you don't know how networking works. Logs can be kept by whoever runs the VPN servers, or the routers, or the firewalls, etc. Logs can be kept at all times.

Believe me, having a VPN does not mean your activity on the network is unlogged.

There is a reason why organizations like the EFF only recommend Tor, and do not recommend VPNs. Tor is provably anonymous; VPNs are not.
Quote:Yes tor is very nice,i like it because it supports GNU/Linux as well,but my wifi is very slow and when using tor the sites load so slow that you loose your mind.
The sites load so slowly because your connection is passed through 3 nodes, often located in different geographic locations to try and increase the chances of getting three owned by different people.

If you want total anonymity, you need to sacrifice some usability at some point.

Quote:P.S: Tiberius you have a nice beard
Thank you.
(August 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Clearly you don't know how networking works. Logs can be kept by whoever runs the VPN servers, or the routers, or the firewalls, etc. Logs can be kept at all times.
yes you are right,i never took the time into searching how vpn's work i spend my time learning GNU/Linux instead.

P.S: finely in high school they will teach us python language.

P.P.S: also check this out http://torguard.net/index.php
niceee!