Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web Application Fuzz Testing
Web Application Fuzz Testing
Over the last few months I've been developing a fuzz tester for web applications as part of my MSc project. If you don't know what fuzz testing is, it is basically where you throw random or unexpected input at programs and see how they respond. With a web app, that might be anything from binary data to specially crafted SQL injection strings.

Fuzz testing is very important for security, and unfortunately not many QA teams do it, since the current range of fuzz testers out there are either too confusing to use, not powerful enough, or can't easily be automated. My fuzz tester aims to be the ultimate solution; simple to configure, able to test any part of an HTTP request, and fully automated.

I'll be continuing development of the fuzz tester after I submit the MSc Project (early September), but I really want people who understand web applications to test it and report back bugs / suggest features. If you are interested, please let me know in this thread.

Current Features:
  • It's a command-line application (outputs results to stdout and an HTML file).
  • Tests can be configured using a XML based "scripting" language. This is both great (because XML is so easy to write), and horrific (because XML really shouldn't be used this way).
  • Any (yes, any) part of an HTTP request can be "fuzzed".
  • Fuzz values can be taken from a file (line by line), or from a number incrementor (either integer or double), or from Random binary input.
  • You can use multiple different fuzz values in the same HTTP request (something that is lacking is almost every fuzz tester I could find).
  • You can easily check for the presence of strings or fuzz values in the HTTP response, or even a HTTP response unrelated to the one that was fuzzed (again, something lacking in other fuzz testers).

I have a list of features that I'll hopefully be adding over the next few weeks before I finally submit it for review. For now though, that's it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Web SimpleCaveman 24 863 January 9, 2024 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Coronavirus plotting on a web map WinterHold 6 1042 May 26, 2021 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  bots and the change of the web. WinterHold 29 2393 June 20, 2020 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to make a "span" across the diagonal of a web-page? FlatAssembler 6 967 May 26, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Solar System simulation: my latest web app. WinterHold 8 1003 February 7, 2020 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  [Serious] Multiple Sclerosis Map: my latest web project WinterHold 22 2942 October 4, 2019 at 10:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Is front-end web development dying? WinterHold 18 1498 September 10, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Welcome to McAfee Web Advisor popups... Rev. Rye 5 3039 June 4, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Microsoft has released another bot for testing. brewer 5 1201 April 15, 2016 at 9:10 am
Last Post: brewer
  Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.) Rhondazvous 26 4283 July 24, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA