Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from Sweden
Greetings from Sweden
Hi there people,

I´ve been lurking these forums for a couple of days as a guest, and finally got around to register an account.

Here´s a quick introduction of myself. If someone would like to know anything else please don´t hesitate to ask.

Well as subject title says I am from Sweden and as Sweden is one of the most secular countries in Europe I guess it´s no surprise that I am an atheist.

I Love basketball (huge fan of Shaq since -93 or -94, but I don´t have a certain affinity for any special team right now). I used to play myself, but since there is no team in my area I have retired - at least for now.

I dont come from particularly religous family - my parents has never showed any signs of believing in god, even though they are officially christian protestants.

My brother converted to Islam before he got married "to show respect to his wife´s family" but I suspect he would not pass for a good muslim - he always changes the subject when I bring it up for discussion.

My girlfriend is atheist, like myself. She is originally from Iran, and she came to Sweden 7 years ago as a refugee because of her political views.

Well, I think I´ll sum up there, this is already longer than I originally intended. Looking forward to my stay here, see ya!
RE: Greetings from Sweden
I can identify with your brother, as mine also had to do the same if he was to get married to an Iranian girl. It didn't happen anyway...

Welcome! Big Grin
Welcome!
(August 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I can identify with your brother, as mine also had to do the same if he was to get married to an Iranian girl. It didn't happen anyway...

Welcome! Big Grin

Actually my brother´s wife is half-Indian, half-Sudanian. We have a very international family... Big Grin.
(August 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm)jots Wrote: Actually my brother´s wife is half-Indian, half-Sudanian.

I was just referring to having to become a Muslim.
(August 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(August 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm)jots Wrote: Actually my brother´s wife is half-Indian, half-Sudanian.

I was just referring to having to become a Muslim.

Yes, sorry I misunderstood you.

As far as having to become a muslim, I don´t believe he was required to convert, he chose to do it anyway. Why he did that is beyond me, but I guess he scored a lot of points with his wife´s family. They even suggested him changing his name to a muslim name, but he drew the line there...Tongue
(August 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm)jots Wrote: As far as having to become a muslim, I don´t believe he was required to convert, he chose to do it anyway

Yes I'm sure they don't 'force' you, but they will perhaps make it difficult to marry if you refuse to go along with their demands...
Välkommen, välkommen Jots!
..or seeing your avatar makes me want to call you P-chan Tongue

Where from Sweden are you (if it's not too impertinent to ask)?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Välkommen, välkommen Jots!
..or seeing your avatar makes me want to call you P-chan Tongue

Where from Sweden are you (if it's not too impertinent to ask)?

Thank you Kayenneh

Hehe, Love Ranma 1/2 Big Grin.

I come from Mariestad, it´s a small town near lake Vänern if you are not familiar with the geography of Sweden.
Scania I've got covered, the rest, not so much Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 774 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1191 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 814 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1295 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1263 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings everyone h311inac311 11 1286 May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2798 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 1022 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm