Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Months = 10,348 Hack Attempts = 10,348 Failures
4 Months = 10,348 Hack Attempts = 10,348 Failures
On 17th April 2012, I started logging all attempts to gain access to our server. 4 months have passed, and a total of 10,348 attempts were made. Suffice to say, all of them failed.

Here is an analysis of the passwords they tried: http://atheistforums.org/honeypot-analysis.txt

From the passwords used, I predict that most of the attacks were automated, probably a bunch of script-kiddies who had no idea what they were doing. Clearly though, some were actively trying to break into the server. I have their IP addresses, and once I have finished my MSc (few weeks), I will be writing to the owners of them.

Anyway, I thought you might all be interested in knowing how often the server is attacked given our recent downtime. More importantly, it demonstrates how secure the server is (in case you doubted that).

- Tiberius

P.S. Here is the full list of username / password combinations used (in [username/password] format): http://atheistforums.org/honeypot.txt.gz (gzipped)

P.P.S. Safety Dance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs
RE: 4 Months = 10,348 Hack Attempts = 10,348 Failures
It's safe to dance!
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Tib;

I don't suppose you have a virus which will cause their hard drive to format itself?

If not,let me have some addresses and I will send Guido,our master of arms around to see them. As usual ,Guido be accompanied by Maurice,his hunting ferret. Guido will be be carrying his Gladstone bag,which contains a large pineapple and a small mallet.Angel Cloud
Aw, our wedding song. Tongue

Good work, babe.
(August 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm)Tiberius Wrote: P.P.S. Safety Dance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Ah, yes.... Men Without Hats!

They should've called themselves "Men With Only One Hit".
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
[Image: sKZPW.jpg]
10,348 Hack Attempts detected.
Lets not get complacent.
Also, is it really a good idea to broadcast this? You might as well be presenting a challenge to every hacker on the net and promptly sticking a target on your own forehead.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
It's an atheist forum. The target is already there, melodramas are us. Tongue

Anyway, this is why you all have secure passwords now. If they do get in, you're all good, aren'tchya?

And who is complacent? All I see is Tibby implementing more and more security measures all the time. First, he had to set it up so he could keep track of this shit. Then, he followed up and let you guys know what is going on in the background here. All of this is after he changed the password policy so our stuff would be safer. I would say he is on the ball before the ball even gets there. So, lighten up. Big Grin
I'm not saying thats not praise worthy I'm just saying; if you're being hunted by a pack of rabid dogs in a hostile wilderness you don't strip naked, dip your extremities in BBQ sauce and scream at the top of your voice "HA! THOSE FUCKING MONGRELS STILL HAVEN'T CAUGHT ME!"
I kind of thought it was a good point. Dunno
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Oh, it's not a terrible point, but I really doubt they read the forum and Adrian would really be the one to know how secure the server is. I do think we can infer from the above numbers that it's pretty fucking secure. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hack The Forums Tiberius 9 5113 August 4, 2013 at 11:49 am
Last Post: wolf39us
  5 Months of Growth Tiberius 3 2523 January 28, 2009 at 5:58 am
Last Post: Tiberius