Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books By Norse Pagans?
Books By Norse Pagans?
Does anyone know about books or writings done by believers in the gods of Thor and Odin, or that kind of mythology?

I know that literacy in that part of the world was pretty poor, but if there was any book like Dante's Inferno about Valhalla and Norse mythology it would be great.
RE: Books By Norse Pagans?
http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/sagas.htm

As with most epic poetry (including the fucking bible) it seems to have had a long oral development phase before being written down.
Havamal (think norse proverbs), Prose Edda - as translated by S.S. (though this one likely has immense amounts of christian influence).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Germanic writing without christian influence would be written in runes, and as the runes were mainly used as general reminders, what was written of the gods was just a sort of extreme shorthand version of a commonly known and spoken story. The culture passed on its knowledge in poetry, so we can presume there were commonly know poems and we find with some runic inscriptions that it seems they may have just written down the first letter of each line of a poem. At least that was how it was explained to me.
There's the poetic and prose Eddas, which compile most of Norse mythology.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Is Beowulf English or Norse in origin?
Beowulf; English written down by monks, but it shows how there was to a great extent a shared culture. There are no works that I know of written before christian influence, because in runic script the story would at best only be hinted at, and latin script only came in with chistianity.

I think you might like to know a few details about runes.
People generally were not as illiterate then as is generally presumed now. This is some information I have picked up over the years
Under Alfred the Great, all children were educated to know their letters by law and that went on to the Norman Conquest when the practice seemed to have just dwindled away. Although educated by the church the letters they learnt included some runes, such as thorn which was the letter for 'Th' sound.
When gothic script came in the letter looked like a backwards facing Y thus 'Ye olde pube' was always 'The Old Pub' the es on the ends of the words denoted a hard O like that in on, rather than a soft oo, and a hard U sound like that in up, which I think shows that peasants were to some extent literate even in late medieval times, in that pub signs would need to be spelt correctly, and that thinking people spoke saying Ye was a latter misinterpretation when the thorn letter was no longer used
(August 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/sagas.htm

As with most epic poetry (including the fucking bible) it seems to have had a long oral development phase before being written down.

Thanks for posting that link. I was reading 'Eirek the Traveller' and stumbled across some very valuable information that backs up my theory of the early Christians:

The king says, “You will achieve this wish if you believe in everlasting God and then take holy baptism, and you will then be brought to life in his body and blood and become a friend of God. Accept Christ and praise him well in all things.”
Eirek said, “I’ll do exactly what you urge. But tell me what I ask you: Where is hell?”
The king says, “Under the earth.”
Eirek asked, “What is above the earth?”
“Sky,” says the king.
Eirek asked, “What is above the sky?”
“The Firmament-Heaven. In that heaven are all the stars like burning fire.”
Eirek said, “What is above the firmament?”
“Waters are fixed there, as cloud.”
“What is above the waters?”
“The Spiritual Heaven, and it’s believed that angels live here.”
“What is above that heaven?”
“The Heaven of Intellect. In that heaven God himself and his kingdom may be seen by those who are deserving of this.”

Quite clearly, the Greek king believed in different levels of heaven, which is similar to the mystery cults of the 1st century, thus backing up my theory that the epistle writers believed in nothing more than a spiritual messiah.

Do you know how far back these tales go? The website says they were penned down in the 13th century, but I wonder how long these tales were being told prior to them being penned.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(August 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Do you know how far back these tales go?

[Image: L2-07b.jpg]

The bird in this image could well be being used as a symbol for the soul just as it can still be. People do not tend to reinvent the wheel, but adapt it to their needs. Stories could go back a very long time and leave no evidence.
(August 21, 2012 at 11:59 pm)jonb Wrote:
(August 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Do you know how far back these tales go?

[Image: L2-07b.jpg]

The bird in this image could well be being used as a symbol for the soul just as it can still be. People do not tend to reinvent the wheel, but adapt it to their needs. Stories could go back a very long time and leave no evidence.

That's quite interesting. I still think context is rather important though, hence why I would like to know what era these stories were reflecting.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best books on religion? EgoDeath 15 1684 August 29, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2029 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Nobody reads science books metaphorically! ignoramus 55 13312 June 11, 2018 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  What new books would you like in the Bible? Fake Messiah 13 2130 February 6, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  First Temple to Norse Gods in 1,000 years to be built in Iceland Schwa 10 2704 February 4, 2015 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Alex K
  The monopoly manual and holy books. Lemonvariable72 23 4463 November 18, 2014 at 10:00 am
Last Post: JonDarbyXIII
  Abrahamic Religions and their Holy Books xpastor 20 7096 October 27, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Free holy books Fromper 7 1893 May 29, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cato
  How do you prove your religion/holy books were not corrupted. Mystic 24 8646 March 7, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Comparitive Mythology Books The Skeptic 6 1344 December 5, 2011 at 10:39 am
Last Post: LarissaAnn