Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't most Christians read the Bible?
If I personally believed in the claims of Christianity then I'd be reading the Bible from cover to cover, if I thought I was going to some magical place when I died.

It seems insane in the extreme to me that you would believe something was the word of God but not bother reading it, as if I believed that I'd be reading every word.

There are Christians on this site who behave like they wholly believe it, but those high number of Christians who don't show any interest in reading the Bible incline me to think they must not really actually believe in it.

[/i]
Intellectual laziness and fear. Most don't admit that they pick and choose. Most never do a Bart Ehrman-esque horizontal, critical study. I used to be that guy until I met a freethinker who challenged me: "Why do you believe what you believe?". I read the bible again, cover to cover then really dug in to it's history. By the time I started reading Ehrman, it was all falling apart.

My Christian friends who are dismayed by my leaving Christianity refuse to read the things I do out of fear. Some admit this to me...they tell me they HAVE TO BELIEVE these things. What a shame. They're not stupid, just afraid of admitting they were indoctrinated as youth and afraid of re-grinding the lens they see the world through.
RE: Why don't most Christians read the Bible?
I sympathize with xtians who don't read that shit. Most of it is dreadfully boring.

Instead they rely on some "preacher" to tell them what to think and they are happiest that way.

Thinking is hard.....being a xtian is easy.
Minimalist Wrote:Most of it is dreadfully boring

This pretty much sums it up.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
How often and for how long do you have to read?
1 hour a day? 8 hours a day?
Once a week? Twice?
Do you have to start at the beginning, work your way through to the end and then start over?
Would you still think me "insane in the extreme" if I skipped a few of the minor prophets?

I didnt know there was a set rule. Blush
You have a lot of studying to do....especially of the "prophets."
Because most christians don't give a crap about Christianity. They're fine with a "deistic" approach to it, don't wave it around in public, and don't try to force it on everyone else.

Religion isn't a big deal to everyone.
Because they're cherry picking wankers.
I wonder how many of the theists who do read it do so as a I kind of penance?
They aren't permitted to read 'dirty' books:

19 Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. 20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9740 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8348 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7747 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22900 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7579 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15563 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7882 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why are Christians so uneasy about the paranormal NuclearEnergy 45 12913 May 4, 2017 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why can't Christians accept the fact that Hitler was a Christian NuclearEnergy 118 16678 April 18, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8642 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton