Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism and Origins of Christianity
Judaism and Origins of Christianity
I am looking for materials (articles, books, etc) about the relationship between Judaism and Christianity. Did Christianity really have its roots in Judaism? Or was the pagan origin of Christianity and Jesus in particular carefully intertwined with the Israelite traditions to somehow depict a successor belief system? I have already read a few materials describing the pagan origin of Jesus but looking for an alternative view on this issue. Till now, I have short-listed two books, namely:

A Portable God: The Origin of Judaism and Christianity

and

Judaism and the Origins of Christianity.

After reading the reviews, I am not convinced that these are good materials for my research. Any suggestions from members will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
RE: Judaism and Origins of Christianity
Schoarly views have changed to a vast majority of scholars believing that the best way to understand Jesus is through 1st Century Judaism. This can also be seen in the New Testament by the plethora of constant Old Testament (the Jewish Tanach) quotes and references. One scholar that had a major influence on this was EP Sanders. I'd recommend one of his works, perhaps, http://books.google.com/books/about/Jesu...9JaKKaeCIC
"the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate" (1 Cor. 1:19)
Thanks for the suggestion. I have read some materials by E.P. Sanders and not particularly impressed. His work start from the notion that a historical Jesus existed and then builds upon this premise. Confirmatory bias is something I can do without!
As far as I am aware, every scholar in a relevant field who has a teaching job believes that Jesus existed.
The evidence that convinced them?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 25, 2012 at 10:09 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: As far as I am aware, every scholar in a relevant field who has a teaching job believes that Jesus existed.

Yes...because the same douchebags promptly declare anyone who doesn't not to be "relevant." It's an old scam and it does nothing to make your stupid fucking godboy any more real.
(August 25, 2012 at 10:25 am)Rhythm Wrote: The evidence that convinced them?

Are you as skeptical about other things as you are about this? If all scholars in other fields agreed upon something, would you demand their evidence before believing them. If you want to disagree with them, you are the one that needs to provide the evidence, not me.

(August 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(August 25, 2012 at 10:09 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: As far as I am aware, every scholar in a relevant field who has a teaching job believes that Jesus existed.

Yes...because the same douchebags promptly declare anyone who doesn't not to be "relevant." It's an old scam and it does nothing to make your stupid fucking godboy any more real.

Yes, of course, it is all a conspiracy theory. Here is Bart Erhman on the topic. He has made a good living doubting the Jesus of Christianity and debating Christians. He wrote the book "misquoting Jesus" throwing into question the reliability the Christian Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRx0N4GF0AY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIhX4BWCPU

Definitely a conspiracy by Christians to silence Christianity…
Quote:He wrote the book "misquoting Jesus"

I read it, Dickhead. Have you?
(August 25, 2012 at 3:17 am)Forsaken Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I have read some materials by E.P. Sanders and not particularly impressed. His work start from the notion that a historical Jesus existed and then builds upon this premise. Confirmatory bias is something I can do without!

Let me rephrase:
His work start from the notion that a historical Jesus Christ, in the form of the divine Messiah, existed and then builds upon this premise.
(August 26, 2012 at 12:41 am)Jeffonthenet Wrote: Are you as skeptical about other things as you are about this?
Yup.

Quote:If all scholars in other fields agreed upon something, would you demand their evidence before believing them. If you want to disagree with them, you are the one that needs to provide the evidence, not me.
So the limit of your knowledge is that "scholars agree"? You probably shouldn't offer that little tidbit if that's the case. I assume that these scholars are prepared to present the evidence that led to their conclusions, and if you're going to champion the conclusion then you should be as well......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Origins of hell? Rdougall 10 1465 February 8, 2023 at 9:36 am
Last Post: brewer
  Judaism - What is judaism - When did it start? Ferrocyanide 19 1904 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? BrianSoddingBoru4 335 22172 August 23, 2021 at 5:21 am
Last Post: GUBU
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3472 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Judaism: Blood Libel Richerd83 34 1785 July 11, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The origins of Mesopotamian monotheism. Brian37 20 2982 March 19, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Brian37
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6580 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1787 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 21940 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2451 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist