Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When all else fails .... just make crap up!
I was strolling through a thread on another website about personal beliefs about God. I noticed many people had a falling out with their religion and, well, didn't hesitate to just design their own! Here's a small sampling:

"I found God on my own but no religion matched my beliefs. I believe god gives us our own purpose in life and reason for being here."

"I believe in many deities and angels but they all serve one god (and apparently this is the god of the bible and the Koran and the Bhagavad Gita)."

"I believe we all look for God with our hearts and it's the goal of our lives to be with him."

"God didn't create the universe and he isn't personal. I interact with him through nature."

"I don't believe in a God. I believe in a force."
RE: When all else fails .... just make crap up!
"May the force be with you, always"

Religions are full of contradictions, so people just create their own personal view to avoid those undesired details. They may create a number of other undesired contradictory details of their own, but they can't see it. They just want to keep the mental crutch that prevents them from thinking too hard about the world around them.
Religion is all about making shit up. Like how every Christian seems to have their own version of Christianity. Some Xtians believe there is no fire and brimstone, some do. Some believe Xtians are as likely to end up in hell as atheists, some don't.
It's all about making up what you want to be true instead of actually finding out what is true or not.
Godchild believes each believer gets his/her own galaxy to rule. This stems from desire, he want this to be true and so he believes it.

All make belief. Which is why I stick to science.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
My personal favorite is, "I'm not religious. I have a personal relationship with God."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"I'm not religious, I'm spiritual." (which in some cases can be somewhat different)
"I don't have faith, I have something else that is faith that I don't call faith because I feel faith is a bad word to use."
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(August 28, 2012 at 5:22 am)Marnie Wrote: I was strolling through a thread on another website about personal beliefs about God. I noticed many people had a falling out with their religion and, well, didn't hesitate to just design their own! Here's a small sampling:

"I found God on my own but no religion matched my beliefs. I believe god gives us our own purpose in life and reason for being here."

"I believe in many deities and angels but they all serve one god (and apparently this is the god of the bible and the Koran and the Bhagavad Gita)."

"I believe we all look for God with our hearts and it's the goal of our lives to be with him."

"God didn't create the universe and he isn't personal. I interact with him through nature."

"I don't believe in a God. I believe in a force."

This is what you are up against, humanity's desire for assurance that it is "special."

Quote:The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called "faith."
-- Robert Green Ingersoll
I think a lot of people, indeed it was to our biological advantage several thousands of years ago, seek out the spiritual or divine. In order to fill that hole, those who can't adopt a religion will sometimes make up their own. Confusedhrug: At least these religions aren't forcing others to follow them and tend to be accepting of other's views. Though, occasionally, this is how some cults are formed...
"I don't believe in a God. I believe in force." (Mao Tze Dung)
Darn, FNM beat me to it! They never have a religion, do they? It's always a personal relationship. Personally I like my personal relationships with real people with whom I can interact in some way, physically or online. You know, people I can be reasonably sure actually exist and will at least acknowledge my presence. I'm just funny that way.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Define religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 5623 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Anyone else just drop religion with a snap of the finger? PookieNumNums 21 2496 July 16, 2020 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Gnomey
  Survivalist conspiracy crap..... Brian37 27 2961 January 18, 2019 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 7001 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole Figbash 18 2357 October 14, 2018 at 4:53 am
Last Post: no one
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3734 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11559 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7214 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20806 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12700 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan