Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I'm Angenlina and I'm an Atheist
Hi, I've just joined and hoping to find strength and support. My husband is from a Christian family , 2 priests included!! He has rekindled his faith : I just don't get it!?!im trying to get my head around it at the moment; my inner thought is 'that's fine, each to their own and respect differences'. I know I'm going to be faced by all of them at some point, I desperately don't want to upset anyone especially his 87 year old recently bereaved gran!! He has told them that I have said its 'all a delusion' I occasionally find it in me to say that when I've had Gin!(bad move) he accused me of leaving my book 'God is not great' in the bathroom When his father visited !! I didn't !! I love this man and in time I hope things will settle, truth is I want to be proud of what I believe and it's making me feel weak and repressed
Anyway, hello to you all :-)
xXAngenlina starXx

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way"
Christopher Hitchens

Closing statement of the debate with William Dembski at Prestonwood Baptist Church, Plano Texas November 18th 2010
RE: Hi I'm Angenlina and I'm an Atheist
Welcome!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Thanks Tobie ;-)
xXAngenlina starXx

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way"
Christopher Hitchens

Closing statement of the debate with William Dembski at Prestonwood Baptist Church, Plano Texas November 18th 2010
(August 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm)Angenlina star Wrote: he accused me of leaving my book 'God is not great' in the bathroom When his father visited

It's your house too you know. If you want to leave a nice brown squishy surprise in the toilet for his father I'd say you're perfectly entitled to do that as well.

Welcome anyway, get stuck in Smile
Haha, I did say that's I can read what I like in our house ( he is currently reading the bible on his iPhone)
His reply: 'you see you get all defensive when I say anything like that'
I do like a good read on the loo!!
The worst bit was when
He said , 'you do seem a bit lost if I'm honest'
I'll get my coat;-)
xXAngenlina starXx

Christopher Hitchens

Welcome!
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

(August 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm)Angenlina star Wrote: I occasionally find it in me to say that when I've had Gin!(bad move) he accused me of leaving my book 'God is not great' in the bathroom When his father visited !!

In my experience, gin is never a bad move but your mileage may vary of course. If "God is not Great" went down so well, you ought to try seeing what "The God Delusion" might do... or if you want to be really adventurous, "Jesus Never Existed". Not only great fundy-bait but also fine ways to spend a few hours on the loo (I thought only we blokes did that?).
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Not only great fundy-bait but also fine ways to spend a few hours on the loo (I thought only we blokes did that?).
Contrary to popular belief women have to poo too.

Welcome!! I'm new too, but I've found these forums rather enjoyable.
My husband and I debate religion as well... Though we are both Atheists we disagree about certain things.
Good point and well-made, I was just under the impression that, traditionally, only we blokes were supposed to spend hours reading on the bog. I know I've been on the receiving end of a lot of feminine moaning about it.

It's like when we're asked to do some job around the house, put up a shelf or something. If we say we'll fix it, we will. There's no need to remind us every six months about it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hello, Angelina.

Spend some time reading the apologist crap around here. I assure you that your relations will not come up with anything new....or convincing.

All religion is a load of crap designed to keep the gullible in line.

Remember this and all will be well.

Quote:The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.
- Edward Gibbon