Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm and Atheist and new to the forums...
Rainbow 
Hi, I'm and Atheist and new to the forums...
Hi everyone,

I've been stalking the board for a couple of weeks as a guest now and thought I'd finally say HELLO and give you a little bit of my background. I'm an Atheistic Tango Dancing Scientist. Woot!

I could have been brought up in a very religious environment. My mother's family was devout Polish Catholic and EVERYONE went to Catholic school in my mom's generation. She kept going to church with the family and originally got married in a Catholic church to her first husband. They got divorced because she wanted to have kids and he lied about being sterile. When she wanted to marry my dad years later the church said NO-WAY. So they just got married by the Justice of the Peace. As a baby they tried to have me baptized (under pressure from my grandparents)... but were unable to. They had recently moved to a new city and didn't know many people. Being a godparent is serious business in the church so if you brought someone that wasn't Catholic they wouldn't baptize the child. The only friends my parents trusted with my care happened to be Protestant. No baptism for me. No church either. Ever. I think I lucked out.

I'm now married and my husband does have faith, but we don't go to church. His dad was a youth pastor and his mom is very religious. She talks about how she loves being near the beach "Because God made it" or that people with psychological disorders are "probably possessed by demons." Oftentimes it is hard to carry on a logical conversation with her.

Approximately three years into our relationship we finally had to tell his mom that we were living together (w/o being married GASP!) because they were coming to visit us for my PhD Graduation... she FREAKED out. Crying that we were going to hell, that we were sinners, etc. We saw no problem with it...I was in grad school, he was in college and we were happier and financially more stable living together. She learned to cope with us being a couple when she realized that her son was going to live his own life (including non-religious me) whether she liked it or not. I always thought most parents wouldn't mind their child dating someone like me... I have a PhD, a great job (professor), I'm fit and healthy, I like to think I'm talented and creative (I'm also a dance instructor), kind and thoughtful... but because I don't believe in an imaginary guy in the sky I was undesirable as a daughter-in-law. It just seems stupid to me. I make her son happy, but that doesn't matter. I don't believe in Jesus so I was 'not a good choice.'

I happily took a job in another state to be farther away from her and her ramblings and judgement. I didn't want our future kids (if we have any) to be influenced by her crazy talk.

Anyone else have In Laws that judge you for being Atheist or try to stop you from getting married?

Anyways, I'll be happily reading and commenting!
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence" ~Doug McLeod
RE: Hi, I'm and Atheist and new to the forums...
Hey and welcome to AF! ^_^

I don't have crazy in-laws (my in-laws to be are atheists, yay!) but my brother-in-law's parents (especially his mom) are very devout. When she found out that my sister was pregnant without planning on getting married, she cried for a week, because the child would be a 'bastard'. Fortunately she's a great and kind person when it doesn't come to religion, otherwise I wouldn't be able to stand her. I'm worried about my nephews though, she's indoctrinating them, so I need to have serious discussions with them once they get a bit older.

What kind of scientist are you, btw? Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thanks for the welcome Kayenneh!

Yay Atheist in laws! My husbands father is a wonderful person, even though he's the pastor he's actually respectful of me being an atheist.

(August 29, 2012 at 1:26 am)Kayenneh Wrote: What kind of scientist are you, btw? Smile

I'm a Meteorologist! I study weather... so when people start blaming sinners and gays for why tornadoes or hurricanes are targeting certain towns it makes me VERY grumpy.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence" ~Doug McLeod
Hello, T/B. Pull up a chair.... or better still, kick one out from under one of the fundies.
Thanks Minimalist, I hope I can help in the battle against stupidity.

Big Grin
Welcome T/B

http://youtu.be/1dUCZxaTJzk
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome!
My mom's family are Polish Catholics too. Family reunions are rather overwhelming. My husband's family are pretty religious. My father-in-law used to be a minister, but they tend to be accepting or believe in the don't ask don't tell system.
Anyhoo, look forward to your contributions!
Your mother in law sounds like a bitch.

Welcome.
(August 29, 2012 at 3:42 am)tangobunny Wrote: Thanks Minimalist, I hope I can help in the battle against stupidity.

Big Grin

Actually it's also the battle against willful pig ignorance and doublethink,and we are treading water.

Welcome from sunny Adelaide south Australia,city of churches and bizarre murder capital of my great nation.

PS Great first post.
Hi Napoleon,

(August 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Your mother in law sounds like a bitch.

Yup. B.I.T.C.H. with a capital B. That's why I live in Hawaii now... she can't bug me too much here...

She's also one of those "all high and mighty" types, playing the "I'm so righteous, and do-goody" game.....unless she needs to lie (she says while lies of course) to get something she wants or to make herself or her family look better. It irritates me to no end.

Thanks for the welcome. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3108 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Hello Forums. Nimbus 20 1876 February 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5952 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New to the Forums RiddledWithFear 24 3012 November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3451 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3303 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Question New Atheist, depressed, and wondering how to cope with reality. IanHulett 56 10456 February 21, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3028 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  New to the Forums The Incredible Atheist 27 3879 September 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New to the atheist forums MusicLovingAtheist 18 3937 September 2, 2014 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Ben Davis