Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
HI, I'M SO NEW HERE!
Thumbs Down 
HI, I'M SO NEW HERE!
So like I'm ALREADY new to the forums and so many of you are trying to tell me that there is absolutely NOTHING that created the universe.

I'd like to agree with that statement just to be cool with all of you and go with the flow except there's no such thing as NOTHING creating the universe.

So I'd like all of you to actually TELL me why it was NOTHING that created the universe. All of you post Youtube videos and some really stupid reasons. No, I want something that might be able to change my mind.
RE: HI, I'M SO NEW HERE!
Go back to school and learn about the Big Bang theory before you go shooting your mouth off.

( Just a little friendly advice.)
Urgh, thought you were a troll-and-run.

This is the moron who claimed the papacy is proof of god's existence.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(August 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Go back to school and learn about the Big Bang theory before you go shooting your mouth off.

( Just a little friendly advice.)

Nice one, except I'm not insane and I know what the Big Bang theory is. It's an explosion that caused some subatomic particles to like go around and form planetary bodies, stars, comets, meteorites, meteors, etc. All of this was because of a dense and hot state which expanded rapidly.

Is that a good enough definition for you, or do I have to explain more. And I would agree with you except what caused the hot and dense state of nothingness?

(August 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm)Tobie Wrote: Urgh, thought you were a troll-and-run.

This is the moron who claimed the papacy is proof of god's existence.

Well gee, I don't know, it has survived from like the Ancient Roman times to right now. But then again the common person didn't have that much education so I guess they had to resort to the monks and religion for all of that.

Ok, I think I now know my faults. I didn't think about it.

Well I'm going to side with you Tobie... For now... But you're still English.

And for all of you who had met me in the chat, yes I was trying to troll you all. I admit.
(August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm)Smartass Wrote: So like I'm ALREADY new to the forums and so many of you are trying to tell me that there is absolutely NOTHING that created the universe.

I'd like to agree with that statement just to be cool with all of you and go with the flow except there's no such thing as NOTHING creating the universe.

So I'd like all of you to actually TELL me why it was NOTHING that created the universe. All of you post Youtube videos and some really stupid reasons. No, I want something that might be able to change my mind.

The word 'created' carries too many inherent assumptions. Instead the question is 'How did the current form of the universe come into existence?'. The big bang theory is the best explanation we have so far but we can only track back as far as the few moments after the expansion of the singularity.

How did the singularity come into existence? Currently, there are only hypotheses.
Sum ergo sum
http://burro.cwru.edu/stu/advanced/cosmos_bigbang.html

Quote:The Big Bang model of the universe's birth is the most widely accepted model that has ever been conceived for the scientific origin of everything. No other model can predict as much with as high accuracy as the Big Bang model can.

A common question that people ask is "What happened before the Big Bang?" The phrase "in the beginning" is used here to refer to the birth of our universe with the Big Bang. In the creation of the universe, everything was compressed into an infinitesimally small point in which all physical laws that we know of do not apply. No information from any "previous" stuff could have remained intact. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, the Big Bang is considered the beginning of everything, for we can never know if there was anything before it.

Now the theory may be right or wrong but far from proposing that everything came from "nothing" it suggests that EVERYTHING was compressed into a single point.

For examples of some stupid fucking "god" poofing everything into existence from "NOTHING" we have to turn to religion.....and I leave that to ignorant jesus-freaks.
Smile 
RE: Non-sarcastic hello!
(August 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://burro.cwru.edu/stu/advanced/cosmos_bigbang.html

Quote:The Big Bang model of the universe's birth is the most widely accepted model that has ever been conceived for the scientific origin of everything. No other model can predict as much with as high accuracy as the Big Bang model can.

A common question that people ask is "What happened before the Big Bang?" The phrase "in the beginning" is used here to refer to the birth of our universe with the Big Bang. In the creation of the universe, everything was compressed into an infinitesimally small point in which all physical laws that we know of do not apply. No information from any "previous" stuff could have remained intact. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, the Big Bang is considered the beginning of everything, for we can never know if there was anything before it.

Now the theory may be right or wrong but far from proposing that everything came from "nothing" it suggests that EVERYTHING was compressed into a single point.

For examples of some stupid fucking "god" poofing everything into existence from "NOTHING" we have to turn to religion.....and I leave that to ignorant jesus-freaks.

That's all I wanted. Just some sort of humility to what created what in the beginning, we don't know, and you explained that with the most profoundest logic possible. I mean everything before the Big Bang we do not know about. That's really all I wanted.

Thanks. You have my support. Seriously you've convinced me, Minimalist.

Oh and I almost forgot, here's a smiley. Smile Btw why does your avatar have a penis... Not that I want to know but don't you think putting that online is a bit... Crass?
(August 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: http://burro.cwru.edu/stu/advanced/cosmos_bigbang.html

Erm, isn't that an inaccurate description of Big Bang cosmology? We don't know what happened at the Big Bang; we only know what happened one planck-second after it. The "infinitesimally small point" stuff is just to make the math work out; I don't think we can even know what the actual state of nature was, given the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (hence the planck-second).
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
(August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm)Smartass Wrote: So like I'm ALREADY new to the forums and so many of you are trying to tell me that there is absolutely NOTHING that created the universe.

No one knows for sure how the universe really started. One hypothesis is that there's no such thing as absolute nothingness, and that universe began from quantum vacuum, which is as close to absolute nothingness as it currently seems possible to get. There are numerous other possibilities that are mathematically sound and agree with what is already known, but we need more evidence to say which one is most likely to be correct with some certainty.

(August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm)Smartass Wrote: I'd like to agree with that statement just to be cool with all of you and go with the flow except there's no such thing as NOTHING creating the universe.

There's no such thing as nothing in capital letters which could have given rise to the initial expansion, but it is possible that nothing in small letters could have.

(August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm)Smartass Wrote: So I'd like all of you to actually TELL me why it was NOTHING that created the universe.

I don't know of any atheists who think it was NOTHING that created the universe, although most Christians maintain that God created the universe from NOTHING, which I find a little odd: if God is omnipresent, where was this NOTHING he created the universe from?

(August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm)Smartass Wrote: All of you post Youtube videos and some really stupid reasons. No, I want something that might be able to change my mind.

Most of us have never posted a youtube video about atheism. You don't know us. We don't care what you want and we don't care if you change your mind. Do us a favor and stay a believer.
Quote:No one knows for sure how the universe really started. One hypothesis is that there's no such thing as absolute nothingness, and that universe began from quantum vacuum, which is as close to absolute nothingness as it currently seems possible to get. There are numerous other possibilities that are mathematically sound and agree with what is already known, but we need more evidence to say which one is most likely to be correct with some certainty.

I suspect that the number of mathematically sound theories that are consistent with what is already known is unbounded--I think you could arbitrarily extend a consistent theory by merely appending mathematically-consistent objects (the consistency could be achieved through appropriately defining the object you're adding), similar to a field extension.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 577 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 620 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 994 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1266 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1100 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie