Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hundreds of proofs of nothing!
Hundreds of proofs of nothing!
Not to preach against Christianity, but I recently found a very, very, very long list that was written by a variate number of people titled "Hundreds of Proofs of God’s Existence". This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Actually, no it isn't. the very MOST ridiculous thing I've ever read was a thread on landoverbaptist.net titled "Protect your family the Christian way! Get your daughter raped!". I know they are just acting over there, but they're taking it a bit far. Anyway, here's the link to the list: (link).

Here are some things in the list:

TRANSCENDENTAL ARGUMENT, a.k.a. PRESUPPOSITIONALIST (I)
(1) If reason exists then God exists.
(2) Reason exists.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

ARGUMENT FROM DESIGN, a.k.a. GOD OF THE GAPS, a.k.a. TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
(1) Check out the world/universe/giraffe. Isn't it complex?
(2) Only God could have made them so complex.

ARGUMENT FROM MIRACLES (I)
(1) My aunt had cancer.
(2) The doctors gave her all these horrible treatments.
(3) My aunt prayed to God and now she doesn't have cancer.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

MORAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) In my younger days I was a cursing, drinking, smoking, gambling, child-molesting, thieving, murdering, bed-wetting bastard.
(2) That all changed once I became religious.

ARGUMENT FROM ASSUMPTION
(1) God exists.
(2) Therefore, God exists.

That last one made me face-palm.
In the beginning, God created a bunch of male animals, a bunch of female animals, and one male human. Thinking
RE: Hundreds of proofs of nothing!
I look beyond such arguments. I believe in faith. If one believes in something, it is real for him. If one believes that one thing does not exist, it does not exist for him. It all comes down to faith. If you wish to see truth in these arguments, you will see truth. If you wish to see fallacies, you will see them. It all comes down to where your faith is directed to.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(September 2, 2012 at 5:53 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: I look beyond such arguments. I believe in faith. If one believes in something, it is real for him. If one believes that one thing does not exist, it does not exist for him. It all comes down to faith. If you wish to see truth in these arguments, you will see truth. If you wish to see fallacies, you will see them. It all comes down to where your faith is directed to.

I posted this because these people are basically saying "God exists because I say he does". That doesn't make much sense because anyone of any religion can just say that, but there can't be more than one true religion.
In the beginning, God created a bunch of male animals, a bunch of female animals, and one male human. Thinking
(September 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm)MeasH Wrote:
(September 2, 2012 at 5:53 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: I look beyond such arguments. I believe in faith. If one believes in something, it is real for him. If one believes that one thing does not exist, it does not exist for him. It all comes down to faith. If you wish to see truth in these arguments, you will see truth. If you wish to see fallacies, you will see them. It all comes down to where your faith is directed to.

I posted this because these people are basically saying "God exists because I say he does". That doesn't make much sense because anyone of any religion can just say that, but there can't be more than one true religion.
Well, for him it does. Why really try and argue with such a person?
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Well there is no prove that he does/doesn't exist anyway. Why get hung up on the issue?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
(September 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Well there is no prove that he does/doesn't exist anyway. Why get hung up on the issue?

I think you misunderstood my point here. I wasn't trying to say that God doesn't exist. I was saying that this list has no educated or proof-based contents, so it's not proof.
(September 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm)MeasH Wrote:
(September 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Well there is no prove that he does/doesn't exist anyway. Why get hung up on the issue?

I think you misunderstood my point here. I wasn't trying to say that God doesn't exist. I was saying that this list has no educated or proof-based contents, so it's not proof.

Far too many people believe that 'logically valid' is a synonym for 'true'.

I blame Leonard Nimoy.Tiger
Quote:It all comes down to faith.

No. It comes down to reality. Your shit is as stupid as any other theist's, Mehmet. Never forget that.
(September 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:It all comes down to faith.

No. It comes down to reality. Your shit is as stupid as any other theist's, Mehmet. Never forget that.

And maybe you can tell me what reality tells these people. That there is no God? I'm not really sure that reality concerns itself with otherworldly matters, while there are a lot of poorly explained worldly matters still waiting for it.

Faith isn't something beyond reason - its beneath it. Existence and truth are not so fickle as to be determined by someone's beliefs. If it doesn't exist, then it doesn't exist - there is no "for him". Your mis-perception of fallacy for truth does not make it so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Everything & Nothing possibletarian 0 687 January 13, 2020 at 5:42 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Four proofs of the nonexistence of God Interaktive 182 43843 May 6, 2018 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Life is nothing Mikeykitty123 78 12060 January 18, 2018 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7617 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Reflections on Nothing. Jehanne 23 3270 February 18, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 12902 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Going Back & Finding Nothing There WastedLife 30 8487 March 19, 2015 at 5:49 am
Last Post: abaris
  We are nothing for suffering (my story) MattMVS7 37 6918 October 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  What Are the Rules of Something from Nothing? revivin 181 18338 August 20, 2014 at 7:06 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  If there is nothing after death how do we find out? Gunner500 42 23339 August 30, 2012 at 2:16 am
Last Post: System of Solace