Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi. Glad to be here.
Hi. Glad to be here.
Hi everyone.

My brief religious story is as follows: grew up in a nominal Protestant family. Was a searching, angst-ridden, teen in the 80's, listening to Morrisey and Robert Smith, and didn't believe in the religion, such as it was, of my parents. I was a goth before we knew that name, and an atheist.

I studied French literature in high school and fancied myself an existentialist - "l'enfer c'est les autres", as well as a materialist (though I probably didn't know that term).

I met some Christians in college and became a believer. I won't go into details here, but it was a long process that resulted in the conclusion that the existence of God cannot be proven one way or the other. In the end, it was personal experience that convinced me. As such, religious belief, or faith, has always been subjective and personal in my mind. This did not stop me from trying to convince others to try it for themselves, but I've always thought that rational arguments cannot ultimately decide the matter. Belief (or non-belief) in God is super-rational - not irrational, just beyond the power of reason alone to justify.

At least that had been my idea until I started The God Delusion (by Dawkins, but I assume everyone here knows that). As I read it, I'm going through a refinement of my beliefs, and to my surprise, I find that it is not at all clear that I will remain a theist. I've been a Christian for 25 years, and have amassed what appeared to be an immovable body of personal experience that confirms not only the existence of God, but his identity as the Trinity of Christianity.

What I'm hoping to find here is some people with whom I can discuss Dawkins in particular, and atheism in general. I would be especially interested to talk to any Christians who read The God Delusion with an open mind and became atheists (or level 6 agnostic/atheists) as a result.

Becoming an atheist would be nothing short of devastating to my current life. I've been married for 20 years, we are Roman Catholic (though we were Protestant for the first 16 yrs, and I was actually a pastor for 10 of those... but that's another story) and have 8 children - who go to Catholic school with nuns and all the rest.

Lastly, I'm in a mid-life crisis (whatever that is exactly), of which this question is but a part. As such, part of me hopes that there is no God. The silver lining of the devastation of becoming an atheist is that it is the only way I can imagine out of the misery of facing the rest of my life in voluntary self-denial and deprivation for the sake of my family and my soul.

This troubles me because, as I look back to when I was a teenage atheist, it was the great desire for God to exist, that had welled up in me over many months, that finally pushed me over the edge into belief. I won't say that I believed because I wanted it to be true, but almost. Inasmuch as that was a mistake, I don't want to repeat it. I'm an empiricist and a mathematician (I teach community college math for a living now). The problem with being human is that I am unable to completely separate my cognitive and affective intelligences, let alone experiences.

So I'm here to see what, if anything, other people may have done with all this.

Thanks for reading!
RE: Hi. Glad to be here.
Welcome aboard, hope you find whatever it is you're looking for and can be content with your beliefs in the near future.
Indeed, welcome, great to have you here. Pull up a chair or two and make yourself at home. Echoing what Nap said, I'm sure you'll find something or somebody with similar experiences here to wrap your brain around. We do have our fair share of trolls, however, so you'll want to watch out for those.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome.
An existentialist who likes Morrisey? Very welcome in my book.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Hi and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thank you all for your kind welcomes!
Howdy!
Cunt
jacklegger Wrote:The problem with being human is that I am unable to completely separate my cognitive and affective intelligences, let alone experiences.

I recommend reading The Believing Brain by Michael Shermer. It discusses the tricks the brain can play and how seemingly rational people can hold onto irrational beliefs.

Welcome, BTW.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glad I found this forum! drfuzzy 25 4326 July 6, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Glad to join Alex25 29 4214 August 11, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
Thumbs Up Glad to Be Here TheNeXus 13 2045 January 4, 2014 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Glad to be here. AvadaKedavra 13 3652 June 4, 2013 at 6:27 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hello I am new here. I am an ex christian and here are some of my beliefs p90powa 23 6680 June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Pandas United
  Hello!!! I am glad to see there is an awesome atheist community out there! The Reason Tribune 2 1822 August 31, 2012 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Glad to discover Atheist Forums, but.. eseernosam 20 6543 March 6, 2012 at 11:23 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Glad to find these forums everythingafter 13 4312 August 17, 2010 at 8:25 am
Last Post: fr0d0