Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on homeschooling?
Question 
Thoughts on homeschooling?
What do you think of homeschooling? I was homeschooled from kindergarten all the way through high school mainly due to religious reasons. I'm not really sure what to think of homeschooling in general now that I'm no longer religious.

I must admit I find some people's notions of what homeschooling is rather strange. The idea that homeschoolers have no friends and are isolated from the world isn't necessarily true from my experience. Undoubtedly there have been a few cases like that but I was homeschooled in three different states and I never encountered a case like that but maybe my experience wasn't representative of the whole. I had many friends growing up, both homeschooled and public/schooled. The several hundred (maybe thousand, I grew up in Houston which is a large city) homeschoolers in the city I first lived in up to age 13 had many groups that met together each week, we had field trips (in my case the vast majority of the time to real museums, not always creationist places), many of us including myself went to a few special classes in subjects such as writing, or math. Our parents didn't teach us everything. We had textbooks for every subject in every grade. Even though many of our textbooks were done by Christian publishers, in subjects outside of biology or astronomy, it was just normal standard non-controversial things being taught with a few bible-verses thrown in that were loosely related to the subject. Some of our classes were taught and graded by real teachers. Like I took geometry and algebra in my high school years from a video tape series by some guy who worked at NASA. He graded our tests too.

Although not necessarily true for most homeschoolers, I had complete access to the TV and the internet. My whole family are trekkies and I grew up watching a lot of Star Trek. I think Star Trek is one of the influences that pushed me towards atheism.

I am a bit socially awkward. I have a hard time relating to most people in my age group but I have no difficultly talking to people older than me. Although I had several friends growing up, I have only one friend in real life now around my age and he too was homeschooled (but keep in mind I moved across the US two times in the span of 7 years so that didn't help in keeping friends). I'm not sure this is because of my homeschooling or not. It could just be because I'm a total geek.

I'm not trying to say homeschooling is great or better than attending a real school, however. Just sharing my experience.

(hope I'm not posting this on the wrong board)
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Thoughts on homeschooling?
My wife and I considered homeschooling for a bit, but eventually decided that we wouldn't be going that route. Nothing prevents us from giving our children the extracurricular lovin (as it were) if we feel that our children aren't getting enough of the good stuff at the brick building.

In the end, both of us were products of the public education system to some extent or another (amusingly I attended a faith based private school for a time and my wife was public school start to finish). Neither of us could really make the case honestly that we would be able to personally devote more attention and resources (time is a big one) to our kids than the school system does.

There is something to be said for social interaction, and that was something we felt would be slightly sub-par comparatively. We did find some groups that arranged little play-dates for everyone, but the thing that troubled us was the general party line of home-schoolers around here. Ask them why they didn't send their kids to public (or private schools) and you would invariably get a barrage of "evolution this, godless that".

Now, there are two professional educators in my immediate family, one of whom is a dependent, so I guess I could squeeze the lemon and demand services in kind.....but again, I would be getting the same services from the educators in my family that I would be getting from the school system - which I already pay for, whether I use it or not, and which can produce at least moderately intelligent human beings with my wife and myself as (tentative) examples. I'm also a huge fan of public education even in principle, and so that also gets weighed in.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: What do you think of homeschooling?

Can't say I know all that much about homeschooling, but from what I can tell, if the person doing the teaching is competent and able to teach what needs to be taught, then I don't see a massive problem with it.

The problems that you could have could be that the parents (if I'm not mistaken it's mainly parents that do the teaching right?) aren't qualified to actually teach the subject to their child.

You've obviously had a different experience to this, but I do also think most homeschooled people are probably missing out on the social aspect of school, and learning things by interacting with those their own age. But as you've shown, it's not impossible to achieve this interaction while being homeschooled, although I do think it's very different.

I've also heard the curriculum's that homeschooled children get taught aren't exactly 'strict', or follow the guidelines of what they should be for school. I don't know necessarily if this is a bad thing.

So yeah, basically if they are getting teaching that is as good as or better than school, then I personally don't have a problem. My biggest gripe is simply whether the student gets the same standard as they would if they were in school, but a lot of schools don't exactly have high standards to begin with...

My 2 cents.
(September 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: What do you think of homeschooling? I was homeschooled from kindergarten all the way through high school mainly due to religious reasons. I'm not really sure what to think of homeschooling in general now that I'm no longer religious.

I must admit I find some people's notions of what homeschooling is rather strange. The idea that homeschoolers have no friends and are isolated from the world isn't necessarily true from my experience. Undoubtedly there have been a few cases like that but I was homeschooled in three different states and I never encountered a case like that but maybe my experience wasn't representative of the whole. I had many friends growing up, both homeschooled and public/schooled. The several hundred (maybe thousand, I grew up in Houston which is a large city) homeschoolers in the city I first lived in up to age 13 had many groups that met together each week, we had field trips (in my case the vast majority of the time to real museums, not always creationist places), many of us including myself went to a few special classes in subjects such as writing, or math. Our parents didn't teach us everything. We had textbooks for every subject in every grade. Even though many of our textbooks were done by Christian publishers, in subjects outside of biology or astronomy, it was just normal standard non-controversial things being taught with a few bible-verses thrown in that were loosely related to the subject. Some of our classes were taught and graded by real teachers. Like I took geometry and algebra in my high school years from a video tape series by some guy who worked at NASA. He graded our tests too.

Although not necessarily true for most homeschoolers, I had complete access to the TV and the internet. My whole family are trekkies and I grew up watching a lot of Star Trek. I think Star Trek is one of the influences that pushed me towards atheism.

I am a bit socially awkward. I have a hard time relating to most people in my age group but I have no difficultly talking to people older than me. Although I had several friends growing up, I have only one friend in real life now around my age and he too was homeschooled (but keep in mind I moved across the US two times in the span of 7 years so that didn't help in keeping friends). I'm not sure this is because of my homeschooling or not. It could just be because I'm a total geek.

I'm not trying to say homeschooling is great or better than attending a real school, however. Just sharing my experience.

(hope I'm not posting this on the wrong board)
....not quite sure yet how I feel about home schooling. I do believe in school choice though. In any event, I'm an old school Trekkie. Captain Kirk can whip Picard's ass any day!
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
One major stumbling block to home-schooling (in my estimation) that I forgot to mention. It's worlds more difficult to secure a scholarship should you wish to continue your education beyond the homeschooling environment.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I question the motivation of people who home school. All their bullshit aside what it seems like they want to do is try to clone their kids into copies of themselves by preventing any awkward ideas from entering their heads. It's an ego trip.
(September 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm)A Theist Wrote: ...
Captain Kirk can whip Picard's ass any day!

There's probably gay bdsm fan fiction that depicts that but it's not canon.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Rule 34.
(September 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(September 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm)A Theist Wrote: ...
Captain Kirk can whip Picard's ass any day!

There's probably gay bdsm fan fiction that depicts that but it's not canon.

I wouldn't be so sure of that if I were you. The following is considered canon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0m9E1QY-g4?rel=0

As indeed is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw11Ak0mxyI?rel=0
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm)A Theist Wrote: Captain Kirk can whip Picard's ass any day!

That's the first sensible thing I've ever heard you say.

(September 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: There's probably gay bdsm fan fiction that depicts that but it's not canon.

Piccard does not exist in canon. It's all a fantasy created by the Talosians.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More fun thoughts onlinebiker 40 3629 August 7, 2019 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  What are your thoughts on this story? NuclearEnergy 6 1491 June 24, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What's your thoughts on Trump? Zenith 239 28315 March 27, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My thoughts on modern day intersectionalist feminism] Lebneni Murtad 14 3552 March 7, 2017 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Your thoughts on the protests Aroura 221 22583 November 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Hillary Clinton and the DNC, My Thoughts Mechaghostman2 1 747 July 31, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Donald Trump and the RNC, My Thoughts Mechaghostman2 45 5314 July 26, 2016 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  What are your thoughts on Congress defunding Planned Parenthood GoHalos1993 51 8072 December 8, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Thoughts on migrant crisis and Islam. paulpablo 21 4537 November 17, 2015 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Thoughts on Ben Carson? TrueChristian 31 4122 October 31, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd