Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does Atheism pose a threat?
How does Atheism pose a threat?
Hi,

This question has botherd me for a while now. I really don't understand while other religions find Atheism a threat. Just because I think it's primative to believe in anything that isn't physically possible (although not proven), doesn't mean i'm a threat does it?
Is it possible that religious people are so scared of the unkown they are prepared to start a war over it?

Anyone?
RE: How does Atheism pose a threat?
The fact that we can exist without their fucking fairy tales scares the living shit out of them. If we can exist without them maybe they can too. And that's an abyss they are terrified to look upon.
Its not the "unknown" they're afraid of. They didn't sign up and subscribe to their religious dogmatic crap out of a thirst for knowledge.

They hate and fear anyone who thinks differently to them.

There's not enough insane asylums in the world to house such people.
(September 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm)Fryslân Wrote: Hi,

This question has botherd me for a while now. I really don't understand while other religions find Atheism a threat. Just because I think it's primative to believe in anything that isn't physically possible (although not proven), doesn't mean i'm a threat does it?
Is it possible that religious people are so scared of the unkown they are prepared to start a war over it?

Anyone?

I think they are more afraid of being wrong. The fact that many would dare to see how things really are. To look into the unknown and explore it to find out what's real and what's not.
If they consider an atheist as a threat, even if the atheist has no interest in engaging in debate, they must harbor doubt about their beliefs. Otherwise it wouldn't bother them at all.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Thanks for your reply.

I understand the bit that they would be scared of us thinking differently. I'm trying to think of me talking to a sociopath.
But I mean, it's not like we're up to something. Nothing like holy wars or huge get togethers to convert people. Nothing.

Or is there some extreme Atheist communities I don't know about? Or have we ever done anything to cause them to be so afraid of us?

(September 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:
(September 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm)Fryslân Wrote: Hi,

Anyone?

I think they are more afraid of being wrong. The fact that many would dare to see how things really are. To look into the unknown and explore it to find out what's real and what's not.
If they consider an atheist as a threat, even if the atheist has no interest in engaging in debate, they must harbor doubt about their beliefs. Otherwise it wouldn't bother them at all.

Ah yes, this sounds logical. To be honest. I was just thinking if you turned it around. What if there al of a sudden would be a god, I would not at all be comfortable with that.
Harder to control people who think for themselves.
Atheists don't pose a threat to me because they merely lack a belief in God. If they did, then I wouldn't stay on an atheist forum, would I?

Tongue
(September 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Atheists don't pose a threat to me because they merely lack a belief in God. If they did, then I wouldn't stay on an atheist forum, would I?

Tongue

Judging by your medals and stars you probably would Tongue
(September 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Atheists don't pose a threat to me because they merely lack a belief in God. If they did, then I wouldn't stay on an atheist forum, would I?

Tongue

Rayaan, would it be terribly impolite of me to ask if your belief in God is in a real supernatural being? For me personally, although I'm an altar boy, I can't accept in my head a supernatural being. I think of God as a metaphor for goodness but he (although we use a personal pronoun and that's purely language), does not exist as an entity any more than goodness exists as an entity.
(September 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm)Fryslân Wrote: Ah yes, this sounds logical. To be honest. I was just thinking if you turned it around. What if there al of a sudden would be a god, I would not at all be comfortable with that.

The idea that a being can send you to a place to be forever tortured, your loved ones too, it is a situation that I would call - Worst scenario!
Bad for believers too if it be a god worse than the one they imagine. Like one who couldn't care whether you believed or not.
Personally, I find the idea that existence itself can become a prison where you can never leave, and to spend all eternity in pain and for the most trivial of reasons, to be the most frightening reality imaginable. I can't see how anyone would wish it to be true.

Thankfully, I've seen no evidence to support such things as gods or some afterlife. So I'm content with the fact that when I die I'll just cease to exist.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5222 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4643 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8181 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6213 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1264 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27107 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6768 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Does Atheism Have to be False? crosssaves 66 13894 June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Does Atheism have a Generally accepted Symbol (and do we need one?) ManMachine 32 10486 December 4, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless