Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're all God's children...
We're all God's children...
If we're all God's children, why was Jesus so special?
RE: We're all God's children...
Wow, cutting edge stuff that, next you'll be asking gripping questions like, "Can God make a rock that he cannot lift?"
(September 7, 2012 at 11:07 pm)Fryslân Wrote: If we're all God's children, why was Jesus so special?

Because for Christians, it was through Jesus' death for our sins that we became His children.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Actually, throughout the bible, god clearly has favorites.
And punishments were so arbitrary, one could get mauled by a bear just for making fun of a bald guy.
But hey, if you were one of the Big Guy's favorites, you could kill a man and have sex with his wife with a mere slap on the wrist.

My point? The bible is stupid and it's god is a self-absorbed ass. Pay no attention.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(September 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm)Cinjin Wrote: The bible is stupid. Pay no attention.

Well unless you want to study the history of the region. Then it becomes quite a useful resource.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Don't worry about questions like these I ask. It's just one of those many questions I have that make the bible seem so ludicrous to me. It has nothing to do with questions i could be asking like: "Can God make a rock that he cannot lift?" and the paradox that comes with it.
I'm just saying Jesus was cunt if he ever had existed.
(September 7, 2012 at 11:38 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well unless you want to study the history of the region. Then it becomes quite a useful resource.

Not quite. It just gives an insight to how the writers thought and perceived their surroundings, but so does a teenage girl's diary too, without being historically significant or accurate.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 7, 2012 at 11:41 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:
(September 7, 2012 at 11:38 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well unless you want to study the history of the region. Then it becomes quite a useful resource.

Not quite. It just gives an insight to how the writers thought and perceived their surroundings, but so does a teenage girl's diary too, without being historically significant or accurate.

Have you read Chronicles and Kings, comparing them to the records of the surrounding (well...OK major powers....the surrounding nations did not have much records that we have found) nations?

It's based off the Annals of the Kingdoms of Judah and Israel now since lost. I think of it as a high school/junior college level thesis for those four books.

On the accuracy, if it coincides with the extra-biblical accounts as well as the archeology, it is generally assumed to be true per academic purposes.

On significance, not much since Israel was a backwater country that only really was noticed by the major powers when it got in the way of their ambitions, stupidly I might add. The most you really see is Tel Dan and the depictions of Lachish in the Assyrian palace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z23uicYbI0
My dad's name wasn't fucking Yahweh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 624 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 613 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20453 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12358 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  The problem of evil/suffering when it comes to children Redbeard The Pink 163 23918 February 26, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4453 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  Indoctrinating Children in Religion Nope 136 14806 March 21, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Vox Populi
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19149 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Should children be violently abused without their permission. Oldm8 86 11053 August 9, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Religion and children CindysRain 37 6660 June 28, 2014 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd