Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on heliotheism
Thoughts on heliotheism
What are you guys and gyals opinion on sun worship? I'm persoally quite the fan, yet not partial to accept 'personal sun' theory. But, rather, the appreciation of the sun (like the aztecs, sans sacrifice).
Religion is an attempt to answer the philosophical questions of the unphilosophical man.
RE: Thoughts on heliotheism
If you worship the sun as a sentient creature, you're stupid. If you think you can survive here on earth without the sun, you're an idiot. So yeah, sun worship is sensible, it's vital for survival.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 9, 2012 at 4:29 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: If you worship the sun as a sentient creature, you're stupid. If you think you can survive here on earth without the sun, you're an idiot. So yeah, sun worship is sensible, it's vital for survival.

My point exactly, I wasn't advocating sentience, but rather a simple love of it because of how it basically brought us into existence (unlike someone I could mention, yahweh). Plus it has a preserving property, as is often ascribed to god, yet it actually does it. We all originate from stars, the sun's metaphorical relatives. I like this idea greatly Big Grin
Religion is an attempt to answer the philosophical questions of the unphilosophical man.
Just remember, 'worshiping' the sun on the beach is really, really bad for your health, even though the sun is awesome.. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 9, 2012 at 4:35 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Just remember, 'worshiping' the sun on the beach is really, really bad for your health, even though the sun is awesome.. Big Grin

I'm pale and blonde, sunbathing is no more my forte than rationality is that of a Mohammadan.
(September 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm)liam Wrote: I'm pale and blonde, sunbathing is no more my forte than rationality is that of a Mohammadan.

I know the feeling.. I have a lot of red pigment, so all I need is a couple of minutes in the sun and I'm Kay the Lobster :')

(September 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: I know the feeling.. I have a lot of red pigment, so all I need is a couple of minutes in the sun and I'm Kay the Lobster :')

I have a lot of thermite pigment, it seems Devil
(September 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm)liam Wrote: What are you guys and gyals opinion on sun worship? I'm persoally quite the fan, yet not partial to accept 'personal sun' theory. But, rather, the appreciation of the sun (like the aztecs, sans sacrifice).

Appreciating that we are metaphorically children of the sun, yes, that makes sense. Worshiping the sun as a sentient deity, not so much.

I'm quite fond of our neighborhood dwarf star, even though it hurts my eyes and burns my skin. Prospects for life here would be quite dim (yuk, yuk) without the sun and many other stars before it.
(September 9, 2012 at 4:29 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: If you worship the sun as a sentient creature, you're stupid. If you think you can survive here on earth without the sun, you're an idiot. So yeah, sun worship is sensible, it's vital for survival.

worship is not sensible, it has no effect on whether the sun remains, you should know this living in Finland!!! Tongue
(September 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: worship is not sensible, it has no effect on whether the sun remains, you should know this living in Finland!!! Tongue

Ah, let me rephrase. If you are insisting on worshiping anything, sun worship is the one I find most sensible since the sun is indeed real and it is required for life. And suns are pretty awesome Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6642 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theistic thoughts Foxaèr 3 923 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What are your thoughts on this GODZILLA 20 4458 April 2, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Thoughts on Hell? SisterAgatha 251 52886 October 30, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  What are your thoughts on this? NuclearEnergy 28 6508 July 28, 2017 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Astonished
  My thoughts on prayer dyresand 25 6048 October 14, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Thoughts on the Woolwich killing Ben Davis 139 47008 June 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Thoughts on the "eternal consciousness" / "everything is energy" theories... hoppimike 8 4988 June 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Adjusted Sanity
  God is light energy, thoughts and plans. bjhulk 10 4541 February 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist