Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you make the case for same sex marriage?
Everyone knows I'm a student, right? If you didn't know before, you know now.

Well, I'm taking a speech class and part of that is that I'm going to have to make a persuasive speech. So, I'm going to make a speech for something I already believe in: same sex marriage.

Thing is, from my perspective, same sex marriage is a no brainer. When you're queer, it's kinda hard to question your own rights. However, if I'm going to make an effective, persuasive speech, I would need to address the concerns of people who aren't already queer who are specifically homophobic.

Any suggestions on what those concerns are and how to address them?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: How do you make the case for same sex marriage?
I don't see a case against it, so I see no reason why it needs a case made for it.
(September 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm)Chuck Wrote: I don't see a case against it, so I see no reason why it needs a case made for it.

Personally, I agree.

However, a lot of states have passed laws and even state constitutional amendments to prevent same sex marriage. If that's going to happen, there must be a case against it and that's kinda what I'm trying to learn.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I can't see any case agaist it either.....perhaps the opposition think its a case of marriage the first step and adoption the next. So that would need addressing also ( and would be a alot damn harder).
The majority of assholes against it use the "destroying the sanctity of marriage" bullshit... just stuff about definitions.
Cunt
If you view marriage as a non-religious, legal agreement between two people, it makes no difference what the sex/gender of those two people are.
(September 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm)Chuck Wrote: I don't see a case against it, so I see no reason why it needs a case made for it.

There really is nothing else which needs saying in this debate which embarrasses humanity for even existing.
I think most of us are on the same page when it comes to the no-brainer aspect of same-sex marriage, but that doesn't really address Tara's question. I've given it some thought and I'm wondering if an equal rights angle might help? I know there are a lot of people - too many perhaps - who have got it into their heads that two people who wish to be join together in a loving marriage, but who just happen to be of the same gender, are somehow 'demanding' special treatment, more rights than so-called 'traditional' married couples when all they're asking is to be allowed the same basic rights that traditional married couples already get by default. .We had a particularly unpleasant exchange here just a few months ago on this very topic.

Well, it might be a start anyway. Any use to you?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think this is a good bit of reading material:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/20...riage.html

Your declaration of independence clearly supports the idea of equality, so I think an argument on these grounds is the simplest and most poignant one you can go for.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Quote:The United States Supreme Court has repeatedly held that marriage is one of the most fundamental rights that we have as Americans under our Constitution.

^ Yet gays are denied this right.
Yeah, Napo, I've used that argument before and been countered with "gays have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex as straights".

How the hell do you argue against that sort of disingenuous non-cognition?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1152 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 525 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Aren't Judaism and Aryanism the same thing? Sweden83 63 2701 December 4, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: no one
  Help me out here. Barrett and voting case. Brian37 31 3557 October 30, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1543 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1544 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Crusaders and Jihadists: 2 faces of the same coin WinterHold 25 2813 July 26, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Video This is hilarious, but also very disturbing at the same time GODZILLA 10 2480 June 11, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Republican advisor made a woman a sex slave Rev. Rye 67 8033 April 12, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye