Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just sharing.
Just sharing.
Just thought I'd share a few discrepancies I came across today that tickled me.

Matthew 5:22 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew 7:26 - (Jesus) And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Matthew 23:17-19 - (Jesus) Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold? And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty. Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?

Matthew 25:2 - (Jesus) And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

To summarise.

MT 5:22 - Anyone who calls another a fool is liable to Hell.

MT 7:26 - Jesus says that anyone who hears his words and does not do them is a fool.
MT 23:17-19 Jesus twice calls the Pharisees blind fools.
MT 25:2 Jesus likens the maidens who took no oil to fools.
RE: Just sharing.
The bible isn't a good book to read if you want consistent plot lines.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(September 17, 2012 at 10:34 am)Tobie Wrote: The bible isn't a good book to read if you want consistent plot lines.

Only a work of true literary excellence has the protagonist cursing a fig tree, and then defeating it.

Matthew 21:19 - And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
(September 17, 2012 at 10:21 am)Dumac Dwarfking Wrote: Just thought I'd share a few discrepancies I came across today that tickled me.

Matthew 5:22 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew 7:26 - (Jesus) And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Matthew 23:17-19 - (Jesus) Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold? And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty. Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?

To summarise.

MT 7:26 - Jesus says that anyone who hears his words and does not do them is a fool.

Actually no.. (and this just tickles me) Jesus says "any man who calls his brother...."

Jesus is not our brother He is our Lord. As God He has the right to call you 'fool.' Futhermore if you were to look at the word 'fool' in the orginal greek. It the Greek word has a emotional hatered attached to it. The word itself has nothing to do with buying you a one way ticket to Hell. It has to do with the anger and hostility one must harbor toward another to place that person in the danger of Hell.
(September 17, 2012 at 10:39 am)Drich Wrote:
(September 17, 2012 at 10:21 am)Dumac Dwarfking Wrote: Just thought I'd share a few discrepancies I came across today that tickled me.

To summarise.

Actually no.. (and this just tickles me) Jesus says "any man who calls his brother...."

Jesus is not our brother He is our Lord. As God He has the right to call you 'fool.' Futhermore if you were to look at the word 'fool' in the orginal greek. It the Greek word has a emotional hatered attached to it. The word itself has nothing to do with buying you a one way ticket to Hell. It has to do with the anger and hostility one must harbor toward another to place that person in the danger of Hell.

Jesus is the son of God, and we are Gods children as well are we not?

John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the children of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
(September 17, 2012 at 10:39 am)Drich Wrote:

To summarise.

So the greek word for "fool" has emotional hatred attached to it, eh? You've shifted him from one bit of hypocrisy to another. Remember, hating someone, according to the bible, is as good as murder.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(September 17, 2012 at 10:38 am)Dumac Dwarfking Wrote:
(September 17, 2012 at 10:34 am)Tobie Wrote: The bible isn't a good book to read if you want consistent plot lines.

Only a work of true literary excellence has the protagonist cursing a fig tree, and then defeating it.

Matthew 21:19 - And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.

I love the scene of the fig tree. It really captures the true nature of the Gospels; that Mark is allegory and (in this instance) Matthew didn't write his Gospel but instead an anonymous used Mark to his advantage.

The scene of the fig tree and the temple robbers in Mark comes from Hosea 9, but then in reading the scene found in Matthew, that allusion can't be made anymore. Matthew clearly didn't understand what Mark was getting at but merely saw the whole thing as being stupid (I mean, in Mark, why would Jesus go up to a tree and expect fruit if it was out of season?) so he just gets Jesus to turn it into smithereens to amaze his Apostles that can't get the hint...

In re-writing the scene, the allusion was lost.
Witness accounts? pfff.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 17, 2012 at 10:44 am)Dumac Dwarfking Wrote: Jesus is the son of God, and we are Gods children as well are we not?
Does God send His Children to Hell? No. Therefore one can assume not all are His Children. It is correct to say all are part of creation.

Quote:John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the children of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

I am not sure as to what 'bible' you think your quoting from but this is a complete repersentation of John 3:2.

This is John 3 as presented by the New King James Bible:
3 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...rsion=NKJV

(September 17, 2012 at 10:47 am)Tobie Wrote:
(September 17, 2012 at 10:39 am)Drich Wrote: Actually no.. (and this just tickles me) Jesus says "any man who calls his brother...."

So the greek word for "fool" has emotional hatred attached to it, eh? You've shifted him from one bit of hypocrisy to another. Remember, hating someone, according to the bible, is as good as murder.
...I see the wheels turning, will they make it all the way round and complete this thought?

In that if one is guilty of the same sin murder has been classifed under, then he would indeed be endanger of Hell.
(September 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm)Drich Wrote: Does God send His Children to Hell? No. Therefore one can assume not all are His Children. It is correct to say all are part of creation.

Quote:John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the children of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

I am not sure as to what 'bible' you think your quoting from but this is a complete repersentation of John 3:2.

My apologies, 1 John 3:2, not John 3:2. Just a typo.

I'm willing to accept that we are not all his children, being a filthy atheist he doesn't bestow me with such a title, but the Pharisees were surely his children? Perhaps misguided, but his children nonetheless?
(September 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm)Dumac Dwarfking Wrote: My apologies, 1 John 3:2, not John 3:2. Just a typo.

I was hopping you were going to press on. So lets press on to the whole context of the message and not just cherry pick one verse. lets start with the set up of verse 2 with verse 1:

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
Then your verse:
2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Did you simply not understand what the set up in verse one means?
The "we" in "we should be called children of God!" does not include everyone. This is made appearent in the very next sentence: "Therefore the world does not know us" John is seperating all believers "We" from the world or nonbelievers. "We" aren't you/The rest of the world.

"we" are Brothers through out faith. It stands to reason if you do not share in the faith you are not apart of the brotherhood of believers.

Quote:I'm willing to accept that we are not all his children, being a filthy atheist he doesn't bestow me with such a title, but the Pharisees were surely his children?
Appearently not all of them.

Quote: Perhaps misguided, but his children nonetheless?
I can think of a few, but in the end it is God's call and not mine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  encounter with a fundie homeschooler today - just sharing drfuzzy 43 8426 February 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: GUBU