Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism, non religious religion?
Atheism, non religious religion?
Can atheism in some cases become a anti-religious religion? An anti-religion that becomes like a religion, having a main obejctive to fight religion and having groups that strongly identify themselves as atheists. In a similar way as a religious person does.

I use the term atheist when I describe my religious views. I could say none which I found more accurate, but using atheist shows what I am. But there is a danger that it becomes like somethinng that you strongly identify with. That you see as a part of your personallity that it becomes like a religion.

I don't see it to be necissary to say I am an atheist. I can simply say that I'm not religious. Atheism make it feels like that it is a religious form of anti-religion. I see non-religious or having no religiuos views to be a better way of describing what my views are.It could also be explained as natural state of mind, or atleast a more rational and logical one

I don't know if you follow me here, I don't know If I follow myself here either. But atheism is called to be a movement and perhaps can it evolve to be in some way a anti-religious cult. A religion amongst non-religious.

Anyone see this possibilty? Or understand my thoughts?

Communism which were a political view and ideology was going from being a movement to become a sort of religion. Maybe the atheist movement can go the same way?
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
RE: Atheism, non religious religion?
I consider myself anti religious too. I would think it'd be more accurate to say that your philosophical position is that there is no God/ god.

My label of Christian allows for a far wider definition, although also widely misunderstood, I'm happy with the classification. 'Theist' says it basically but says nothing of the detail.

If someone says that they're an atheist, despite what I know the term to actually mean, I expect that person to be well versed in scepticism or on that path. It just fits the pattern well enough.

Also, atheism being a negative struggles to be attractive socially. Adrian is secretary of his uni atheist society - atheism does spawn the group
In order to do so it would have to become an ideology ... clearly, for most of us here, it isn't so for them at least I would say no.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
For tax purposes atheist groups can be chartered as religions.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
"Hey! we're a [*whispers to himself as an aside* Non-religious] religion too! We need tax too! I'm telling ya! We're a [*whispering to self as an aside* Non-religious] religion too!! :S Sad Please show us the money!!"

Lmfao, that would be awesome.

Atheism: The only non-religious religion folks (!)

PMSL

EvF
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the definition of a religion include not only a belief system, but certain traditions/practices performed?
Of course, don't you pray to the Holy Darwin and read Origin of species every day?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
You go onto web forums and chant mantra's such as "show me the evidence" and venerate the 4 great clergymen Tongue
Alot of funnies here, enjoy
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Atheism

Anto,

If you provide the link you don't need to copy paste the whole damn page! -3 internets!

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2983 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1800 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4924 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11371 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2821 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4198 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24727 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3495 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5951 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8544 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas