Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's God again?
Who's God again?
I was born into a Catholic family. We went through all of the motions; baptism, communion, confirmation. My father attands church almost every week, but my mother almost never does. When (somewhere between the ages of five and twelve) I would ask why she didn't, she would say that she prayed every night before going to bed, and this made up for it.

For the longest time, I didn't really think about religion and god. I would probably be one of those "uh, sure, I believe in god" people. To me, religion meant little more than agonizing church attendence every once in a while. Finally, in *gasp* eleventh grade, one of the students in my english class mentioned how he was an agnostic. At the time, I didn't even know what agnosticism was, but when he explained it, it made sense. After all, how can we know that god exists? How can we know that our religion was the right one, as opposed to the hundreds of others?

At that point, I became agnostic, but I didn't tell anyone. In the preceding months there were times when I considered atheism, but the stigma held me back. The only atheist my mother (or anyone else in my family) had ever known was an intolerent jerk, and I (wrongly) assumed that meant they were all like that. After about six months, the stigma, the hazy feeling of dread in the back of my mind, dissapeared mysteriously. It's true, I realized, we can't prove that god doesn't exist, but the odds of him existing are so small that they should realistically be considered zero.

Still, I told no one (and I still haven't, at the time of this writing). My parents are not fundamentalists (thank g- er... something), but I know for a fact that at least one of my parents interprets the bible literally, and refuses to consider any flaws in that interpretation.

In short, I was an apathetic Catholic who didn't think about religion, so I didn't realize god was not real until later, because I didn't think about it. I didn't think about it not because I didn't want to not believe, but because I didn't have much interest in the subject. (Ironically, I am much more interested in religion as an atheist than I ever was as a Catholic.)
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
RE: Who's God again?
Wow... Every bit about this is like me, except the revelation at school and my dad being more religious than my mum. The rest is word-for-word my story.

Lately, though, I've come to realise maybe the question of 'do you believe in god' should be met with a blank stare. Imagine a new religion where the Almighty Toaster is worshipped. Then in 2000 years' time you have 2.2 billion people in the world obsessed with the concept. 'Do you pledge allegiance with the Almighty Toaster'? "I'm agnostic towards the claims made about the Almighty Toaster". This religion and its claims would be trivial, much like this concept of GOD that has been put on a pedestal by humanity which obsesses over it.

Why the need to necessarily have to describe oneself in relation to this concept (i.e. theist, atheist, agnostic) if it's something long dead and only applicable in an era where godidit was a sensible explanation to the world?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I'm not sure which one of them is more religious. My dad probably is, because he goes to church more, but my mom is the one who I know to interpret the bible literally. In the end, they both believe god exists just as much, regardless of church attandence. However, religiousity seems directly proportional to bigotry, and although my dad seems somewhat anti-homosexual, and my mom occasionally says things that could be interpreted as racist, I definitly wouldn't consider either of them to be bigots. (Although the anti-homosexuality my be derived from Catholicism...)

As for religion itself, the fact that Galileo proved an 'infalliable' document wrong (which the church admitted centuries later) leads me to wonder why it still exists. It has been over for centuries, but most people ignore it. I can't say for sure how strong of an effect memes have on people, as I was never fully brainwashed. I was offended when they told me Santa wasn't real; not because I was disappointed, but because thay had been lying to me for years about it. In this case, they didn't even know the truth...though that might make it even sadder...Undecided
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I'm originally from South America so my parents are equally lazy when it comes to Catholicism in general, like the good South American Catholics that they are. I've actually never seen my dad hold a Bible except for the time I told him how different the resurrection accounts were. "I wish I was more familiar with the Bible" he said. "Hold on, let me go get one and we'll have a look at what you're saying".

It's really hard for me to be fully honest with my parents. I mean, they know I don't believe in God, but we haven't talked about the reasons why I can't ever believe again. I'm afraid that I will cast doubt and their scapegoat for afterlife ruined, if you know what I mean. I can see that they greatly oppose other Christians when it comes to supernatural stuff like healing but at the same time I can see that deep down they want it all to be true so that they can avoid eternal death. I can't take away that thought from them...

Sorry for all the tangents. On another note, you reminded me of my grandparents, who attend church every Sunday but cannot stand blacks. Go figure.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Sorry for all the tangents. On another note, you reminded me of my grandparents, who attend church every Sunday but cannot stand blacks. Go figure.

Me? Or my mother? I'm not racist, and my mother is either slightly racist, or (quite possibly) doesn't realize that some of the things she says are offensive (she's never said any such thing to anyone in real life. I think she just doesn't realize that he association of blacks and ghettos, even if she doesn't say they're all from ghettos, could be considered racist)
(September 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(September 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Sorry for all the tangents. On another note, you reminded me of my grandparents, who attend church every Sunday but cannot stand blacks. Go figure.

Me? Or my mother? I'm not racist, and my mother is either slightly racist, or (quite possibly) doesn't realize that some of the things she says are offensive (she's never said any such thing to anyone in real life. I think she just doesn't realize that he association of blacks and ghettos, even if she doesn't say they're all from ghettos, could be considered racist)

Oh, no no I meant your post haha!