Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I want a made up God then I'll have Aslan
If I want a made up God then I'll have Aslan
OK CS lewis's Narnia books are a christian allegory BUT

f you are going to have a made up god have aslan because

1) he is cute and furry

2) You can ride him

3) The stories are better
RE: If I want a made up God then I'll have Aslan
(September 19, 2012 at 11:41 am)Puddleglum Wrote: OK CS lewis's Narnia books are a christian allegory BUT

f you are going to have a made up god have aslan because

1) he is cute and furry

2) You can ride him

3) The stories are better

I choose Om because you can carry him around in your pocket and only needs a lettuce leaf now and then to satisfy him.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Justitia and Libertas

At least they are the personification of concepts I believe we must work towards, and there is some artwork out there of those two getting it on.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(September 19, 2012 at 11:49 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: I choose Om because you can carry him around in your pocket and only needs a lettuce leaf now and then to satisfy him.

Yeah, I would have gone for Om as well, if only for the rather strange fact that when I read his dialogue, it goes into my head in the voice of George Burns. Your guess is as good as mine why that is, but it's true.

However I don't want to conflict with my faith in the One True God, Ceiling Cat (cheeseburgers be upon him). I don't want to get nommed.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

False advertising!

If I want an Asian god then I'll take Kwan Yin.

[Image: kwanyin6-w.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Gods are out of the running right off the bat. Goddesses..hmn,, maybe even asian goddesses....I could worship

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqe-c2EdowJfbVfxuev77...eSya0003-S]

Or at least little bits of her.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm)apophenia Wrote:

False advertising!

If I want an Asian god then I'll take Kwan Yin.

[Image: kwanyin6-w.jpg]

Nice one apophenia! I had never heard of her before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
If I'm going to worship a god, it's gonna be Hank. I could use a million bucks.

http://www.jhuger.com/kisshank.php
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Perhaps all these high exalted fictional characters like Aslan, Ichigo, Batman, exist deep in our psyches. All possible characters exist within our imagination. In a sense, we do worship them, even though they are not real.

And just maybe fictional characters are manifestations of God as well.

So Aslan the fictional character can be a manifestation of God, as is Batman, as is Ichigo.
(September 20, 2012 at 12:34 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Perhaps all these high exalted fictional characters like Aslan, Ichigo, Batman, exist deep in our psyches. All possible characters exist within our imagination. In a sense, we do worship them, even though they are not real.

And just maybe fictional characters are manifestations of God as well.

So Aslan the fictional character can be a manifestation of God, as is Batman, as is Ichigo.

Or, perhaps God shares attributes with these fictional characters, not because they resemble God in certain ways, but rather because God resembles them in certain ways, like, in being a fictional character.

(The having attributes that are impossible, incoherent and logically contradictory is a big clue that "you just might be dealing with a fictional character." God? Has it in spades. Remember that rock that God cannot lift? Fictional character.)

An interesting but relevant side story. Kwan Yin is a boddhisattva of ultimate compassiion. Relieving suffering is her game. Many southeast Asian depictions represent her as having a thousand arms. (And indeed there is a popular dance in which she is represented by dancers who are choreographed to appear to the audience as if they are a single woman possessed of many, many arms. See youtube) The tale explaining this is as follows:

Quote:
One Buddhist legend from the Complete Tale of Guanyin and the Southern Seas presents Guanyin as vowing to never rest until she had freed all sentient beings from the samsara or reincarnation. Despite strenuous effort, she realised that there were still many unhappy beings yet to be saved. After struggling to comprehend the needs of so many, her head split into eleven pieces. The buddha Amitabha, upon seeing her plight, gave her eleven heads to help her hear the cries of those who are suffering. Upon hearing these cries and comprehending them, Avalokitesvara attempted to reach out to all those who needed aid, but found that her two arms shattered into pieces. Once more, Amitabha came to her aid and appointed her a thousand arms to let her reach out to those in need. Many Himalayan versions of the tale include eight arms with which Avalokitesvara skillfully upholds the Dharma, each possessing its own particular implement, while more Chinese-specific versions give varying accounts of this number.

[Image: Chinese_Thailand_Guan_yin_d.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38691 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1309 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9140 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 3776 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10244 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2798 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2600 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My mom made me confused Der/die AtheistIn 15 2582 November 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6186 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Worst Christian Video EVER Made Foxaèr 8 1512 October 2, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso