Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've finally awakened!
I've finally awakened!
Hi all,
I have been a Christian for my entire life of 35 years. Just about 2 weeks ago, I finally pulled the wool off of my eyes, and I now see how blindly I was leading my life. We Christians (especially baptists) rarely read deep into the bible. We stick with the couple hundred popular verses that have a good meaning, or nice story attached.

However, I have learned more over these past two weeks than I had the previous 35 years as a Christian. There is some really whacked out stuff in that bible!! And if that God in there really exists, can we really call him a loving god? Who knew that we are supposed to kill our children if they disobey? Who knew that women should keep silent in the church? Who knew there was a second set of 10 commandments??? (I can post bible references if needed). I'd love to hear these topics preached on Sunday morning!!

I guess I'd call myself an agnostic atheist, because I don't think that that god (or any god) exists, but I don't know. No one knows. I'm still searching for answers, but I'm enjoying being able to enjoy this wonderful life I have, and not moping around miserable, unworthy, full of guilt, in hopes that there is some sort of afterlife...

I'm glad to be amongst the thinkers, and no longer a blind follower!!

Your friendly Air Traffic Control Atheist,
Marc
RE: I've finally awakened!
Welcome! Wow, that's a conversion story I want to hear. Please post more in the Conversion Corner of how this actually went down, I'm curious...
Hi and welcome to AF! ^_^

Wow, we rarely get them this fresh.. Big Grin And air traffic control? That's cool!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Good to have you aboard! I've often heard it said that the bible, that Big Book Of Multiple Choice, has created more atheists than just about anything else, but it's always encouraging to hear of it happening.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Howdy!
Cunt
Welcome.
Hello. Cool story Smile
Welcome, Atc, nothing to deconvert a Christian like a thorough read of the Bible. Happened to me too, although I wasn't smart enough to go straight to atheist...I had some years as an agnostic theist.
Aye, tis a puzzlelment there be those that know not the difference betwxit fantasy and fact, Arrgh! Tis an auspicious day to sign on bucko, we be keeping a tight ship, Arrrgh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS6zbGPPL18
[Image: signiture_zps1665b542.gif]
Oh, you were never really a Christian.

Just kidding. Thought I'd preempt any posts by the Christians that post here.

There are many other reasons to disbelieve the in existence of a god besides just Biblical silliness.

Welcome to the world of free thought.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello everyone. I've finally worked out... FebruaryOfReason 19 1940 February 6, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Finally i can disprove fundamentalist christians Rokkein 13 2575 December 12, 2015 at 2:59 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  FInally stopped lying to myself, now a little lost. hookakat1 39 7178 July 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Rahul
  Nice to finally have people to talk to about atheism wower032 19 4346 June 30, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Finally Home AZatheist 10 1746 January 28, 2013 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Hello!!!! Finally a place I can feel at home! mohnjorrow 21 4232 January 24, 2013 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Metallica
  Lurking since my deconversion, finally posting Endplaintwo 24 6785 October 11, 2012 at 9:28 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko