Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Twitter Astrology Test
The Twitter Astrology Test
So an astrologer started mouthing off skeptics on Twitter today, so I confronted him, explaining my view and my skepticism. Ironically he stated that he "didn't like the insults skeptics throw at astronomers", and then proceeded to call skeptics a barrage of insulting names.

Anyway, we debated what constitutes "evidence" (I argued against his view that anecdotal evidence was useful), the JREF, testing astrologers, and back and forth it went.

So eventually I challenged him to give me a reading, and he agreed. I sent him my birth details, and he is working on the reading now. Parts of it he is reading out on Twitter, but I am not commenting on it until he has made a final decision and sent the entire thing to me (I don't want him to be influenced by my action).

I am also consulting some other astrologers on doing a separate reading, since I suspect some of it he is simply taking out of my conversations with him. If astrology is true, I should get a similar (and not massively contradictory) reading right?

Stay tuned!
RE: The Twitter Astrology Test
(July 19, 2009 at 5:56 pm)Tiberius Wrote: So eventually I challenged him to give me a reading, and he agreed. I sent him my birth details, and he is working on the reading now. Parts of it he is reading out on Twitter, but I am not commenting on it until he has made a final decision and sent the entire thing to me (I don't want him to be influenced by my action).

Won't he be able to search on you and gain information that way?

BTW, I weakened and am now on Twitter ... a follower at present!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(July 19, 2009 at 5:56 pm)Tiberius Wrote: If astrology is true, I should get a similar (and not massively contradictory) reading right?

Depends how clever they are.
Not really astrology is based upon a number of factors. Astrologers all should read the same chart in a similar fashion as would palm readers. Just because there are certain rules laid out for a reading, doesn't make it true, just superficial.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(July 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(July 19, 2009 at 5:56 pm)Tiberius Wrote: So eventually I challenged him to give me a reading, and he agreed. I sent him my birth details, and he is working on the reading now. Parts of it he is reading out on Twitter, but I am not commenting on it until he has made a final decision and sent the entire thing to me (I don't want him to be influenced by my action).

Kyu
He could have I suppose, but I'll have to see what he comes back with.

What is your twitter account?
(July 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:

Kyu
Not on Twitter yet. Just started Facebook today to keep in touch with family. Facebook is so stupid. I don't have an MP3 or cell phone yet, nor do I have a high speed connection. I still think Beta-Max is going to beat out VHS.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Quote:I still think Beta-Max is going to beat out VHS.

I just about spit my drink out on this one......Good one.......Smile
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
Quote:I am also consulting some other astrologers on doing a separate reading, since I suspect some of it he is simply taking out of my conversations with him. If astrology is true, I should get a similar (and not massively contradictory) reading right?
Stay tuned!

Fascinating.

I was an amateur astrologer for about 8 years through the 1970's.Got me laid a few times.

However,to be honest,I was a true believer,and did dozens of charts. Wrote down all reports and kept copies. Also read dozens of books purporting to "prove" the veracity of astrology.I found ONE of mild interest a study of 10 THOUSAND births,comparing their occupations with astrological prediction. Result: An accuracy for astrology slightly above statistical probability. IE: useless.

So what's the appeal,and what about the accurate predictions?

First there are NO accurate predictions I have ever been able to find .(even perhaps the most famous, that of Wiliam Lilly predicting the Great Fire Of London falls apart under the most casual scrutiny)

The appeal of Astrology? Imo; In a phrase; COLD READINGS.The astrologer uses the same basic tricks as the psychic; lack of precision and qualified language. Time scales are usually broad and use vague terms such as "may" "might" "likely" "perhaps" "often" and "danger of". Also watch out for weasel words.

Please post what the astrologers write VERBATIM. Pay attention to what they actually say rather than what they imply.

Oh, just a petty niggle barely worth mentioning really: Astrology continues to use a geocentric view of the solar system.Cool Shades
If you remember anything, do you reckon you could do a reading? Most astrologers I ask chide me for being a "skeptic".
(July 20, 2009 at 12:55 am)Tiberius Wrote: If you remember anything, do you reckon you could do a reading? Most astrologers I ask chide me for being a "skeptic".

Sorry mate, I haven't cast a chart for over 25 years,

I'd be willing to have a look at the chart if the aspects* are provided ( I use the placidean system).

One simple thing I CAN tell you is where the sun MUST be on your chart (I need only your time of birth)--if it's not,the bloke has miscast your chart.The technical stuff does kinda reflect where things were at the time of your birth. EG the say the sun was in the constellation of Libra. Astrology uses real astronomical ephemerides.

*aspects are the angles between a whole bunch of stuff,beginning with the planets.Some represent "life conditions" others "events". Manually casting a chart is tedious but not difficult. A lot of astrologers today use a computer programme, some of which are very precise. Interpretation can be tricky as some things will contradict. Imo a competent programmer could design a programme which would calculate and interpret a chart in seconds better than most astrologers,many of whom also use "intuition" to get a"feel for a chart". My guess is such things are already available.

PS I'm willing to be the recent downgrading of Pluto has changed exactly nothing for astrologers.

PPS:I just checked a bit torrent site,there was a whole page astrology programmes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guy on twitter sent me this link, HA! Brian37 12 2651 February 8, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Religion Test Minimalist 12 1649 April 1, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Outsider's Test of Faith (OTF) xpastor 51 9052 November 29, 2013 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Zazzy
  Shadowwolf, how did you test your religion? Bad Wolf 8 1648 June 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  A proposed test for the efficacy of prayer A_Nony_Mouse 16 5367 May 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Twitter "debate" on Islam Tiberius 12 7386 June 2, 2012 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  gods' test HornyJesus 62 22396 January 7, 2010 at 1:44 am
Last Post: tackattack