Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Heaven discussion
[split] Heaven discussion
(July 18, 2009 at 4:24 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: No pearly gates or golden roads in my reality Samson Smile

Likewise I don't label all of you with an equal brush of bigotry. *group hug*

You say you are a "Christian" in your heading, but do not believe in how "Heaven" is described in the Bible? Well, at least you're on the right track of not taking the tales literally.
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
RE: Should we have a rule that bans swearing?
You're the critical atheist type Christian then Samson. Show me those descriptions of heaven in the bible and I'l send you cookies Smile

Heaven is more entirely the presence of God. This primarily means right here and right now. Although secondarily also as a descriptor to the journey of the soul after death. Hell is separation from God.

In other words, living life to the full = closeness to God, doing stuff that would prevent you living life to the full = separation from God.
Quote:You're the critical atheist type Christian then Samson. Show me those descriptions of heaven in the bible and I'l send you cookies
Revelation 21 & 22

21And the twelve gates were twelve pearls: every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

18And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.

19And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;

Cookie, cookie, cookie....

[Image: cookie-monster3.jpg][/quote]
That isn't heaven Samson. No cookie! Smile

[Image: NoCookies-main_Full.jpg]
If you are talking about "Heaven" as a frame of mind, that's one thing, but John clearly described the "Gates of Heaven" and the entrance as just that.. Pearly gates, Golden roads etc.
P.S. I love the No Cookie pic... I'll be using that one on another forum I go to..lolol
The excerpt you quoted is Jerusalem as is descended FROM heaven - it wasn't a description of heaven itself AFAIK.
Of course it's talking about the "New Jerusalem, but this is also the "New Heaven"....

Rev:21
1And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

So again, the Heaven as described by the Bible from John's vision is calling for Pearly gates and Golden roads.....

So are you referring to the "Heaven" that is current in which "God" so called resides now?????
RE: [split] Heaven discussion
I've split these post from the feedback forum discussion on swearing.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Well in the common sense Samson I thought we we're talking about heaven and hell as commonly misunderstood as places you go to when you die.

John saw a new Jerusalem descend out of the new heaven
Thanks Adrian or whomever moved this to the Religious section....Smile

Frodo, I simply asked you if you believe in how "Heaven" was described in the Bible. The common knowledge has always seemed to refer back to Johns vision of the Apocalyptic Heaven in Revelation of Golden Roads and Pearly Gates.

As far as what Heaven is supposed to look like now, you are correct, I have never seen a description in the Bible, except in the Book of Enoch where the Angel took him to all 4 corners and then to Heaven. In Enoch's description, there were no Gates and oz roads, but light and warmth if I remember correctly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3287 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 7930 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2499 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3147 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2869 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21015 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hell and heaven purplepurpose 14 2755 August 23, 2016 at 9:21 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
Question Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty" fruyian 141 16140 May 18, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Eureka! Hubble Space TTelescope Finds Heaven Rhondazvous 56 9914 January 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Heaven would be good Amine 41 8194 December 12, 2015 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd