Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Professor's Proposition: Only Two Logical Choices
Professor's Proposition: Only Two Logical Choices
My father, who is a very devout Catholic, has two Ph.d.'s, in math and computer science. He is very interested in science and he has a broad-ranged knowledge of science in many fields. He is also very informed of the Catholic faith.

My father had a Catholic father who really wasn't into it, and a mother who converted to Catholicism to marry my grandfather. But neither of them were much interested in religion.

My father, however, was so devout that by the age of 12 he was going to Mass by himself.

Which is to say, my father is not Catholic because he was brow-beat into it by his family, he is a devout Catholic because he used his intelligence to look into it and determined that the Catholic Church's claim to be the One True Faith are true.

Now, you can't dismiss my father as some ignorant fundamentalist, he very much believes in the theory of evolution and does not try to wave away any science because of the Bible.

And also, my father's IQ is so high that my guess is he's smarter than all but one or two people on this forum. He is certainly smarter than the vast majority of people who think they are intelligent and crow about it in groups like Mensa.

My father once told me that there are only two logical choices for the educated man who investigates the religion issue and comes to a conclusion based on all the evidence, without rejecting any due to prejudice or bias.

One logical conclusion is to be an agnostic.

And the second logical conclusion is to be a Roman Catholic, believing everything the Roman Catholic Church teaches.

And all other conclusions would ultimately be rejected if subject to thorough analysis by the educated man who really wants to know the truth.

Anyway, that's the start of what I'm saying here. Is there anyone here who believes my father is wrong about this?

I guess I'd like to hear from agnostics especially. And if there are any Catholics, I'd like to hear your reaction too.
RE: Professor's Proposition: Only Two Logical Choices
And exactly why does he believe Roman Catholicism is the one true faith?
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(September 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm)System of Solace Wrote: And exactly why does he believe Roman Catholicism is the one true faith?

because like his son, he's an idiot.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I'm not sure how you know that he's smarter than "all but one or two people on this forum" but I'm not going to call him ignorant. I can understand how someone would come to the agnostic conclusion; there is no absolute proof for or against god. However, I wonder how he 'knows' that Catholicism is the right one when there are so many forms. Likewise, I would like to see what evidence was used to reach this conclusion.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Being smart doesn't mean you escape confirmation bias, and it doesn't mean you took the struggle to find out the truth in a certain manner.

I don't know why it's either Catholic religion or being agnostic. Why not a Deist?
I do wonder how somebody with a IQ that is supposedly so high would pick theism. If he was a deist I could somewhat respect that decision. But....Roman Catholic? Intelligent people are knowledgeable in certain subjects, but they often lack common sense.
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(September 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Being smart doesn't mean you escape confirmation bias, and it doesn't mean you took the struggle to find out the truth in a certain manner.

I don't know why it's either Catholic religion or being agnostic. Why not a Deist?

Good point. If anything, it should be between atheist or agnostic, but if you must include a form of theism then deism would be the most likely one.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(September 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm)System of Solace Wrote: And exactly why does he believe Roman Catholicism is the one true faith?
I would need to ask him, and I will and get back to you.

I can tell you my reason.

I have investigated the many thousands of miracles documented by the Catholic Church in its 2000 year history. Many of them can't be proven because they are too long ago, but some of them are more recent in time and very hard to ignore.

For example, Joan of Arc revealed something she knew to the Dauphin of France that convinced him to give her control of the armies of France. Also, she identified him even though another man pretended to be the Dauphin while he hid among the courtiers. And she predicted the result of a battle that was hundreds of miles away. I could go in more detail but I don't need to. The biography of Joan is very well known and you can read about it on Wikipedia.

In more recent times, Padre Pio performed many miracles, including his stigmata, and he predicted that a certain Polish priest would one day be Pope, and it happened many years later.

But the big clincher for me is the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima. I looked into that and there is no way to explain how 70,000 people could be affected by a "mass hypnosis" which is the usual atheist explanation for this even.

But my Dad has other reasons, I think, that have nothing to do with modern miracles. I will call him and find out what they are and get back to you.

(September 25, 2012 at 9:07 pm)Cinjin Wrote:

because like his son, he's an idiot.
How old are you? You act like you're 12. Maybe you should sit this one out, because I meant this thread to be for grown-ups to know how to behave in grown-up conversations.

The reason atheism is not a logical choice is because it cannot be upheld with any manner of proof.

Faced with an absence of evidence of God, assuming one rejects all the evidence of miracles which I have described, it is not rational to say that there MUST be no God simply because there is no evidence that there is.

It seems to me that many atheists are willing to believe in plenty of other things without any proof, like the existence of intelligent life around other planets.

An agnostic knows there is no evidence either way, so he logically chooses to say there is no way to know and takes that position.

An atheist is taking a position of faith, believing in an unprovable doctrine.
(September 25, 2012 at 9:04 pm)Blackrook Wrote: Is there anyone here who believes my father is wrong about this?

Yes your father is wrong. But to understand why you'll need to do more than simply offer an argument from authority, which is a logical fallacy.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
Ah, the Miracle of the Sun. Given too much credit. This event was apparently predicted. Not everyone saw it. And when you have thousands of people staring at the sun for hours, it's bound to cause vision problems. The reports were also inconsistent on what exactly was seen. Many were there and said it happened but never saw it. They say they were temporarily blinded or they were not looking correctly (see my conformity link). A few hundred used solar filters and saw-nothing. Here's a few theories:

Quote:Joe Nickell, a skeptic and investigator of paranormal phenomena, claims that the position of the phenomenon, as described by the various witnesses, is at the wrong azimuth and elevation to have been the sun[30]. He suggests the cause may have been a sundog. Sometimes referred to as a parhelion or "mock sun", a sundog is a relatively common atmospheric optical phenomenon associated with the reflection/refraction of sunlight by the numerous small ice crystals that make up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. A sundog is, however, a stationary phenomenon, and would not explain the reported appearance of the "dancing sun". Nickell suggests an explanation for this and other similar phenomena may lie in temporary retinal distortion, caused by staring at the intense light and/or by the effect of darting the eyes to and fro so as to avoid completely fixed gazing (thus combining image, afterimage and movement). Nickell concludes that there was

likely a combination of factors, including optical and meteorological phenomena (the sun being seen through thin clouds, causing it to appear as a silver disc; an alteration in the density of the passing clouds, so that the sun would alternatively brighten and dim, thus appearing to advance and recede; dust or moisture droplets in the atmosphere, imparting a variety of colors to sunlight; and/or other phenomena).

Paul Simons, in an article entitled "Weather Secrets of Miracle at Fatima", states that he believes it possible that some of the optical effects at Fatima may have been caused by a cloud of dust from the Sahara[31].

Kevin McClure claims that the crowd at Cova da Iria may have been expecting to see signs in the sun, as similar phenomena had been reported in the weeks leading up to the miracle. On this basis he believes that the crowd saw what it wanted to see. Kevin McClure stated that he had never seen such a collection of contradictory accounts of a case in any of the research he had done in the previous ten years[32].

Leo Madigan believes that the various witness reports of a miracle are accurate, however he alleges inconsistency of witnesses, and suggests that astonishment, fear, exaltation and imagination must have played roles in both the observing and the retelling. Madigan likens the experiences to prayer, and considers that the spiritual nature of the phenomenon explains what he describes as the inconsistency of the witnesses[33].

Author Schwebel claims that the event was a supernatural (but non-miraculous) extra-sensory phenomenon. Schwebel notes that the solar phenomenon reported at Fátima is not unique - there have been several reported cases of high pitched religious gatherings culminating in the sudden and mysterious appearance of lights in the sky[34].
http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/ind...49860.html

One other:
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4110

This is the conformity link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_confor...xperiments

Quote:The reason atheism is not a logical choice is because it cannot be upheld with any manner of proof.

Atheism does not claim something, it denies a claim. And there is proof to justify the denial.

Quote: Faced with an absence of evidence of God, assuming one rejects all the evidence of miracles which I have described, it is not rational to say that there MUST be no God simply because there is no evidence that there is.

Miracles=/=proof. Especially considering all recorded miracles (in recent years) have been debunked.

Quote:It seems to me that many atheists are willing to believe in plenty of other things without any proof, like the existence of intelligent life around other planets.

Once again, you generalize. That's a completely different topic. It is not irrational to think that life exists on other "Goldilocks" planets. The existence of these planets is more proof then theism has for any of it's claims.

Quote:An agnostic knows there is no evidence either way, so he logically chooses to say there is no way to know and takes that position.

I'm an Agnostic Atheist because I acknowledge I can be wrong. I think, however, that it is most rational to deny the existence of a god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion summed up in two words UniversesBoss 0 473 November 26, 2022 at 1:19 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 960 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 13957 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2836 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 24 2697 October 23, 2018 at 7:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 1 495 October 19, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The obsession with exactly two levels robvalue 12 1435 September 17, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Two questions for theists. Edwardo Piet 19 2732 May 13, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: surreptitious57
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7411 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Logical proof that God doesnt exist. Macoleco 5 2584 November 24, 2016 at 2:47 am
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan