Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revealing the Universe - check this out.
Revealing the Universe - check this out.
This brings tears to my eyes.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...eep-field/

Quote:Astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope have created the deepest multi-color* image of the Universe ever taken: the Hubble Extreme Deep Field, a mind-blowing glimpse into the vast stretches of our cosmos.

[Image: 8023913021_526ba306cd_z.jpg]

Hit this link for the full view:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/static/arc...c1214a.jpg

Quote:The variety of galaxies is amazing. Some look like relatively normal spirals and ellipticals, but you can see some that are clearly distorted due to interactions – collisions on a galactic scale! – and others that look like galaxy fragments. These may very well be baby galaxies caught in the act of forming, growing. The most distant objects here are over 13 billion light years away, and we see them when they were only 500 million years old.

In case your head is not asplodey from all this, I’ll note that the faintest objects in this picture are at 31st magnitude: the faintest star you can see with your naked eye is ten billion times brighter.
So, yeah.

I’ll note that the purpose of this and the other deep field images is to look as far away and as far back in time as we can to see what the Universe was like when it was young. The wealth of data and scientific knowledge here cannot be overstated.

But I suspect, in the long run, the importance of this and the other pictures will be their impact on the public consciousness. We humans, our planet, our Sun, our galaxy, are so small as to be impossible to describe on this sort of scale, and that’s a good perspective to have.

But never forget: we figured this out. Our curiosity led us to build bigger and better telescopes, to design computers and mathematics to analyze the images from those devices, and to better understand the Universe we live in.

And I wanted to separate out this bit, because it's the most important.

Quote:And it all started with simply looking up. Always look up, every chance you get. There’s a whole Universe out there waiting to be explored.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Revealing the Universe - check this out.
Fascinating stuff. Deeply, deeply moving.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
There is an article on the BBC website about this that I just posted on Facebook.

It is rather cool.
Cunt
You're not friends with me on facebook, you moog. Tongue
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I am now. Big Grin
Cunt
(September 26, 2012 at 9:41 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: And it all started with simply looking up. Always look up, every chance you get. There’s a whole Universe out there waiting to be explored.
I see nothing.

Just light pollution.

Though street lights are far more useful to us at night as a society than the cosmos in general. ^^
Incredible.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
I regret that I can only kudos the OP once.

It blows my mind to realize that those distant infant galaxies, which appear so close to one another, are now vast distances apart due to 13 billion years of expansion.
(September 26, 2012 at 1:38 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: I see nothing.

Just light pollution.

Though street lights are far more useful to us at night as a society than the cosmos in general. ^^

Yeah, light pollution's a bitch. It wasn't until that family holiday to Scotland I mentioned the other day that I saw the Milky Way for the first time in my life, though I know where it should be. Incidentally, this is the only galaxy you can observe between meals without ruining your appetite.

I agree that street lighting is an important part of our society, but that doesn't mean that the lights need to be so detrimental to the environment. It's not just to benefit a few inconsiderate astronomers who want the night sky darkened at the expense of everyone else; inefficient and intrusive lighting has a whole raft of side-effect, including the effects on wildlife. Check out the Campaign for Dark Skies (CfDS).
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I kind of like how many people have totally opposite thoughts about the universe from each other.

There are those who think that the universe is cold, empty, dark, lifeless, wandering asteroids, nothing but light pollution, etc ...

To others, the universe is incredible, astonishing, deeply moving, brilliant, colorful, beautiful, exciting, etc ...

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16269 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5084 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1155 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 400 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2453 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1850 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6200 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3893 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5932 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2474 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer