Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better say hello, hadn't I!
Better say hello, hadn't I!
Hi all

I just posted without first introducing myself. Sorry. I am Syd. According to the British Humanist website, I am a humanist - given my perspective and beliefs.

I feel more comfortable calling myself an Atheist, mainly - I think - because I'm more used to the term, and it worked wonders on the Jehovah's witnesses on my doorstep this morning. But there's nothing wrong with 'Humanist', either.

I thought I would join up because I am really interested in maturing my philosophies and being part of probably the closest thing that atheists have to a church!

Thanks for having me.
Syd.
Travel broadens, lightens, divides, resolves, disrupts, comforts and satisfies the mind. No travel broadens the rear.
RE: Better say hello, hadn't I!
Hi and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hi, new guy!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hi Syd
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
Welcome to the forum. You can be an atheist and a humanist.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Quote:But there's nothing wrong with 'Humanist',

Nothing except the JW's don't understand it.

Howdy.
Welcome!
Welcome to our humble place of non-worship. I've been asked to pass the plate so I'll be sending information on how you can get your donation to me. Welcome brother.
Thanks. Yes, humanism and atheism are entirely compatible. I just like the latter as a personal description, because it's more familiar and has more impact. But far more interesting is Stimbo's claim to Potrzebieistic thinking. I know little about this philosophy, but based on what I do know it's about want and need. If that's correct (and I said it, so it may not be) then there lies a philosophical angle which aligns itself with the very ways of humanity. Or it could be about a spoof weights and measures system - an allusion, therefore, to Flying Spaghetti Monster-ism. Insanity x is a creationist atheist? Well, that could be rational. Premeditated panspermia could in some way constitute a creationist situation whilst precluding theology.

Thanks again for the replies.
Travel broadens, lightens, divides, resolves, disrupts, comforts and satisfies the mind. No travel broadens the rear.
As you spotted, the First Church of Potrzebie is indeed based upon the philosophy of the eternal struggle of want versus need. Essentially it stems from the old maxim "waste not, want not" which roughly translates to "if you don't waste it, you don't want it".

In the words of our fully-licensed Messiah:

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I thought id come back and say dyresand 7 1232 December 26, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Say hello to Allie Jackalope 17 2898 December 20, 2017 at 12:23 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Back again with a better head. LivingNumbers6.626 16 1936 July 6, 2016 at 7:46 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Please let this be better then the other af. Indiveren 46 10452 December 5, 2014 at 2:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Better late than never...! DangerousElf 4 1412 September 6, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Just wanted to say hello Lemonvariable72 8 2409 August 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
Rainbow My intro brings all the forumers to my thread. Damn right, its better than yours. TheStateIsALie 54 15147 July 16, 2013 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Would like to say Hi! DeardoG 34 5078 May 13, 2013 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gnosis
  Getting to know you all a little better Hughsie 80 17488 October 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Just thought I'd say hello ... AeroJ 13 3893 August 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Napoléon