Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another obvious question. Re faith as a virtue
Another obvious question. Re faith as a virtue
To mono-theist religious peops. Is all faith a virtue or only faith in your religious group's version of god?

For example, is a faithful satanist at least a bit more virtuous, by reason of their faith in a higher being, than an atheist who has no faith in a higher being?
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29
RE: Another obvious question. Re faith as a virtue
Too obvious a question I fear.

My school had three words prominently displayed: faith, hope, and charity. The second two I can agree with at least in their broadeOst sense. But the first is more complex and clearly was not meant in any broad sense. I do not believe the "moderate" Christians who wrote it meant it to apply to any use if the word aside from faith in the existence of their own diety, on the terms of their specific flavour of Christianity. So when we hear that faith is a virtue, what strings are attached to that word?

I had faith once. She was pretty average.
(October 1, 2012 at 2:38 am)Doubting_Thomas Wrote: To mono-theist religious peops. Is all faith a virtue or only faith in your religious group's version of god?

For example, is a faithful satanist at least a bit more virtuous, by reason of their faith in a higher being, than an atheist who has no faith in a higher being?

God says no one is virtuous in the moral sense, this is a word man likes to use to describe his on selfish work. I do not mean all men. Because Satan is immoral how could his followers be virtuous, doesn't make sense to me.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(October 1, 2012 at 2:38 am)Doubting_Thomas Wrote: To mono-theist religious peops. Is all faith a virtue or only faith in your religious group's version of god?

Another way of putting this question :-

Is it better to believe in no religion than to believe in a false religion ?

(I know, I know, they're all false, but how would a theist answer.)

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(October 4, 2012 at 3:42 am)Godschild Wrote: [quote='Doubting_Thomas' pid='343773' dateline='1349073509']
God says no one is virtuous in the moral sense, this is a word man likes to use to describe his on selfish work.

"And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge."~ 2 Peter 1:5 (St James' translation)

But anyway, even if faith is a virtue, it is only one of many. Are you saying that no kind of faith is a virtue?
A. all Satanists that I am aware of are atheists and therefore don't have a belief in a higher power

B. Only faith in He is counted as virtue in that sense
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Quote:God says no one is virtuous in the moral sense, this is a word man likes to use to describe his on selfish work.

And, um....where does your "god" say that, G-C?
(October 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Godschild Wrote:God says no one is virtuous in the moral sense, this is a word man likes to use to describe his on selfish work.

And, um....where does your "god" say that, G-C?

Why do people accuse us of making stuff up when they can freely draw inferences and read between the lines in the bible? Is my argument in anyhting related to the bible instantly invalid if I'm an atheist? Apparently they think so. (Or at least he does)
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
"Thinking" is not G-C's long suit. If he can't trot out some hopelessly useless verse from his fucking bible, he's lost.
(October 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm)Polaris Wrote: A. all Satanists that I am aware of are atheists and therefore don't have a belief in a higher power

By definition a satanist cannot be an atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3817 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1237 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 928 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10813 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12209 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 826 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4186 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13244 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33058 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 203919 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet