Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lord and Saviour -- Mithras!
Lord and Saviour -- Mithras!

I found this on YouTube and I thing I prefer Mithraism to Christianity.
What do you think?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Lord and Saviour -- Mithras!
I tell you, that you have not been saved, unless you been washed in the blood of the bull Wink
undefined
In the Rome series on HBO one of the worst mistakes they made was the scene were "Atia" is bathed in the blood of the bull. Women were barred from Mithraic rites. Also, the Mithraic cult had not caught on in Rome during the first century BC - although they certainly knew about it - it was in the first century AD that Mithraism morphed into Sol Invictus.
However wasn't she nude, that kinda made up for the error.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yeah - she was a hot number.

[Image: 220px-Atia_rom.jpg]
(October 1, 2012 at 11:19 am)Minimalist Wrote: In the Rome series on HBO one of the worst mistakes they made was the scene were "Atia" is bathed in the blood of the bull. Women were barred from Mithraic rites. Also, the Mithraic cult had not caught on in Rome during the first century BC - although they certainly knew about it - it was in the first century AD that Mithraism morphed into Sol Invictus.

Actually she was being initiated into the cult of Cybele not that of Mithras.
undefined
I don't recall them making that claim....but the image of the bull being slaughtered above and blood cascading down seems like a mithraic rite... not that such details ever slow down the dramatic license of film-makers.

IIRC there was an amusing wrinkle on the whole Cybele story because the cult was actually intentionally imported into Rome towards the end of the Second Punic War for divine "help" against Carthage. The story goes that whoever gave the report on the Cybelline cult forgot ( or ignored ) the fact that the priests had to be castrated which was a non-starter for Roman citizens ( and me too.) Someone eventually did come up with the idea of using a bull's balls as a substitute.

Tough on the bull, though.
(October 2, 2012 at 1:31 am)Minimalist Wrote: I don't recall them making that claim....but the image of the bull being slaughtered above and blood cascading down seems like a mithraic rite... not that such details ever slow down the dramatic license of film-makers.

The scene in question had the priestess and Atia requesting protection from the Great Mother, which would mean Cybele (because she was regarded as the Great Mother).

Quote:IIRC there was an amusing wrinkle on the whole Cybele story because the cult was actually intentionally imported into Rome towards the end of the Second Punic War for divine "help" against Carthage. The story goes that whoever gave the report on the Cybelline cult forgot ( or ignored ) the fact that the priests had to be castrated which was a non-starter for Roman citizens ( and me too.) Someone eventually did come up with the idea of using a bull's balls as a substitute.

Tough on the bull, though.

Your comments suddenly reminded me of a question I posed to Robert M Price once. I hypothesis was that some early Christians castrated themselves for various reasons, including emulating the practice of the Cybele cult. Because Matthew 19:12 is a strange version, where Jesus was saying that those who made themselves into enunchs for the kingdom of god's sake was alright. That is a direct violation of Torah, which forbids Jewish men from castrating themselves and bans them from entering into the congregation of the lord.

(October 2, 2012 at 1:31 am)Minimalist Wrote: IIRC there was an amusing wrinkle on the whole Cybele story because the cult was actually intentionally imported into Rome towards the end of the Second Punic War for divine "help" against Carthage. The story goes that whoever gave the report on the Cybelline cult forgot ( or ignored ) the fact that the priests had to be castrated which was a non-starter for Roman citizens ( and me too.)

The priests would have been people who were either slaves or free non-citizens.
undefined
(October 1, 2012 at 8:12 am)Justtristo Wrote: I tell you, that you have not been saved, unless you been washed in the blood of the bull Wink

Way ahead of ya. I didn't even know it was a religious ceremony at the time.
I was just having fun.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video clip for the Lord Yaweh Rokcet Scientist 10 3489 September 8, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  What the Lord Jesus REALLY said Rokcet Scientist 2 1488 July 4, 2011 at 2:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [split] The Lord is God thread The Lord is God 68 23784 March 2, 2011 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Evidence Lord Xenu Exists! tavarish 8 8853 May 2, 2010 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Xyster