Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does evil exist in its own right?
does evil exist in its own right?
Something that was said in another thread (http://atheistforums.org/thread-15088.html) made me think. The statement "Religion is the spawn of evil and the greatest cause of it." made me react. I didn't want to derail that debate over semantics.

The way I see evil cannot 'spawn' or create anything except in the loosest figurative sense because evil does not 'exist' in it's own right. Nor does 'good'. Saying evil causes things is flirting with supernatural belief.

If actions and thoughts are sufficiently nasty we call them "evil". That I'm cool with, but its only a description.

No idea what typical atheist thinking is, what do you think?
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29
RE: does evil exist in its own right?
It really just depends on your perspective on what good and evil are. If evil things were considered good to you they wouldn't be evil. VinnyG actually got pissed that I said this before because we got on the topic of rape being good or evil. Keep in mind rape wasn't considered wrong for a long time in many societies.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
There is no objective morality.

Period.
Yes. Evil exists. It goes by the name Christianity.
"Evil" is a vague term. Whether it exists depends on how you define it.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I define evil as anything related to unnatural deaths committed by people on others. It's too bad we live in a culture obsessed with war and destruction.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(October 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm)JohnDG Wrote: It really just depends on your perspective on what good and evil are. If evil things were considered good to you they wouldn't be evil. VinnyG actually got pissed that I said this before because we got on the topic of rape being good or evil. Keep in mind rape wasn't considered wrong for a long time in many societies.

I completely agree with you. Think of the biggest taboo in society and you can probably find a situation where it's been tolerated or even celebrated. Child sex? It's looked down on now, but 3,000 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for 12 or 13 year old girls to be married. Cannibalism? Tell that to a guy who is starving, stuck in a lifeboat next to his dead friend (this has actually happened). Murder? We've always had great ways of justifying that.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
evil does not exist. "evil" is simply a adjective attributed to a action that that sociaty currently sees as inmoral.
my granddad generation use to throw stones through jewishs shops, beat them up, burnt down synagogs and in the end murdered them cause he believed it was the right thing to do.
the people who drove Alan Turing into suicide believed they were doing the right thing
and i am certain that the 19 guy who flew planes into the twin towers believed they were doing the best thing a human can do.
(October 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: evil does not exist. "evil" is simply a adjective attributed to a action that that sociaty currently sees as inmoral.
my granddad generation use to throw stones through jewishs shops, beat them up, burnt down synagogs and in the end murdered them cause he believed it was the right thing to do.
the people who drove Alan Turing into suicide believed they were doing the right thing
and i am certain that the 19 guy who flew planes into the twin towers believed they were doing the best thing a human can do.

That's pretty hardcore, it's almost like saying you shouldn't be mad at them. But then again, we've been blowing them up since the gulf war.

Can one be judged by immoral actions they have committed if they truly believed it was the right thing to do? Or should we judge christian's and catholic's based on their past histories of mass genocide.

Holocaust=ROFL YOU CALL THAT GENOCIDE? (sorry if I offended anyone)
(October 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm)JohnDG Wrote: That's pretty hardcore, it's almost like saying you shouldn't be mad at them. But then again, we've been blowing them up since the gulf war.

Can one be judged by immoral actions they have committed if they truly believed it was the right thing to do? Or should we judge christian's and catholic's based on their past histories of mass genocide.

No. But I firmly believe that our set of moral standerds, the ones of a secular Republic, are supiror to the values of a sociaty who`s moral codex and nations constitution is a work of iron age myths.
It doesn`t matter how much you "believe" that the crimes you are commiting are moraly correct. If you are found guilty by a set of moral values wich is supireor you have take responsebility and stand trial.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 461 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1034 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1745 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4325 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 12063 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1993 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 2008 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1989 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3494 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5775 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath