Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take the devil out of Juia
Take the devil out of Juia
Baby killed by Christian fanatic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10327455
RE: Take the devil out of Juia
While I do think religious leaders need to do more to stem the tide of insanity that comes with mixing mental health problems and their religions, this case seems to be more about the ineptitude of the people in charge of monitoring the child's welfare. This is a mental health and social program issue, not a religious one.

Edit: I'm moving this to the "off topic" subforum.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It's a religious one when religious beliefs are used to justify murder.

While the defendant is indeed mentally unfit and thus eligible for indefinite detention, the community who lived around these folks failed them. It is up to the community to watch out and even control their weaker members.

I lived in a small town, and if someone didn't say something when you were doing something destructive, it usually was because they didn't like you and wanted harm to occur. It was occasionally misused to be anti-LGBT, but for the most part, it was done more out of worry that a person's bizarre behavior would end with a suicide or shooting (my high school in rich little town had a suicide every three-four years, sometimes paused by 8 years and then broken with a series of suicides in quick succession...).

I'm not saying this case is the same, but I do wonder how long this had been going on, considering there is a previous record existing of mental instability and police intervention.

The defendants are said to be 'highly religious', perhaps the reason they're at that state is to cope with a mental illness. The voices in your head make more sense when you ascribe them to demons and angels than fray neurological activity originating from yourself. Mainly because the latter explanation sounds almost hollow when someone 'hears' voices, hears talking.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
But that's the thing, I didn't see anywhere in that article that their religious beliefs were the cause of or used to justify the murder. It does have the judge saying that she was suffering from religious delusions at the time. Do you think that implies that those delusions were the cause? I didn't see it that way, but the article never actually says what exactly happened. Maybe her delusions were the cause, however, I just couldn't infer that from the article.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Take a guess onlinebiker 17 1255 November 25, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How do you take your coffee? vulcanlogician 37 2429 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  How do you take your tea? BrokenQuill92 29 1232 November 23, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15
  How to not take critical feedback personally? copiedusername 9 1028 December 20, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Take It, Or leave it, I can still say Voulez Vous Brian37 7 1106 November 29, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: adey67
  Cats Will Not Take This Lying Down Minimalist 81 9314 September 1, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Take another look at your initial introduction thread to this forum Foxaèr 55 8636 May 17, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How do you take your coffee? Antares 51 8428 April 19, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Take out on Xmas day DOES EXIST....... Brian37 18 2630 December 26, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Do you guys ever wonder about..tge devil? ErGingerbreadMandude 67 6779 December 13, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Fireball