Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hare Krishna
Hare Krishna
I'm a devotee of Krishna. It's something I chose to follow on my own, I wasn't raised this way. My parents are atheists. I'm not.

I was a philosophy major in college. I always enjoy the atheist/theist debate, because I think it tests the boundaries of what we can know and imagine.

I see many atheists arguing against Christianity, and a type of small-minded, fanatical Christianity at that. I don't exactly have a quarrel with Christianity, but I generally find many of their ideas philosophically unsatisfying. I don't really blame atheists for being frustrated with Christians.

I'm not here to try to convert anyone. If anyone is up for a debate, I think I could give you a better run for your money than most Christians.

Basically I'm here to learn, expand my mind, and blow some of yours.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
RE: Hare Krishna
Welcome to the forum.

I must admit that I know absolutely nothing about Hare Krishna.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Hey and welcome to AF! ^_^

I concur with FnM, I do not know much about Hare Krishna. We used to have a lot of them here in my town and unfortunately they were a tenacious bunch, it was hard to continue walking to my destination if they go a hold on me, so I learned pretty fast to run in the opposite direction once I heard the bells, cymbals and chanting. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I must admit, that I have over the years been inspired by the beautiful and moving music of the Krishna moment George Harrison etc, so to celebrate this I have chosen what I personally find of all this spiritual music that piece which appeals most directly to my heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0Neo85Rj4 Harry Harry, Harry Harry Harry come on Harry come on, we're going down the pub.
Welcome

Favour Ganesha myself.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

My forum name is apophenia, but you can call me by my spiritual name, Rama Lama Ding Dong.

[Image: hairyfishnuts.png]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome. If you're not small-minded and fanatical, it may cramp our conversations. Smile
Welcome aboard!

It's good to have theists of different stripes here.

(October 5, 2012 at 7:38 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: I always enjoy the atheist/theist debate, because I think it tests the boundaries of what we can know and imagine.

Very few atheists claim to know, with absolute certainty, that a god does not exist.

Quote: If anyone is up for a debate, I think I could give you a better run for your money than most Christians.

I'll bet that's true.

It would be great if you started a thread with whatever evidence, reasoned argument and valid logic that you think justifies belief in a god.

Quote:Basically I'm here to learn, expand my mind, and blow some of yours.

Sounds like a much better way to introduce yourself than the vast majority of theists that come here.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 5, 2012 at 11:22 am)Simon Moon Wrote: Welcome aboard!

It's good to have theists of different stripes here.

(October 5, 2012 at 7:38 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: I always enjoy the atheist/theist debate, because I think it tests the boundaries of what we can know and imagine.

Very few atheists claim to know, with absolute certainty, that a god does not exist.

Quote: If anyone is up for a debate, I think I could give you a better run for your money than most Christians.

I'll bet that's true.

It would be great if you started a thread with whatever evidence, reasoned argument and valid logic that you think justifies belief in a god.

Quote:Basically I'm here to learn, expand my mind, and blow some of yours.

Sounds like a much better way to introduce yourself than the vast majority of theists that come here.
It's interesting that atheists can't prove God doesn't exist. Nor can they conclusively describe the origin of life and the universe in purely materialistic terms. I still can't figure out how the universe can come from nothing, for example, although I know there may be some smart arguments out there that try to make that case.

There are also obvious limitations on the theist side of this debate. Certainly direct experiential evidence of God isn't immediately available, at least to most people. And all the classic arguments for God's existence (like ontological, teleological, cosmological) have their classic refutations, which is a problem for sure.

As for my own take on evidence, argument and valid logic for justifying belief in God, it's a work in progress, definitely. I'll want to organize my thoughts before putting them out there to be shredded by an atheists forum. I do believe in God very deeply, and have committed my life very seriously to trying to worship God. I think I'm here, partially, to retrace my philosophical steps to getting where I am.

Thanks, everyone, for being cool and welcoming me here.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
(October 5, 2012 at 12:35 pm)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: It's interesting that atheists can't prove God doesn't exist.

Can you prove Santa doesn't exist?

Quote:Nor can they conclusively describe the origin of life and the universe in purely materialistic terms.

I beg to differ.

Quote: I still can't figure out how the universe can come from nothing

Just replace nothing with god did it, that seems to be the logical leap in thinking for so many people.

Quote:although I know there may be some smart arguments out there that try to make that case.

The question is are there any smart arguments to say the opposite?

Welcome, I've not had my mind blown yet, let me know when you plan on getting round to it.