Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it mean to be spiritual?
What does it mean to be spiritual?
How do you define spirituality?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: What does it mean to be spiritual?
The understanding of your own self awareness, your place in this world, your effect on this world and how you choose to perceive this world. Believe it or not our realities are not the same, the sum of all your experiences makes you who you are today and we all have different experiences.

So you see, whatever I am, what you like/dislike is just a result of all the shit that happened in my life.

I don't believe we can really define spirituality because of what it means to be a spiritual person changes based upon who is interpreting it.

In other words some people may define spirituality to be a religious phenomenon, or a humanist/naturist outlook on life.

But if you wish here is the real definition.
Definition of SPIRITUALITY

: something that in ecclesiastical law belongs to the church or to a cleric as such
: clergy
: sensitivity or attachment to religious values
: the quality or state of being spiritual
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
I should explain. About a month ago, when my Psych of Religion class was first starting to meet, we talked about spirituality and what it means to be spiritual. We got about as many answers as we had students. I'm just interested in running the discussion again. :3
Ive heard this spiritual bollocks a lot recently. Its a word that's been unbelievably corrupted by everyone that has a funny feeling to the point where its become absolutely useless as a description of any kind of feeling.
The point was to try and come up with an operation definition of what it was and that it's very difficult because it's incredibly subjective.
What the hell does "spiritual" mean?

Is it one of those made-up words that can be applied in any emotional context like "honour" for example?
All that really matters is what it means to you annik. So keep it spiritual, you don't need a definition to do that. Big Grin
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(October 5, 2012 at 3:38 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: What the hell does "spiritual" mean?

Is it one of those made-up words that can be applied in any emotional context like "honour" for example?

From my understanding... pretty much. It's cool to pick people's brains about it though.
Spiritual = good mark for con artists Big Grin
It is believing in fairy tales without believing in any specific fairy tale.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11106 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  What does "Separation of Church and State" mean? Brian37 54 3094 March 9, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16990 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What Does It Mean To Be Atheist. laserthought 47 11260 August 15, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Poland will get the support of Vatican in the course of the spiritual re-union... abija 9 3054 June 22, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Spiritual but not Religious (SBNR) TheMonster 40 6913 November 22, 2015 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ask A Spiritual Satanist... Sail Hatan 59 14972 September 18, 2015 at 5:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Spiritual Satanism Sail Hatan 20 3832 September 14, 2015 at 3:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Theists, what does faith mean to you? Tartarus Sauce 133 31689 August 14, 2015 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Just because somebody is a Cambridge Uni lecturer it doesn't mean they're smart...wtf ReptilianPeon 3 2065 June 25, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho