Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith healing couple acquitted of manslaughter charges! How can this happen?
Faith healing couple acquitted of manslaughter charges! How can this happen?
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that this is insane? Do we live in such a delusional word that this is acceptable? A 15 month old child died because the parents tried to pray her better. She had pneumonia and would have survived if they were to seek medical treatment. Now these parents are free to bread again, and probably kill again. I can't believe the jury came to this decision. It boggles my mind. At the very least these people should be in jail for manslaughter. The father was found guilty of criminal mistreatment. A misdemeanor. A juror said they convicted the father on the criminal mistreatment charge because they felt their should be some repercussion for the child's death. Repercussions for the child's death? Ha! I'm sure he will be put on probation, if that, for a little while and serve no jail time. This angers me to no end. This child was only 15 months old and died for no reason! It's a different story if the parents want to rely on prayer instead of seeing a medical professional, but how are we suppose to protect the children of these nut jobs?

Link: http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_cont...g=eng_news
binnyCoffee
RE: Faith healing couple acquitted of manslaughter charges! How can this happen?
(I put a link in your post btw)

This is simply terrible news. It's absolutely disgusting that even though the law was put in place to prevent this sort of thing, the parents manage to find a way around it. That church should be shut down and its entire congregation prosecuted.
RE: Faith healing couple acquitted of manslaughter charges! How can this happen?
Agreed! And thanks for putting up a link, I was so in shock by the whole thing it slipped my mindSmile
I just found out from my sister, the nut job mom is pregnant again.
binnyCoffee
Disgusting feature of religious dogma in its natural habitat.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
This is really disturbing and heartbreaking, but thanks for posting. I'll post a quick blurb on it to examiner.com
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Apparently the death rate of children in this church is 26 times higher than that of the general public. Clearly this is child abuse.
binnyCoffee
Stupid, just stupid. Here we are in the year 2009, and people still want to worship an invisible, magical wizard man in the sky. And because of this, innocent children, infants even, must be allowed to die needless death!? If anyone, and I mean anyone, can read a story like this, and still try to defend "the power of prayer", then they are stubborn fools.
I can't help it...
I think prayer has many uses, and is very useful. These people used it wrong. Some people jump off of tall buildings, so are tall buildings all bad with no redeeming qualities? I defend the power of prayer to do other things than what these people tried to make it do. Do I still get to be a stubborn fool?
-Pip
But Pippy,

Tall buildings are proven to actually do something.

Rhizo
(July 27, 2009 at 9:12 pm)Pippy Wrote: I can't help it...
I think prayer has many uses, and is very useful. These people used it wrong. Some people jump off of tall buildings, so are tall buildings all bad with no redeeming qualities? I defend the power of prayer to do other things than what these people tried to make it do. Do I still get to be a stubborn fool?
-Pip
Ow, I see. God will answer every prayer, unless you use it for the wrong things, like saving someone's life. How could I have been so blind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 12999 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1457 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34522 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2788 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Yeah, not going to happen!! Mystic 29 4757 October 18, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17012 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2510 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7825 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8778 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12649 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp